Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi there, I just tried the Nokia site and it seems to be working, it may have been down temporaririly, please give it another try.
    Yes, so does mine, isn't it great to have a phone that does what it is supposed to do and do it so well. :)

PS: I am not sure if you believe in screen protectors but here is the one I have. It has both the internal and external protector. The internal went on without a hitch but the external took a few tries and it is still not right.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    the nokia site worked this morning, so i have all my settings now. this thing is pretty quick online. :thumb:

4. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    To Charlyee and other contributers of this thread,

You have provided a wealth of information on the 6131 as well have many other users in this thread. Thank you all, you made it easier for me to go ahead and pull the trigger on ordering a 6131.

Being a Cingular customer, I try not to think about issues with voice mail icons and "clicking" during calls, but I was so mad that they seem to cancel or delay the 6126 that I knew I would have to get the 6131. It was that or the w810i from SE and I have read too many concerns about low volume and the lack of a cover over the camera lens. Besides, I want and need a great phone first and everything else is icing.

I had a 6230 about a year ago that died on me. It wa sin warranty, but Nokia could neither fix nor replace it. They ended up buying it back from me at about 70% of what I paid for it 7 months prior. Oh how I loved that phone and especially the S40 interface. I got a 6682, but the S60 was too much for me. While I found some great apps for it, the phone was just too big and too much like a computer.

Anyway, thanks to all again. :wink: This thread is the first one that I really got into on Wireless Advisor, but I am sure that I will be back much more now.

I also went ahead and got the MF screen protector. Great find Charlyee! :)

-Vapor03

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi WG, thanks for the link. Interesting how close his pros & cons are to mine, all except the push to open flip which I really like.
    Good to know have fun......:)
    Hi Vapor03, WELCOME to WA, and I am glad we could help a little. Now that this thread got you in here, please don't be a sranger, come often and post.:) . I may be totally off but is there any chance that you own a 2003 VW Vapor? Just curious, I almost got one when it is first introduced, not sure which year but it was before 2002.

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    always glad to share, :D

7. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

Thanks for the welcome :wink: No, don't own (or acutally know of) a VW Vapor. Name came from kind of an inside joke about some software.

So what kind of vehicle is a Vapor? Is it a European variant of one of the US VW's? Just curious.

I'll try not to be a stranger. I am sure I will have a few things to share/say once I get the phone on Thursday :) Ordered it from wireless_experts off of e-bay. Their phones seemed to have the latest firmware and I have heard of now adapter/power issues.

Would you by chance know for sure if the AC-4 charger (that I used on my 6230 and 6682 w/ the BLC-5 batteries) will work OK with the 6131?

Thanks!

Vapor03

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ah I see, Vapor came from "vaporware"...:D . The Vapor I was referring to was a limited addition color for the new beetle, I think it was in 2000, it was sort of a cloudy grey/blue look. Actually it did look like it would be invisible in a fog or mist.

Now back to the 6131, I thought the AC-4 was the charger for the 6101/6102 and not the 6230/6682. The 6131 uses the same charger that the 610x uses. The charger for the 6230/6682, if I remember right has a larger diameter probe. The actual charger that I have is the AC-3U, which is the compact travel charger for the 6126/6131

HTH.

PS: When you get the phone, could you please post what firmware version and language pack yours is?. I have the original 3.5 but I have had mine for almost 3 months which is coming up to a new record for me....:D

#188 charlyee, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  9. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    ^ if i am not mistaken, a VW Vapor was a limited edition of the VW New Beetle and the name comes from the color of the car. it was a light-blue-ish car called Vapor Blue. you could only buy it online and i think they were out around 2002 or so.

Charlyee...........are you a VW girl? :browani:

EDIT: you beat me to it! LOL

10. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ok, I gave in and just ordered my 6131...:)

I'm in the club!

Thanks to Charlyee for confirming some loose ends. !!

viewfly

11. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    heheh..congrats! i dont think you will regret it, i love this thing so far!

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, didn't I do that once before also.....:D. I am not really a VW girl, but I have always loved the original "bug" and the description of the vapor color intrigued me.
    Congratulations viewfly, I am sure you will like it, specially coming from the 6230. I can't wait to hear you opinion about it...:) .

PS: Shouldn't Nokia be giving me a comission or better yet a free N73, for all the 6131s I am helping sell......:D

13. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    yes you have! :thumb: and i just had to ask, because the vapor is something that mostly enthusiasts only would remember.

and yes, you should get a free n73. i only have the 6131 because of this thread. otherwise i would be sitting in the corner bi#ching that the 6126 is no more!

14. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

Ah! A color, wasn't thinking about colors, I was thinking about models :)

As for the charge, I am having to go by matching up pictures, as mine does not have a "model"# on it. I did use it on my 6230 and 6682 though. As long as I can charge what ever phone I get, I'll be happy.

We have a sado-masochistic (sp?) PIA - piece of hardware configuration software called Vapor. Can't remember how/why I used that name :)

I am REALLY hoping that the "language pack" is ENGLISH - Else :eek: - But I think that I know what you are after.

Viewfly is correct. Your information and the way it was presented helped sway me.

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  16. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Keep dreaming Charlyee:D

17. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hmm interesting, this color combination is the one that I used to see the 6126 in the ads mostly. I think that the black is much more attractive and professional looking, the silver/red almost makes it look like a different phone. Same with my 6230, much as I like the red covers, the eurographite was the most attractive color for it.
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Actually that is one of the reasons I don't like the flip phones that it needs to have the play to protect the hinge. Sorry, but I don't think though that this much of play is necessary. I realize that this has a different hinge but none of my last flips, V66, PEBL, V557, VX6000, A670, VX7000 has/had anywhere near this amount of play. :)

Ok guys I need help from the two of you that already have the 6131 and the other 2 that are expecting one pretty soon - how about letting me (and bobolito) know where the microphone is on this phone.....:D

#198 charlyee, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  19. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    yeah i read your guys' posts on this earlier on...i doubt i will be able to help, but i will try my best to do some "investigating" on that. :D

20. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Couldn't tell ya, but I love the phone. Just got it tonight. Initial impresssions: lighter then I though; "auto-open" slower then I would have though (this is a good thing); awsome keypad!!!; great sound quality.

I have the same wiggle in my top-half when closed. Not sure where the mic is and I see why it is a challenge puzzling. It almost looks like it is tucked underneath the "#" key in the corner, but I really don't know.

I am on firmware v3.72. Charlyee, I believe that one difference is that v3.72 has an autolock on it when the phone is closed. The lock automatically turns off when opened. If the lock comes on while the phone is open, you then have to press the "Menu and *" key to unlock. Not sure about any other differences.

I'll try to post more later, I have some playing/configuring to do!

-Vapor03

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I downloaded the 6136 manual from both the UK and USA site. The microphone is listed in the index (page 16 or 22), which takes you to the phone layout page...but there is no reference to the microphone. Seems to be a misprint.

I'll look for it, when the phone comes.

vf

22. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    HELP!! For some reason I am having an issue downloading/installing the "blank operator logo" from jhonny.org. Any help would be appreciated. It's as if the links for it don't work. I can go to the page where the logo is, but that is it. I can't remember/figure out how to get it to the phone.

TIA
    Vapor03

23. Maxim72

Maxim72 New Member

I had the same problem with the operator logo from Jhonny.org as well...after searching some other forums...I found these steps to help out...

(I only tried this on my 6131..dunno about any other phone)

1. Menu>Web
    2. Go To Address: reallyboom.com/?12
    3. Phone should make a "Message recieved noise."
    4. Close the Browser and the menu.
    5. Should say "Operator Logo Recieved"
    6. Accept the message and save the logo...
    7. I don't recall if I had to set the operator logo "on" or if it did automatically.

Hope it helps...

24. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thanks for the quick reply Maxim72. I tried it again from even another site and I think that the issue that I was having was using Opera Mini to access and download it. The other site force the use of the phones default browser. Doing that and I also put in the URL for the jhonny.org/wap page that had the blank operator logo on it straight in my Nokia browser. One or the other worked and did just as you described. It was just driving me nuts not being able to download it.

25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    All of my existing Nokia phones used the same chargers with the 3.5 mm round plug. The 6131 uses the smaller 2 mm plug type.

I found on the Nokia web site, an 3.5 to 2mm adapter for use with the 6131. The Nokia CA-44. Only 3.5 British pounds, direct from Nokia.

http://shop.nokia.co.uk/invt/0278386

I can convert many of my chargers to this style. Just make sure the voltages are correct.

26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, I can't wait to find out where this elusive microphone is. :D
    Glad you are happy with the phone, I cannot find anything on the "#" key though. I think the one other difference is that only the 3.5 allows you to turn of the camera shutter sound, could you verify this? Thanks
    Thanks, as you can tell this is driving me nuts.
    Thanks for the link, I did think that the 6131 had a narrower plug than the 6230/6682, but I wasn't aware of the adapter.
    BTW: When do you expect to get the phone? Expansys seems to have gone from will ship in 3 days to 5 days to 7 days as of today.

27. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I'll have to flip a coin and see if I want to get the adapter for my old 6230 charger or buy an OEM charge for the 6131 off of ebay for about $14.

Yes, you can disable the shutter sound. If you are adventerous, I have already pulled instructions for flashing the firmware using Phoenix, and better yet, on the Nokia Europe site http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,92868,00.html you can download software to flash your phone.

I have flashed my old 6682 with this to version 4.65 w/o any issues.

-Vapor03

28. Vapor03

Vapor03 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
  29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I bought an OEM charger & car adapter combination for around $14 from E-Bay.

I have been looking at flashing, but the FOTA from Nokia does not work, I think I need to have the SIM allow that and the Cingular does not, so I need something PC based and I did find information on that. I am not quite convinced yet that I need to upgrade since other than the auto lock feature, I am not sure there are any benefits. So I will wait to hear from you and the others with newer softawre to see if it is worth it.

Thanks much...:)

30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nah, not me it is bobolito who first started this....:D . Now I can't believe I have a phone that I can't just find something as obvious as the microphone.

Thanks for the pictures, I have some guesses also but you go first...;)

PS: Hey wait a minute, I though the antenna was at the lower end of the bottom part of the phone, why does it say "upper Part-GSM antenna and D-cover" on page 4?

#210 charlyee, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006