Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Not all my laptops have BT, so the IRDA can be useful.

Yes, I find it truly amazing clarity, esp. considering the congestion and the number of users in the city. Of course most of the euro cities are very flat and most buildings not over a few stories. Not like the hills in CT or the skyscrapers in NYC

Thanks, I don't really like PTT, but it was another feature that the 6126 lacks over the 6131. But I guess it is a mute point, as you say. I'm hoping to have my new phone next week sometime.

Et tu, Bobolito?

In the meantime, I can get started on my new Avatar...

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    So far so good. I love the screen clarity. Wow!!!

I don't care for the battery indicator, though. Overall, I really like the phone.

By the way, there is a thin protective covering on the screen. It's not as barebones as I've heard some people say (mostly on HoFo). Me likes!:D :browani:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is great. It also shows that Cingular cancelled this phone at the last minute (or after, depending on your definition ;) ). It must be expensive to print up brochures for a new phone and to start filling up the retail channel with accessories. Somebody at Cingular made the decision to cut their losses rather than release a phone they didn't want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but today on the SunCom site I clicked on Phones, and entered Zip codes for Raleigh, NC 27601 and Taylors, SC 29687 (my Dad lives there). The Nokia 6126 does not come up.

:confused:

5. wildrock

wildrock Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Chinook
    Go to the Nokia USA site, find the 6126, and enter Asheville NC (28802). It'll come up with the phone from SunCom.

Jim

6. wildrock

wildrock Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Chinook
    Nokia 6131

And with that, you all must know that I've done my homework, and gave up on getting a 6126 and went ahead and purchased a 6131. Ordered through Hi-Mobile. It shipped out of Hong Kong and is sitting in the UPS depot down the street--36 hours after ordering. And it's saturday morning, and I'll have to wait until tuesday to get it. Almost makes you want to go and break down some doors.:rolleyes: . I'll report back on it and see how it works on the new GSM network that Chinook, here in Montana, converted to. [OK, why doesn't the trackback feature work for me on this forum? Look for the Chinook forum in the Wester Us Regional forum]

Jim

#246 wildrock, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  7. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Thanks, but that's a separate issue. I understand from other posts that Nokia is selling the 6126, but only with a SunCom contract. I want to know if I can buy the 6126 without a contract. viewfly indicated that he had seen a no-contract price on the Suncom site. I don't see it on the SunCom site at all.

Edit:

Perhaps I misunderstood viewfly's post - I assumed he was referring to the SunCom site, but in a later post he refers to Nokia listing a "phone only" price for comparison. SunCom does sell their phones without a contract. Some are unlocked, unbranded and some are locked, branded. I guess I will have to wait until it shows up on their site.

Thanks for the help.

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad you like it Mike, how did you find out about the protective covering? - just curious.
    Ooh that would bug me so bad to have to wait until Tuesday knowing it is at the local UPS warehouse. I have been following the Chinook thread quite dilligently so I will look forward to your experience with GSM & the 6131. :)
    So what will you do when it does? Buy one at no contract price under your father's zipcode & get it unlocked & unbranded? I would wait until Nokia sells a true unbranded & unlocked 6126 since you are so busy & having so much fun educating LG & Cingular, why even worry about the 6126? :lmao:

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    No, I only saw the non contract price on the Nokiausa site. And one could not buy the phone at that price...it was only for comparison on Nokia'a page (for Nokia to show you what a great deal you were getting). The phone was only sold with a contract with SunCom, via Nokia

Sorry that I was confusing. My 'Cingular' case was shipped on Friday.

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So I don't get this whole deal about the lack of protective covering. I assume the 6131 screen looks like my laptop or PC LCD screen, with the same protection...Right? So when I press the screen, I can see pressure from my finger causing the pixels to blend around in colors. But that covering is pretty rough, no?

You all must mean an extra piece of glass over the screen, somewhat like the V' series motorola's

vf

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. in fact somewhere I made the remark that the screen was just like my IPAQ screen. Yes, what it does not have is the extra piece of glass offset from the actual screen. I personally like it this way because dust does not get in and the LCD screen is much tougher and scratch resistent than any piece of glass/plastic covering it. The inset does make it a little difficult to clean the corners though.

12. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Well, I have a Motorola BT dongle that I would prefer to set up and use at home. I also have the DKU-2 data cable. However, on my work laptop, the decided to get this years models WITHOUT BT, so I have to use IrDA for syncing with Outlook. For large data transfers, I would use the cable or BT, but for syncing, IrDA is convenient and simple.

-Vapor03

13. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I think viewfly answered it perfectly and I did exactly what he did.

My sentiments exactly!

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here is a source for OEM replacement LCD screens and faceplates for the 6131. Pretty cheap too. $45.

Also a replacement antenna.

http://cnn.cn/shop/nokia-6131-c-24_166.html

I learned that the glass covering the grocery price scanners have a thin layer of sapphire over them. Sapphire is the next hardest material behind diamond. These new thin coatings are finding their way into watches and the like. I wonder if newer LCD screens will have the same. These hard robust coatings have become cheap and easy to apply.

The way of the future. and perhaps it is here.

vf

15. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Fun isn't exactly what I'd call it, but I am definitely on a mission ;) And I'm not worried about it, I just like to know what my options are.

Yes, if SunCom sells what I want, and are funny about mailing it to an out of state address, I can always have them send it to my Dad's house. One SunCom sales rep I spoke to said that they sometimes sell unlocked, unbranded phones.

Of course, if Nokia does sell it unlocked, I'd be happy to buy it from them. Do we have any evidence that they are planning on doing this?

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here's a picture of the replacement OEM faceplate for the 6131, and also the LCD. See links above.

Charlyee et al, if you go to this link (see above), the replacement antenna photo will finally resolve your question about where the antenna is!!!

P.S. working on my avatar, but still waiting for delivery this week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a link on how to replace the 6101/6103... may not be too different from the 6131...i'm still looking though.

http://www.hyperky.com/nokia_6101_faceplate_installation_guide.html

I note that you can buy just the front bezel for $4.00!

#256 viewfly, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey Charlyee (and other current and potential 6131 users), the Labor Day weekend caused a delay with my phone from the Uk, but it arrived today in illinois, and was shipped today to me.

Should have it soon.

The TFT LCD screen is pretty tough. I removed the faceplate of my 6230 (that has the plastic protection on it). Powering the 6230 on, the bare TFT looks so much nicer (but still low resolution). Having the plastic barrier is nice protection, but it really degrades the image by giving a slight interference pattern between the TFT and the plastic.

I can imagine the 6131 will look super. I think I will forgo the screen protector I ordered, because it will dim the TFT's clarity.

Meanwhile, I'm been reading the downloaded manuals. I get as much fun from them as the real phone!

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Found this on Phonescoop today.

FCC approves 6126H and 6133H (NOT 6131H)...anyone know something about these?

I also saw the 6126H model listed separately from the 6126 for Pictbridge standards and Nokia firmware updates.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/nokia_6126h_and_6133h_get_fcc_approval.html

"Nokia's 6126H/6133H GSM cell phone has got the green signal from the Federal Communications Commission, otherwise known as the FCC on these pages. The models seem to be upgrades to the Nokia 6126/6133 phones, although it's not quite clear at the moment"

see rest of article. Maybe something is up.

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    6126H? hmmm....maybe Cingular has something up their sleeves. I think I'll wait for that one instead. ;)

20. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hsdpa!?!?!?!?!?

21. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Nahh, Cingular, Shmingular...:p

I'm quite happy with my 6131. :D

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You may have already seen it on HoFo, but there is a poster there who claims to work for Cingular and he/she said that XXXXH stand for the Hearing Aid Compatible versions. I don't know how credible he is bobolito probably knows more. I looked up the Nokia firmware codes and there are quite few models that have an "H" version.

You sure do have patience ;)

We can always dream :)

My sentiments exactly, btw the what's with name change, trying to hide from someone?...:D

23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    viewfly, your new avatar is just gorgeous, I really like it. If it was shipped yesterday from IL, you should get it today or tomorrow. I am kind of a screen protector person, I had screen protectors on all my phones except the 6230 because it's covers were so readily available and easy to change. I am always worried that my earrings will scratch the screen. I believe it is safe to assume that you don't have that concern...:D . I also have screen protectors on my PDAs. The Martin Field's screen protector does not noticeably dim the TFT's clarity at least in my eyes.

I got my case yesterday and it is kind of interesting. It is a thin soft, pliable silicone case. It does not add too much bulk to the phone and the all black matt finish looks good with the phone. There is no protection over the screens or the key pad and will probably not provide much protection against any severe mishaps. Couple of things I don't like, the material seems to attract lint and also the the cover prevents the the 2 parts of the phone from sitting flush and I can see a slight gap (no comments necessary Steve :D).

It will be good for bumps and scrapes and also for putting it down on rough surfaces. It is washable so stains can easily be removed. I will certainly keep it on atleast for the duration of my trip.

#263 charlyee, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  24. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Just saw this on HOFO. Haven't verified it, but thought it may be of some interest:

Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 3.50 to version 3.70:
    - Call and network management
    - Improvement in order to trigger a location update to the HLR
    - Messaging
    - Handling of voice message waiting indicator improved
    - New features added
    - Automatic keyguard lock
    - FOTA
    - Progressive Download
    - Standby time improvement
    - Updated games and applications
    - Calculator, eMail Client 4, Mobile QQ, Wireless Presenter, Preminet,
    Sensor, Snake 3D, Soccer 3D, Translator, Visual Radio and World
    Clock

Firmware version 3.72 and 3.73 are only for newly supported variants. No changes to the actual software of the phone.

I also ordered the MF screen protectors that Charlyee mentioned. The inside screen one is great. Now that it is on, I don't even realize it is there. Heck, I had to double check to make sure that it didn't come off. As for the outside one, I unfortunately installed it backwards. It collected a lot of lint. While cleaning it to reinstall, I scratched it so now it won't make full contact. Doesn't really hurt my feelings as I wasn't wild about it not covering the entire mini-display.

25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thank you Charylee. I like the way my avatar shows of the brilliant 6131 screen. It's a keeper. I was cheap and got the normal shipping, so it is tracked for delivery Friday. I did get my Cingular leather case. It is pretty nice. Also received the power plug adapters...the new power plug is very tiny.

I ordered the Expert Shield protector...I think these are all the same PET screens that use the Crystal Clear patent. I hope I like it. My other case (like yours) is in the mail too. I read one post about the internal screen scratching when closed, so maybe the protectors or the offset from the silicone case will help that.

Maybe the H stands for Hybrid. I thought all Nokia phones could deal with hearing impairment with a special headset.

Oh well, I have my weekend cut out for me! Yea, good catch on the earrings...I don't wear them, except for the stick on kind my daughter put on me once, and I forgot to remove when I went down to the hardware store!

:eek:

26. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I just use clear screen protectors (originally bought for the Palm Vx) that I cut to size for my phone's screens - even though it has a plastic/glass layer in front of the LCD, I don't want this to get scratched. The protector cuts down on brightness a bit, but I can live with that. If I got a permanent scratch, it would bother me much more.

Picky, picky. :D

Where are you going?

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was purposely ignoring that post in HoFo since nobody is going to tell me that I don't have the PERFECT phone, but I see that there is no escaping it. :D

Seriously when you get chance I would love to find out what the actual differences are between your 3.7 and my 3.5. I think both of ours are for the Asian market so that should not have any imapct on the differences.

Here is my take:
    FOTA-the option exists but I get error messages.
    Auto keylock-no.
    I have the translator, world clock, calculator, visual radio, Presenter, Sensor, Snake II, Soccer 3D & Sudoku.
    About the rest of it I am either not sure what they are or have no idea how to evaluate then.

Your turn......

PS: I think the Axim screen protector has full cover for the front screen. I had a heck of a time installing it and finally gave it up and ordered the MF. My front one does not make full contact either, I think I bent one corner while installing it and trying not to get finger prints on the inside.

28. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well, I don't live in Long Beach, CA anymore and I have been considering a change for some time. I think my new name explains me perfectly.:browani:

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The 6126 was released by FIDO in Canada today.

$100 3 year
    $150 2 year
    $275 no contract
    $300 pre pay
    $300 regular price

So what was wrong with the phone for Cingular?? I guess at that price, i would be the 6131 and get the radio and a few other things. Plus there are many users now.

So now that is Suncomm and Fido that have the 6126.

30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I guess if the H stands for hearing impaired, that means no radio...