Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6161

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Eve, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Eve

Eve New Member

Does anyone have experience with the Nokia 6161 with Cingular service? How is the reception? How does it compare to the 8260 or 3360?

2. erub

erub Junior Member

I have Cingular service, with the Nokia 3360. I've never tried the 6161, but it looks like that is a much larger phone than the 3360 or 8260. I had a digital StarTAC before I got the 3360, and I thought I wouldn't sound as clear on the 3360 because the mouth piece isn't directly below my mouth with the phone in my ear. Nobody has complained, so I'm guessing I sound fine :) Reception and battery life are both very good on the 3360 (battery life ran for about 55 hrs for me, with 20 mins of talk time, very acceptable). It also can charge up in about an hour from no charge, has downloadable rings, and has Snake 2 :). If you have any other questions about it, I can try to answer em :)

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I have never hear of the 6161. I think you must have intended to say the 6160. That phone is an excellent phone. As the poster above indicated, it is bigger than the more recent entries in the market. Because it is an older technology, it is missing some of the messaging features some have come to expect. The 6160i addressed those needs, however.

According to CNet.com, the 6360 is supposed to be hitting the market around February 2002. It is the updated (sleeker, lighter) version of the 6160. Depending on my personal finances at the time it is released, I am considering giving my Panasonic Allure to my wife and getting the Nokia.

http://whitehare.topcities.com/WirelessPhones.htm
    http://www.ureach.com/yoda2u (See the "Filing Cabinet")

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin

The 6161 is the same phone as the at&t 6162 but its for cingular and at&t in canada

5. Eastexan

Eastexan New Member

Hello, Kevin. I just about moved from AT&T to Cingular a few months back, and told them I liked my 6162 and would want a phone comparable to it. They said they still had a 6161 left over(they had been discontinued), and it was almost exactly the same as the 6162. It has a flip and looks very similar to the 6162. At that time they were discontinuing the 6161 and pushing the 7160(which is an awesome phone). When I saw the 7160, I was smitten with it, and forgot all about the 6161. But when I found out that Cingular was roaming on Alltel amps in a lot of the area I travel in, I decided against them. Alltel is CDMA, and since Cingular is TDMA, I knew they would never be Digitally compatable, and would allways roam on amps in the Alltel area. But I guess the 6161,6162,6160 and the 7160 are all going by-by to make room for the 6360, which I am salivating to get.
    By the way, I wonder what happened to Leah. I always enjoyed her input, butI haven't seen any of her posts in quite a while.

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Well, you know, the saying goes: "You learn something new every day." This is news to me.

Where's that humble pie? I'll have a slice now.

Thank you anonymous, whoever you are.

7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi EasTexan,

I just figured your "name" out!

Leah wrote me recently. She has been very busy with the seasonal sales going on. She is/was hoping to rejoin us when the December is done and gone. I also miss her.