Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6170 Question

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by mukkala, Dec 11, 2005.

1. mukkala

mukkala New Member

I bought an Unlocked Nokia 6170 GSM phone from compusa for $199. I am planning to take this phone to India where carriers work at 900Mhz frequency. The manual for this phone mentions that this works for 900 MHz also. But the data at Compusa website mentions that it works in GSM 850/1800/1900 MHz frequencies only.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336222&pfp=srch1

Can somebody please clarify that this phone works in all frequencies?

Thanks,
    Hari.

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello Hari, the 6170 like all other Nokias available on the market at the present time, is a trimode phone. It does come in 2 versions , the US version 850/1800/1900 & the Eurasian version 900/1800/1900.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=557

If your manual says it has 900 then you have the Eurasian version, so it will work fine in India.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you planning to use this in the US also then you are limiting yourself to 1900 only, which will give you problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mukkala

mukkala New Member

Hi Charlyee,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Manual mentioned all four frequencies.So, I am not sure if this is Europian version. Is there a way we can find out which version the phone is?

Thanks,
    Hari.

4. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hari, unfortunately in that case I think you got the 850 version.

The 6230 had a suffix of "b" to differentiate the 2 versions.

Why don't you call Nokia CS and give them the IMEI No. and they will be able to tell you. Ask for tech support.

The only other way would be to hack into the phone with some modding software, I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hari, I don't know what part of India you are going to but there are quite a few 1800 providers in the Northern & Western parts. If this is for a temporary use then you maybe able to get by. When you call Nokia also ask them for a list of the providers & frequencies in the places that you want, they have a extremely exhaustive data base on this.

6. mukkala

mukkala New Member

I will be In Hyderabad, Southern Part of India. This will be for permanant use for my relatives. I am planning to return this and buy a Razr which looks like works in all frequencies.