Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I was told next week. But the on line tracking has gone from 3 days to 1 day to 9 days to 7 days. It just follows whatever is on the main web page.

But I called and the guy said they had 3 in the UK that they were shipping to Illinois, and my would be one of them.

Fingers crossed.

2. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

Page 21 of the UG shows that you shouldn't make contact with the antennae of the phone while in use. They show the phone flipped open with a finger resting where the "Nokia" is on the front of the phone. Guess it is on the top half.

Sorry, I didn't notice that the 6131 updates were only OTA. That sucks. If you select 6682 it toggles to "via PC". I didn't even notice that there were two ways. Heck if I would trust a firmware update OTA.

The autolock is nice, but based on your having the "perfect phone" (HOFO) then I wouldn't mess with it either.

May I inquire as to where you ordered your phone from?

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The NokiaUSA.com site is now selling the 6126 direct ($129. with SunCom service plans). No Cingular.

The manual is also on line (6126 version).
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

BTW, the 6126 has just the opposite warning as the 6131 manual: one shows the antenna at the bottom, the other at the top....go figure

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, is that the only place I said that? I thought I said that every opportunity I got. When I first got my 6230 back on 11/3/04, I did the same thing and I think viewfly just got too tired of reading about it and went and got one for himself....:D .

The location of the antenna now makes much more sense, thanks. Now about the microphone.....;) .

Question for you, I think you are in KY, any problems with the VMI indicator and also what SIM do you have?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Not sure, see my post above...the 6126 and 6131 manuals are different concerning the antenna location.

The NokiaUSA.com site is now selling the 6126 direct ($129. with SunCom service plans). No Cingular

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Very interesting where to hold the phone and where not to, is exact opposite between the 6131 & the 6126 per the respective user guides. These 2 basically identical phones cannot possibly have the antenna in 2 different locations.

The SunCom connection is interesting, why would Nokia not sell the 6126, unlocked and unbranded directly like they do with all other phones. Obviously the phone is ready, maybe eventually? Will you regret getting the 6131 if the 6126 becomes directly available from Nokia?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yes, it must be a misprint on the antenna. The Razr is on the bottom, certainly.

No regrets, except for price, which I couldn't get anyhow without SunCom. I do want the FM and the IrDA. Why would Suncom have solve the problems and not Cingular??

I do note that the 6126 phone price, without plan, for North Carolina zip code is only $204.99

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That's good to know and yes I definitely want the FM radio but could possible do without the IrDA.

It is so hard to speculate on why SunCom and not Cingular, is SunCom less picky? Maybe so. My contacts at the Cingular corporate store still insist that it is just pushed back and not cancelled. Cingular seems to be doing the same thing with the V3i and yet they sure marketed the cu500 and the zx20 quickly. Based on that maybe they are promoting the 3G phones? I look forward to your assesment of the phone and some thoughts on why it did not pass Cingular's testing.

The $204.99 no contract price is fantastic, I wonder if that is what Nokia will price it at if they ever open it up to everyone.

PS: I have been reading so many complaints about SunCom lately that maybe they see the 6126 as being able to boost their reputation.

#218 charlyee, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  9. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

No VMI issues, but I am getting the popping that everyone is talking about. It's not that bad, but it is something that I am going to try to eradicate by getting a 64k 3G SIM. I might already have one from a RAZR I bought off of someone ealier this year. He gave me the SIM with it and I know that it is different.

No regrest on the 6131. I use the IrDA port to sync with my laptop and having FM is nice. I would like to have a warranty though. After having had a 6230 die on me in 7 months I am a little skittish.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am not sure exactly what you mean but you know that a SIM card can not be reactivated.......right? It is a one time deal only. I am presuming that the RAZR did not come with an active SIM ofcourse. In any case all you have to do is go down to your local store and ask them for a 64K, 3G and they should give you one....:)

I hear some popping sometimes during the ringing or while on hold but only when I am on 850 MHz

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    www.mobileplanet.com, a US divison/distributor of www.eXpansys.com, a UK company.

I don't really why their would be any connection between the SIM and popping noises

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now I would order the phone from Suncom, but then I am sure the phone is locked! :mad:

13. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It looks to me like the "Loudspeaker" is actually the microphone. It would make sense considering the location.

Also, what is the clicking sound people are talking about?? It isn't the theme sound effects that occur when the flip is opened? :confused:

14. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    No I didn't know it was a one time dealy. I have never had issue to deal with SIM cards before. His card had been activated, so I guess I can take it out of the box and throw it away now ;). It was a 64K NON-3G anyway.

Well, SIM cards have a lot to do with network selection and availibility. There has been speculation that they help with the "popping" sound on 850mhz. If it doesn't cost me anything to try it and find out, it won't hurt.

There is a soft "popping" or "clicking" noise that can be heard during a call. It is most noticeable during the ringing of the line you are calling and during silence on a phone call. The phone clarity is awesome over and above this "issue" and it's not something I would get rid of the phone over, but it doesn't hurt to try and rectify.

15. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Anyone know how to specifiy memory location for receiving files over IrDA or Bluetooth when not using PC Suite to navigate? :confused: :confused:

Example: I transferred a .doc and .exe that I want to take home over IrDA, basically using it as a "thumb drive". It goes to the Gallery and appears to save to the phone, but I can move it to the card later. I would like these kinds of transfers to straight to the memory card.

According to the owners manual, you can save to either, but I didn't see where to specify the original receiving location.

Thanks!

Vapor03

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    With my 6230, the phone mounts like a hard drive and I can see all the folders in the phone. I just drag a music file to the location of choice, including the memory card.

I hope it works the same with the 6131

vf

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yea, probably it will be. On the Nokia site, even though they have a phone only price, there is no option to buy it except with a SunCom plan. The math is only shown to let you know how much of a discount your're getting.

I agree with Charlyee, given the poor reviews of SunCom posted here, they probably don't care if the phone has problems or not.

Any one have an idea if the PTT on the 6131 will work with Cingular?

18. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    with a bluetooth connection, as soon as i get the message saying "file/tone/whatever received" i hit option and MOVE, then pick my memory card. i have not tried IrDA yet, so i am not sure how that works.

19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hey Mike, how do you like the phone? I am not sure a loudspeaker and a microphone can be combined, I would think there would be massive feedback.
    I feel that it is the phone's clarity that is making the popping/clicking sound more audible. I have heard it on other phones, most recently on my PEBL but since the sounds are alittle muffled on the PEBL and not as "true" as on the 6131, it is not that noticeable.
    Yep, that's exactly how the 6131 works also.
    As far as I know it will not work but I haven't done any major investigation into it. :O

As an aside, I will have the opportunity in a couple of weeks to try out both the 900 and 1800 over 5 countries. This is the first time I am doing any major travelling with a quad band phone, typically I have taken my Cingular SIM and put it in my trusty V66 when I travel to the 900 countries. It will be nice to not have to do that and be able to continue using my 6131....:) . I am also looking forward to seeing how it fares in the 900 and 1800 areas.

20. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    i tried to run the advanced settings from the nokia website (part of those is PTT) and there was no option for USA when choosing the country part of the settings, so i assume it is unavailable.

the phone itself tells me to contact my phone service provider when i try to go to the PTT settings menu.

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yep, I will trying my 6131 in Paris on 900/1800 with Cingular in a few weeks too. Don't you just love the huge roaming footprint we have with Cingular?

I'd love to see Cingular run a TV ad in front of the Eiffel Tower, with the Cingular guy and the Verizon guy standing side by side: the Cingular guy speaks into his phone: "Can you hear me now?" Then the Cingular/French network guys hiding behind the tower can pop out and show their support ! :) The Verizon guy is shown standing alone, frustrated and borrows the GSM phone so that he can call home to Verizon to get a new phone.

That would make a good ad.

22. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    That is exact same process for IrDA. My concern is if I want to send a file that would exceed the phones memory, say like a 15mb file.

Yes, this is how it works when using PC Suite, but I don't see the phone listed in "My Computer" anywhere when I establish a connection with the PC. :(

23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I see mine listed in "My Computer" under "Other" as "Nokia Phone Browser", and then "Nokia 6131". I am connected via BT not IrDA but that should not make any difference.

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You need to use the Bluetooth tools to see the folders. Normally, this software does not come with the PC, but is downloaded from Dell, in my case.

25. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Oh how I wish it were so :) "Nokia Phone Browser" is part of the PC Suite software. I just tested on a co-workers laptop and all I could do was send files to phone memory.

This is what I would expect. On Bluetooth with the additional software it requires, this doesn't surprise me.

To clarify on my end-goal, I was hoping to be able to use the phone as a flash drive (specifically to the microSD card) to be able to pull files on other computers. Doesn't appear that is going to be an option :(

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Look at this! Go here to see a Cingular package wrapped leather case for the 6126/6131. Scroll down a ways and see the cases package in a Cingular wrap...look at the larger image to see clearly the "for 6126"

I believe it is the same on that Nokia sells and makes, but with a Cingular package wrap!!

I found on ebay @ http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-CINGULAR-CA...ryZ35200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, at http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-CINGULAR-CA...ryZ35200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For $13.00, I will order one.

Since the vendor says it come in the original Cingular package, I will take it to the local store and ask if I can buy the phone that matches the case!!:rolleyes: Should be funny.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Gotcha, sorry I have PC Suite installed in every computer I work on so I completely forgot about the Nokia browser being part of the PC Suite.:O
    So the saga of the elusive 6126 continues. :rolleyes: .

Talking about case, I don't usually do cases but I decide to get this one to least protect it during my trip. I figured a silicone case would add less bulk than a leather one.

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Nice find...I'm bit of a case freak. I can never decide to go 'bareback' or with a case. As a result I have too many.

Some people like shoes, i go for cases. I like your find.

Does it have a cover for the screen?

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, I don't have it yet so I am not sure if it has a cover for the screen but I have screen protector on both screens so I wasn't exactly looking for one with either. I may have cut the timing down too short and may not even get it before I leave. I did have a case for the V66 because it was my travellong phone, and I had it for almost 4 years too. The only other phone that I bought a case for was the 6682 but the phone was too pretty and I never used the case.

30. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Vapor, Charlyee, technically, you can re-activate a SIM card, but only on the same phone number it was previously active. Usually, carriers will simply give you a new SIM and most people will deny this can be done. It also has to do with the company's goal. If your SIM is very old from a previous company name (like Pacific Bell which became Cingular) then they won't let you reactivate that one under no circumstances.

I'm just curious, why would you want to use IRDA when the phone has the much better Bluetooth technology? It's like trying to use a 1.44 MB floppy disk on a computer that can use CDs and USB flash drives. I have a bias against IRDA because I used it in the old days and it was unreliable, worked half the times and it was painfully slow. On the other hand, I love Bluetooth! ;)

Viewfly, Charlyee, don't you love the call quality in Europe? When I was in Spain this year, I realized how good my V635 could sound. It has never sounded so clean, loud and clear in its life. :) The only thing is they still use the old EFR codec there so handoffs are more 'bumpy' than here.

By the way, the PTT on this phone is the PoC type which is not compatible with Cingular. It won't work. Cingular's PTT requires special software on the phone (Kodiak RTX) which is not available to anyone, except to Cingular who preloads it on the phones they want to sell the PTT capability on.