Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now it must have some covering - a notebook computer or a PDA will have a plastic layer covering the LCD and some of them are quite tough - PDA's are designed to write on. It's difficult to believe that Nokia would make something this fundamental in a shoddy way.

Perhaps, but T9 let's me get away with not practicing.

Why didn't I think of that?

Why? Are you going to buy another one? Feel the need for a spare? :p

I'm over it, really I am. :D I was just using it as an example, a random example, that's all. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, my friend, we've discussed this before. Maybe it's better if you are already committed to paying for unlimited data and you like the radio/video channels they have. If all I want to do is occasionally listen to NPR, and not pay for the privilege, it's not better. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I agree, it must have some cover cannot just have a bare LCD. I think it maybe some thin transparent layer of material on the LCD screen itself. What I meant to say is it does not have a glass/plastic offset from the LCD like the Cu500 does and so did the 6230 & the 6682. My thinking is Nokia did this to keep the crispness of the actual screen unaffected by another layer of a lesser material. Actually it feels exactly like my PDA screen.
    Hey walkguru has 2 of each of his Nokias, why I can't I?:p
    Also if you are listening to NPR in you car and arrive at your destination, then you don't have to sit in your and finish listening or leave the car and miss the rest of it.....;) .

4. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I cannot see what the problem is with Cingular and Nokia phones?? I as well was looking forward to the 6126 but I guess Cingular is probably too busy deciding if they want to sell 20 more color selections on the over hyped RAZR.

5. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Right. So I'm not sure what Cingular's issue was. Surely Nokia built this in a quality way. With proper care it should be fine.

How did I guess? :lmao:

Exactly. Happens to me all the time. My neighbors must think I'm loony. I come home, park and just sit there half the time. :D With the Nokia 6200 I could at least get out of the car and go inside.

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    ah ha, i forgot, sorry:loony:

7. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    ive been trying to figure out how to get another lg cu500, but ever one i know thinks im crazy already,:loony:

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oops sorry, I forgot SunCom does support the 6126, but are they large enough to generate enough revenue for Nokia to continue with the 6126?

9. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So are we sure that the SunCom 6126 has the radio disabled? Just curious.

10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Hey Charlyee, my new 6131 arrives tomorrow. I couldn't resist..:O

I do have a couple of questions. What is the deal with the internal screen?? Does the Cingular 6126 have a different screen cover than the 6131? How is the internal screen cover on the 6131? Are there any extra care measures I should know about to keep my new baby safe??

BTW, I'm happy to be a new member of Club N6131...:browani: ;)

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks viewfly, I saved the link, black is the only way to go on this phone. You are remembering my 6230 days I see....:D
    Yes, it is too bad, and for someone coming from a 6230 this would have been the perfect successor to it. :)
    Hmm good question, if it is the true 6126 as opposed to a 6131 with SunCom splashed across it, then it would not have the radio since Nokia's website does not have the radio for the 6126. I guess only SunCom can verify it.
    Hey Mike, Welcome to Club N6131....:D . I am looking forward to your opinion on it. I have no information if the 6126 would have a different screen, I would say no it would be the same. I don't exactly know what the cover is on the internal LCD, it looks like it has no cover at all, but ofcourse that can not be. There are no special measures necessary, the only problem I have is getting to the corners to clean it since the screen is recessed. I can't wait for you to get it...finally someone on WA is getting it, that I can exchange ideas with.......:D. Please keep me posted.

12. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Today I don't see the 6126 listed as available on the SunCom site. Since SunCom provides service in the Carolinas, and they require a Zip code to look at their phones :rolleyes: , I entered my Dad's Zip code in SC. The only Nokias listed are: 3120, 6102 and 6102i.

LetsTalk claims to have the 6126 for SunCom in stock but they won't sell it without a service plan. LetsTalk claimed over the phone that SunCom will sell it without a plan if you go to a Suncom store. Impossible to verify this from the SunCom website.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hopefully, Rogers/Fido will pick it up in Canada and that will make it easier for Suncom.

14. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

According to some websites, SunCom supports the Nokia 6126, and at least one claims it is in stock today ($129 with a 2 year contract). I called the main SunCom sales # today (just in the spirit of research, mind you ;)) and they do not have the phone, they don't know about it, can't say when or if they are getting it, etc. Sound familiar? :D

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hmmm.... I read that Rogers/Fido started looking at this phone in May and they still don't offer it. Sounds like it didn't pass their test either. Now it sounds like Suncom is dumping it as well? I wonder if T-Mobile ever tested it.

16. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm really starting to lose interest in this phone. I certainly wouldn't buy one without holding in my hand first.

I'll be in europe next month, so it seems that I will have to pop into my favorite phone store and take a look at the 6131. The battery life is bothering me more and more too. Esp. since I'm using BT more regularly with the HS700 headset.

