Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6185 on Verizon?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by westyman, Jul 20, 2004.

1. westyman

westyman New Member

I'm currently using a Nokia 3285 on Verizon in Maryland. This phone has been replaced once already under warranty (dropped calls after dialing), now the new one has other problems at only six months old. I hate the action and feel of the 3285. I have a 6185, it seems to have better sound quality, button feel, and overall better build quality. Verizon tells me it is not compatible, however I found it on their website in a web search. Was there a TDMA AND CDMA version (not sure which Verizon uses?) or is it really not compatible? The phone label says 'Model 6185 Type NSD-3AX'. I'd love to use this phone to replace the 3285, Verizon/Nokia no longer offers anything else that I like at all. What says ye experts? :confused:

2. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I found this information
    http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/reviews/nokia6188.asp

It is a CDMA phone which is the network that Verizon runs off of.
    The only thing I could suggest is activating it yourself from verizon.com

Go on and register and sign up.... it has a place where you can insert the esn number of your phone and then just do a *228 and option 1 to program.

Some of the moderators or more knowledgeable people of this forum may have a better suggestion...
    but if you do it this way you will avoid having to call in and them telling you no. i have a older 2 band audiovox phone that I keep for backup. and when my stepfather's nokia 5185i phone finally kicked the bucket...they gave me trouble over the line to switch over stating that the phone was too old. i said no it isn't...I just used it. I didn't want my parents to sign a new contract from their older plan...so I hung up and went to the website and did it myself. Everyone was happy and there wasn't any pressure from the sales people to sign up for a new phone and contract or plan.
    good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Yes, by using their Online Activate phone feature, you can activate & use that 6185 on VZW. You may have to select "other" or 5185 from a menu if asked what model # the phone is.
    Also keep in mind that the 6185 phone needs to be "unlocked". Sprint PCS CDMA phones, for example, have an internal code that was changed by Sprint, & would be unknown to the user. This may cause the *228 options to fail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. westyman

westyman New Member

I went through the online activation, and it turns out the phone is a Sprint phone after all. Any way of unlocking it, or should I get another 6185 that has been on Verizon? I really like the 6185, any other Nokias based on the same chassis that will have the same build quality and digital modem?

5. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I am in the same boat as you. I have a Sprint 6185 that I would like to be able to use, but I haven't been able to get the service programing code. I posted here a long time ago, but nobody knew how to get it. Anybody here able to help me and my boy westyman? :banghead: