Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6263 Useful Tip

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by M in LA, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    For any Nokia 6263 users out there on T-Mobile, here's some software information for you.

The 6263 comes from T-Mobile with software V05.20 (17-04-08 RM207). This is the current and most up to date software, BUT there is some difference between the version T-Mobile puts on the phone and the general version available from Nokia directly.

This has been talked about on the Nokia boards at HoFo (Howard Forums). T-Mobile cripples some features on the phone with their software. The Nokia version of the software uncripples some of those features, one of which is the ability to choose (under Settings> Phone> Network Mode) Dual Mode, UMTS, or GSM (the latter being a battery saver). Under this option with the T-Mo software, Dual Mode is automatic, with no other option available within the setting. Also, as T-Mobile activates their 3G UMTS service, the Nokia software allows you to see whether you're getting 3G or regular GSM. T-Mobile blocks the ability to see the 3G designation AT ALL on their software, so there's no real way to tell whether you're on their 3G network or not (apparently they want the transition to be invisible, I'm guessing??)

There are other minor changes that occur with a re-installation of the software from Nokia, such as adding a useless Push-To-Talk option (totally unusable with T-Mo), but from what I've read on HoFo, the Nokia software allows third-party software installations, whereas T-Mobile's software blocks this. I'm sure there are other changes I have yet to notice, so keep this in mind if you wish to update the software, as you might lose an option you had before. But there are FAR more benefits to the Nokia software that outweigh any negatives.

I was able to re-install the Nokia version software through installing Nokia PC Suite (Version 7.0) and from that, Nokia Software Updater. You know there is a USB cable that comes with the phone, so you're all set to connect your 6263 to your PC and update what you wish. Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Thanks for the very helpful tip. :)

On most of regular AT&T phones, the mode selection is also blocked.

What surprises me though, is not being able to see the 3G designation. Seems to me that T-Mobile is asking for trouble, I can see irate people complaining that they can't get 3G because they don't see it. Also AT&T CS will ask if I am on 3G if I call with a data problem. Maybe this was a mistake or a part of the software that blocks mode selection(still a mistake).

Just out of curiosity aymbol will be seen - "G"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 charlyee, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  3. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Interestingly, with the original T-Mobile software, the "G" was visible when packet data was set to "always online". With the Nokia version, now the "E" appears. I believe the T-Mo version, although showing "G", still accessed data at EDGE speeds. I don't understand why showing the "G" instead of the "E" was worthy of blocking? I don't get T-Mobile's logic on this. I'm just glad the Nokia software re-install returned my phone to the way Nokia designed it to be.

I'm guessing T-Mobiles taking a page out of Verizon & AT&T's tight-fisted control "manual" with their phones. They must have their reasons, but the logic behind it escapes me... :confused:

4. Flip Phone

Flip Phone New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6263
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have been trying to reload the Nokia software for sometime now. Where did you get the original software. This dual mode with no way to force 2G or 3G is driving me nutts.

5. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I found the firmware download at the Nokia USA web site, but it is no longer there. I'm not sure why it was removed, but I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile requested its removal.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you could get it now. The firmware version number is the same as the original T-Mobile one, just the original Nokia version.

6. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    AT&T did a similar thing with the Nokia 6126. The unbranded version would show either G or E, depending on whther it was EDGE or GPRS, but the branded one did not differentiate. As you pointed out, T-Mobile must've seen the light :)

If Nokia has removed it from their servers, then it doesn't really matter whether you can get your hands on it or not as you wouldn't be able to apply it with PC Suite/NSU without major hacking.

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'm guessing T-Mobile got wind of this little loophole and had Nokia remove the firmware update from their site. I'm glad I updated it when I did...

8. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Same thing happened with AT&T E62 a few years ago...

9. rony1434

rony1434 New Member

Hi.
    Hey mate thanks for sharing this useful tips.

10. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    This firmware is no longer available on the Nokia site. If you wanted to update to it, your window is closed and has been for a long time.

Time to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.