Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, today, I was browsing around and came across a new Nokia phone that seems to be the update to the 6131/6133/6126 family. It's the 6267. By the looks, it seems like it addresses some of the major concerns with the 6131/6133/6126 such as poor battery life, microphone location, and the always annoying lack of internal memory, plus it has external music player keys, although this was not an inconvenience for me. It also increases the JAR and heap size which should fix the problem with many Java apps slowing down and crashing on the 6131. Check it out:

Device Details -- Nokia 6267

What's interesting is the WCDMA 850 band that it supports. I wonder if that will work on AT&T whenever they expand their 3G to 850Mhz. Seems like a nice upgrade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Very intersting, thanks for the link. :) It even looks like the 6131.

I wonder why it only has WCDMA 850/2100 and no 1900?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The WCDMA 850 I think that's for Australia. If you look at the distribution, there is no mention of North America.

I can see by the picture it is noticeably thicker than the 6131, but that's not really a problem. It needs room to hold that 1100mAh battery. However, what doesn't make sense to me is that the 6131 is rated at 3.95 oz, but this thicker phone is rated lighter at 3.70 oz.... huh?

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    You think that might be weight without the battery? If so it could be all-plastic body.

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't know, but I think if that published weight is without the battery, then it would be without the battery for both phones because that's the published weight of the phone.

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks bobolito. However we are talking about different problems, and perhaps, it is limited to my phone, situation or maybe my voice. I'm back in Cambridge,MA today. I like your idea of sending yourself a VM...that is much clearer audio than my home answering machine. Today the problem with the 6131 is less noticeable than last week, but the 6230 is much clearer in transmitted audio.

The problem is just enough that my 90+ mother has a problem with it. Last week it was so bad that even I had problems listening to myself! But in both circumstances, the 6230 was much better.

The audio really sounds like an improper VOX or VAD (voice activity detection) is in play. Plus the higher pitch of the 6131 is harder on 'older ears'. Lastly, there are pauses and dull pops or other noises that I may attribute the microphone issue and make listening annoying. But the other problems, I wouldn't. The 6230, V3 and Curve seem on par, but not the 6131.

What I experienced today makes the phone usable for most people, but how will I know when it gets so bad as last week? The received audio is just fine, if not superb.

Anyway, it's time to look for a new high end phone by the year's end. For now, i will continue with the 6131 as needed, but use the 6230 as the workhorse. The 6131 is coming up to one year, so I could have service give a look, but it may not be worth the hassle.

A new criteria to examine. I know that what your hear in your phone is not always what the other person hears from your phone, but I didn't expect the differences that found.

P.S.: using the bluetooth headset really didn't help the situation- so it's more than the 6131 microphone.

#996 viewfly, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Can you send yourself voicemails comparing the audio quality of both phones then record them to your computer using an audio cable from your phone and then post them here so we can hear it? I want to hear how bad it is and maybe we can discover something. I can make recordings of my own and compare my 6131 to yours under similar conditions.

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I could do that. I'm back in CT now and will be for awhile. The problem is not as evident in CT. It would be nice to record some independent audio clip, so the voice pattern is not a concern.

So I thought that i knew how to send myself an VM. I call my number, press 2, record my message, sent it to mailbox 1 and then listen to it. However, it doesn't have an option to send it nor does it save it for later. I was thinking I could use the internal recorder to make an mp3 file, but how do you hook up an audio cable? I only have the nokia plug for the usb or headphones.

#998 viewfly, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The internat recorder has poor audio quality. Worse than AMR-HR I think!

You would need the AD-46 adapter which converts the Nokia port to a 3.5mm stereo output. That can go to your computer.

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I have something like that for the 6230, but it does not fit the 6131.

The way by daughter describes the sound fits: I sound like a robot on the 6131.

vf

P.S. I miss the screen and camera quality on the 6131, but the audio quality is so much more consistent with the 6230.

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hi all:

I'm on vacation this week in the Cape Cod area. I'm happy to report that my 6131 transmitted audio is working very well, actually perfectly. It's good to have the phone back. The slightly higher pitch is still there, but that is a minor difference now.