I'm thinking that Nokia has got to come out with something for Cingular to approve of and sell soon. There just isn't any Quad offering through cingular from Nokia. I'm so unhappy with Moto phone software. It does almost next to nothing.

venting....:mad:

17. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    yeah i just came back from EU and was hoping that this phone would be out by then. i got to play with one down there and the phone felt really nice, and the screen was just on a totally different level. all this is part of why i am so set on getting one.

18. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My sentiments exactly we need another Nokia to replace our beloved 6230.:(

19. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Amen to that :)

20. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Charlyee, I got my 6131!!

It is definitely different than the 6101/02/03 Series 40 phones.

I do agree that the screen resolution is phenominal. I'm still getting used to the phone, so I can't give a true evaluation yet. I like some of the new features it has, but there are others that seem to be missing. Little options like Auto-Volume Control, Date dislplay, for example.

One drawback to ordering from MyWorldPhone.com is that the plug adapter for the Euro-charger is some rusty, crappy old plug they just threw in the box, but considering they had the cheapest price for this phone, I can live with it. Besides, the 6131 uses the same charger as the 610x series, so I'll use that for a while.

I may have some questions for you, Charlyee, so be on the lookout for PM's from me soon.

21. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Why not post your questions here rather than PM? ;)

By the way, are you sure myworldphone.com has the best price? You should be able to find it cheaper on Ebay.

22. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Charlyee...and everyone else that has given me great input here.....i bit the bullet. there is a 6131 coming my way as well. should be here tomorrow. i am sure i will need your experienced advice when its time to set this thing up! and yes bobolito, i will post here so all of you can help me! heheh

finally! i cant wait.

23. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I am NOT a fan of e-Bay. I don't trust them, nor do I want to bid for things. They work for a lot of people, but not for me.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's ok. I didn't know you had bad luck with Ebay. Wireless-experts (an Ebay seller) had the phone for $226 + $25 shipping = $251. However, he raised his prices yesterday. Some people have bought from them and are very satisfied. In fact, they have 100% feedback on thousands of items sold. I will wait a little bit to buy the phone from them when the price comes back down a little. With all the bad news about the 6126 I am thinking demand will rise for the 6131 and prices will go up, but only temporarily.

25. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I actually paid about $13 more than the $251 you mentioned. I was amazed that MyWorldPhone.com had the phone for $229 (plus shipping) considering other places were charging up to $100 more. I could have maybe saved some more money by REALLY searching for the lowest price, but I was fine with the price I paid. I can definitely say this phone is worth it!!:D

26. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    well it is finally here. got the phone yesterday and have been playing with it ever since. it is as cool as i thought it would be. so far everything seems to work just fine, including the FM radio. i have not set up the browser yet, or the internet connection, partially because i am not sure how. i read something about using the settings for the 6102 (https://onlinecare.cingular.com/support/setDevice.do?universe=cingular&make=Nokia&model=6102&x=6&y=5) but i wasnt sure if that is correct...no biggie i will play with it later.

i do have one thing that sort of bugs me. i dont get a voicemail indicator when people leave voicemail. do you guys know if that is something that can be adjusted or set up?

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hey Mike, glad you like the phone and feel the same as I do about it....:D

Hi there, I am glad you like the phone. I don't have a problem with VM indicator but I have read a few posts were this problem exists, it seems to be market specific mostly in CA market and with a Blue SIM. I am not sure what your SIM is but other users have reported that a 64K, 3G SIM, Orange SIM takes care of the problem.

I got the settings from this Nokia site. The settings are text directly to your phone and you are ready to go. Let me know if it works for you.

PS: You may have already read this 150 page long 6131 thread but if you haven't, and have some time, it does contain lots of good information (after you separate out the junk from it :D), that might be helpful.

#177 charlyee, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  28. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thank you Charlyee! I tried running the settings, but their site wasnt responding, so i will try again later. :thumb: The SIM card i have is about a 2 year old at&t one from before the merger so that could be the problem. can i just go to cingular and ask them for a sim card? will they renew my contract or anything like that? reason why i ask, is i do not want to lose the plan i have right now, as cingular has nothing even close to what i have at this price.

WOW...150 pages! that is going to be some serious reading! :popcorn:
    thank you much for the help!

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Well, I have an advantage over you, I started reading that thread when it was only 10 pages long, and sort of kept up with it since then...:D .

The Nokia website is still down, I have another link, I will post it tomorrow, maybe this link will work by then also.

About the VM, it is the at&t SIM that seems to give the most problem in certain regions. As far as I know there is no way for you to stay on the old at&t plan and get an "orange" SIM, so you may be stuck with VM issue. Mike is also from CA so he maybe more familiar with this issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#179 charlyee, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  30. jikozi

jikozi New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6131
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    even if thats the case, it doesnt bother me that much. i like this phone and what it does way too much to care about a little VM icon. if you do have another link, i would greatly appreciate it as the nokia site just will not connect.

thank you again for all your help! i will probably keep the questions coming...:D although i hope not to have any other "problems" because everything in this phone seems to work just fine so far. :thumb: