Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6340 to be quad-mode (1900/800 MHz TDMA, 1900 MHz GSM & analog)

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by amphibian, Mar 5, 2002.

1. amphibian

amphibian Senior Member

Nokia 6340 to be quad-mode (1900/800 MHz TDMA, 1900 MHz GSM & analog)

taken from

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.a...nternet&stt=000

New Phones Out Of The GAIT

By Peggy Albright
    March 4, 2002
    Wireless Week

For years now TDMA operators in the United States have looked to the day when they could offer phones that provide seamless roaming capabilities between TDMA and partnering GSM networks. Such phones finally are nearing commercialization and could, at long last, reach customers as early as this month.

Cingular Wireless is on track to launch its GAIT phones by late March. AT&T Wireless, meanwhile, is on a similar path. "We'll be making a couple announcements in the next month or so," says Ritch Blasi, spokesman for AT&T Wireless.

The cross-platform handsets, built according to specifications developed by the GSM ANSI-136 Interoperability Team (GAIT) initiative, were conceptualized a few years ago to facilitate roaming between TDMA and GSM core networks. The idea was to give U.S. TDMA and GSM operators the ability to roam on each others' systems and give American and international mobile phone users roaming capabilities when traveling abroad.

As with voice, roaming is critical to the success of wireless data services because business travelers and consumers alike expect to use the network wherever they are, even though most mobile networks essentially are regional in nature. With a GAIT phone equipped with GPRS, customers could take their next-generation features with them when they roam on partnering GPRS networks.

Several months ago, when AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless adopted GSM as the foundation for their next-generation networks, the anticipated GAIT handsets gained interest as forward- and backward-compatible products that customers could use as AT&T's and Cingular's networks evolved.

Since then, AT&T and Cingular Wireless have decided to share part of the burden of their GSM and GPRS buildouts along 3,000 miles of interstate highways in Midwestern and Western states. That has led some analysts to question whether the GAIT devices will have as long of a market life as they otherwise might have enjoyed.

Of course, Cingular and AT&T are confident they will. "Obviously, we still have the TDMA network that's serving most of our customers and the GAIT phone does exactly what we need. When we have a market that has both TDMA and GSM, it gives people another option. And it will have GPRS," Blasi says.

Cingular responds similarly. "GAIT will still be the tool Cingular uses to seamlessly deliver its products and services to customers as we migrate from TDMA to GSM," says Michelle Mindala, executive director of supply chain at Cingular.

Despite the loyalty of the two operators to these devices, so far only two vendors have shown a determination to provide solutions that address these operators' multi-band, multi-mode handset needs.

Nokia is set to distribute its 6340 device, a GAIT-compliant device that will allow users to roam between 1900 MHz GSM, 1900 MHz TDMA, 800 MHz TDMA and analog networks. It includes an electronic wallet feature to facilitate micropayments. It is not a GPRS product.

2. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

I've just received word from Nokia via email that the 6340 will be available for AT&T Wireless during the 2nd Qtr.

3. singledadlkng

singledadlkng New Member

I have learned from AT&T in Oct 02 that they will NOT be carrying the Nokia 6340 and opted for the 6310i instead.

I repeatedly argued, to no avail, that the 6310i is fine for the international traveler but provides nothing for the truckers and frequent travelers and military personnel who want the best of both worlds. AT&T said they have a GAIT phone referring to the Siemens...but added that it is not seamless and will drop calls between GSM and TDMA (no analog).

They also informed me that on the chartger $99/mo unlimited calling plan for GSM they are going to block the TDMA option on the Siemens or charge roaming charges if it goes into TDMA mode.

Another let down and a way to cheat us out of service.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nobody wants to sell it. It's a pig.

5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From what I have heard the reason why AT&T Wireless will not be selling the Nokia 6340 is because it is not a GPRS phone. Apparently AT&T only sells GSM phones that are GPRS capable.

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

That only makes sense. T-Mobile does the same thing.

7. parthery

parthery Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9810
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T is not going to block TDMA service on the Charter Plan....

However, they will happily charge you $.39/min if you make a call on a TDMA network.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    True GAIT phones such as Cingular's 6340 WILL DROP calls in session when moving between TDMA and GSM networks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...