What the exact problem is remains unclear. A half rate codec audio quality reduction (at least one way) would be the explanation, except the 6230 seems immune to this problem.

Where the problem is at it's worst, is in a high rise environment where, even though I have a line of sight with the Prudential towers through windows (and I assume the antenna seen are FM/TV and cell), I cannot get AM or TV signals, but the cell strength is normally good. I wonder if multiple reflections or absorption may be part of the problem on the transmitted side and it's effect on the EFR codec. Otherwise, perhaps my signal is so strong, I get forced into a low rate AMR codec.

I will have to look into that sometime later. I'll keep you posted.

Whatever it is, it seems to be controlled by the Boston network, and how this phone responds to that network, compared to the 6230.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, I found a repeatable correlation with the transmitted audio problem with the 6131 and being inside this modern high rise building I temporarily live it. Inside, the audio is garbled, outside it is fine. It seems to be related to the rf shielding from the building, the window glass, etc. I found the same thing with the BB curve. Even thought the rf from the tower sight is strong, I think the rf from the handheld phone is barely getting through sometimes. Inside the building, through the glass, the rf signal fluctuates quite a bit, but outside it is rock steady, full bars.

I don't understand how the algorithms work in regard to tower control of the rf output from my phone or when, exactly it causes half rate codecs to take effect. Or which one is dominant. Some days, even at rush hour the phone is fine in the building, most times not, but always, outside it is fine. However, the 6230 either has stronger rf output or is immune to being placed into half rate, and it's audio is always fine.

So I going back to the 6131 for now...since i miss the other features, but I will keep the 6230 handy as needed. Come December, I will be looking at new p hones again, but now I think that I have a better handle on the situation. As I said, I can't even get free TV in this building, even though I can shoot an arrow to the TV antennas. Good grief!!!

Best to all those that are interested,

vf.

13. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I just picked up a 6126 for $125 (including sales tax) last night with my employer discount. So far I love it but I have a question about the battery part number. The sales associate brought out the first box and attempted to install the battery but it was too "thick" (the back plate wouldn't fit over it). He then got a new 6126 box and the battery from it fit perfectly into the phone (the phone from the 2nd box). I looked at the part number of the battery and it is BL-4C. Do I have the correct battery?

Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't had the time yet to read every page of this thread. Thank you for any info!:)

14. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Yes - the BL-4C is what should have come with the 6126.

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad you are happy with the 6126. The
    BL-4C is the right battery for my 6131. I am pretty sure the 6126 has the same battery.

16. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi Charlyee,

After about 4 hours of use I am very pleased with the 6126. It's a big step up from my previous Sony Ericsson T637. I can see how battery longevity could become an issue so I wonder if you had any thoughts on OEM (or generic) car chargers vs. the genuine Nokia DC-4 (thread?

Thanks also, hme83:thumb:

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    OEM really stands for Original Equipment Manufactuer, meaning a genuine Nokia charger. Always go with the OEM Nokia part. OEM does not mean generic.

Glad that you are happy with the 6226

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Palm750/v0000 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Hi R32VW, you are asking a completely biased person. I am a stickler for using only OEM chargers & battery. I believe there is too much risk involved in buying non-OEM charger or battery. I have the OEM car charger for my 6131. We had a thread going here saying OEM chargers were bad? Do you remember the reasons given?

Well, you wanted my opinion & you got it - not sure it helped any though :D

PS: As viewfly mentioned, the OEM is the genuine Nokia accessory , it is not a generic equal.:)

#1008 charlyee, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  19. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Viewfly & Charlyee,

I got my terms confused. I was thinking that "OEM" equated to generic or third party. I do know what the initials O-E-M stand for but in a nether-region of my mind I was thinking of bad software suppliers who misrepresent OEM for full-content retail products. My bad. Thanks again to you both for setting me straight and also for sharing your experiences!

BTW, the thread that I was thinking of must have referred to third-party/generic chargers.

