Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6340 (Cingular/NYC/GSM)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

So it turns out the next phone to be offered in NYC (2 weeks?) is the Nokia 6340. GSM/TDMA/AMPS all in one... But it doesn't look half as nifty as the 8390 and appears to only come in Boring Grey(tm) and no faceplates show up on eBay. Also it appears gargantuan in size (over 5 inches long).

Anyone have any experience yet with this phone? I am really torn now...I would just buy the 8390 but I am worried if I'll have GSM coverage in the Hartford area and/or the Rochester, NY area...also when is GPRS going to be rolled out (which the 8390 has but 6340 does not)? If I'm bouncing between NYC, upstate, and CT will I be shooting myself in the foot with a GSM/GPRS phone?

Aggghhhhh we need a single nationwide standard rolled out now, so frustrating

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Nobody has the Nokia 6340 yet. The lastest I have heard for the date is Mid to late July but the date keeps getting pushed back Cingular was suppose to have the phone already.

3. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Cingular had the phones in the stores but they were all recalled. They never did get the SIM chips with the first batch, so they couldn't sell them when they had them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

If you are going with NYC Cingular GSM, then wait for the 6340. You will have the best of all worlds. I am assuming the NYC national plan will work like the TDMA markets using the 6340. You will be able to roam anywhere in the US 50 with no roaming. With a GSM only phone you are limited as some cities do not even have a GSM carrier along with the vast majority of rural areas.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    With the 6340 both GSM and TDMA networks are available to the user at no extra charge with a Cingular Nation plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

I was at the new Cingular Kiosk last night at a mall in North Jersey and they had the 6340 demo phone laying around. It was a non working model but she let me look at it. When I asked her when Cingular would start selling the phone she told me the target date is August 1st, but that could change. I am contemplating switching from AT&T but don't want to be limited to just GSM and want the TDMA and Analog option for roaming across the country. Since they are only selling GSM phones right now it's not a good choice if you frequently roam outside of the GSM area.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!

To the poster who farked with the demo model - did you find it clunky, too large? Small enough to fit in your pocket without looking like a tard? I'm not a belt holster person so I guess if I can't have the smoove b 8390 I'll settle for the bland model, just as long as it fits ok in my pocket [​IMG]

That nationwide free roaming thing sorta makes a difference [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

You know the 6340 wouldn't look so blah if you could put the faceplate from the 6360 or 70 on it!

9. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Also, in response to Mike, the 6340 doesn't require a special SIM if your existing SIM was made after March or April, 2002. The difference in the SIMs, from my understanding is that the old ones are 16k SIMs and the new ones are 32k. I know for a fact mine is 32k and I got it in late April. [​IMG]