#1009 R32VW, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  20. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Re: Q about Groups in Address Book

In my 6126's Address Book I have created a Group for family members called "Jones". I have added 4 Jones family members to this Group. Everything's fine, to a point: when I scroll thru the Names list, without navigating to the Address Book via Menu, using the Down scroll key I see the Jones Group along with Bob, Tim, Ken & Rob Jones. Can I delete or copy or move Bob et al from the Names list without deleting them as individual contacts? I just want to flip the phone open and scroll to "Jones" and then select Bob or Ken etc. The owner's manual doesn't really even mention Groups, as far as I can see.

21. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sorry, but is this question just too dumb or newbie to even address? What I am trying to say, in a nutshell, is that when I open the phone & scroll thru the names (NOT navigating to the Address Book) I want to see only the Jones Group listed, not the Jones Group PLUS the 4 Jones family members below the Group (this is how it currently is).

I have asked essentially the same question at the AWS forum and there is no response to-date. Is it just me? Do I / we simply have to learn to live with this and adjust to it? I apologise if this post sound like I'm being impatient and I DO appreciate that this was a holiday weekend but I thought that someone would have offered a tip by now......... :confused:

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    R32VW, Speaking for myself, since I have never tried to do what you are asking I simply decided to not reply as opposed to saying "Duh!" :D.

If I understand you right you only want to see the group name and not the contacts withing the group when you scroll through the names. I don't think there is a way to do this and you may just have to live with it.

If someone else has found a way to go around this I hope they will post. :)

23. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Charlyee,

The highlighted portion of your quote is exactly what I want to do. It seems ridiculous to see a "Jones" Group folder immediately followed with each individual Jones contact in the Names list. I'll just have to choose which option annoys me the least: double (or triple) clicking on the Jones Group, then selecting Bob, and then selecting Bob's number OR having all of the Jones contacts listed separately and clicking once to call whoever I need to contact. I probably need to play around some more with Shortcuts but I haven't had time yet.

Thanks for your time.:)

24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Just so you don't think I was ignoring you, I'll also confess to not having any idea whether it's possible or not. :)

25. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
  26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I had no clue about this since I don't use groups. But I tried and my answer is no, I didn't see a way to do this: if I add a person to the group, and then delete that person's separate entry, they also then disappear from the group.

But there is a feature here. Since all your group members have Jones for the last name, they appear all next to each other, below the group name.

But if you had a group called, 'bowling team' and in that group were 5 persons with different last names, this is a great feature. Those 5 guys would be spread all over your scroll name list, but now they are also in a group name. You scroll to 'bowling team' and pick the person to call, or, perhaps SMS or Text the entire group at once.

So the feature here is quite useful. But not what you wanted. The other option would be to sort by first name instead. That is done under Names -> Settings.

Good luck.

#1016 viewfly, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Nokia sent me an email newsletter that included tips for extending battery life.

Most seemed obvious, except for one: leaving GPRS to connect only when needed. I usually leave it always on. Don't know if it does much but I'm giving it a try.

Want to extend your battery life?

Here's how:
    • Reduce the brightness and increase the contrast on your screen
    • Make calls only when your signal is strong
    • Set up your phone to make general packet radio service (GPRS) connects only when needed
    • Don't run multiple background applications, and use Bluetooth connectivity sparingly

28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Mine's set to when needed — always has been. If that's supposed to increase the battery life, I shudder at the thought of what it would be had I left it on all the time.

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hi dmapr!

I've always kept it 'on' beleiving that connections would be faster. I get 2.5 days of battery easily. But with it 'off', I don't notice much difference in connection speeds. Will see about the battery life, although it has not been a problem since I charge every morning anyhow.

So what is the latest with 6131 software upgrades? I'm still at 5.05.

30. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Hi viewfly!

I don't notice any difference in connection speed, it takes maybe half a second for the phone to figure out whether GPRS/EDGE is available. I charge every other day, so the battery life doesn't bother me too much either.

The latest is 6.10, but I keep mine at 5.50. I've experimented with 6.10, but saw nothing that would make it better for me than 5.50 and there was that annoying bug in 6.10 with the power key no longer lighting up the display when the phone is autolocked (still works if the phone was locked manually). So I ended up going back to 5.50, but it's only possible if you have the right tools, so unless you're prepared to be stuck with 6.10, don't feel too adventurous :)