Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

When you take a picture, do you have to hold the phone sideways in order to get it from the right angle or can you adjust the settings so that you don't have to turn the phone sideways? Thanks again!

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You don't have to hold the phone sideways to take a picture. If you hold it sidways you will get a wider area. It is pretty much the same as any camera that has unequal horizontal & vertical viewing.

Is that what you were asking?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

yeah thanks

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The only thing I'd like to know if there's a way to make different playlists for the 6131 music player. The music player just plays everything that's in the MicroSD card and it doesn't matter in which folder songs are located. It combines them all into one single playlist. Sometimes I'd like to play certain songs while leaving others out. Like sometimes I am listening to music and all the sudden an old podcast shows up when I want to continue listening to music.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

Yes there is a way to do it. I had the same problem. All you do is this. Make a folder named "a", then inside that folder make a folder named "b" then inside b make a folder named "c" and so on up to z. Then, just put the certain songs you want in the folder. But Make sure that the b folder is inside the a folder, the c folder inside the b folder ect.. Just drag the certain songs you want into thoses folders using the method I told you and it should sort them in the right playlist order :D

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I understand the part about creating the folders, but frankly I don't see the point in doing that since it doesn't accomplish anything. But Where should I place the songs? inside "a"? inside "b"?

And where should the "a" folder be created? Inside "Music Files"?

I experimented and created folders up to the letter "f". So I created the F folder inside E, then the E folder inside D, then the D folder inside C, which is inside B, and that's inside A. I then placed some songs inside the A folder, some others inside the B folder, and others inside the C folder, and so on. This makes absolutely no difference in how the songs are displayed in the Music Player list. All songs inside and out of the folders were still all mixed with the rest.

If I go to the Gallery, I can see the songs inside their respective folders, but that's not a playlist, that's just a bunch of files inside a folder, so the player won't play just those files, it will play everything in every folder. Launching any of those files opens the Media Player, not the Music Player. The Media Player has no provision to jump to the next/previous song, much less the ability to fast fwd/rewind.

I really don't see a way to restrict playback to just certain songs I pick, which is the purpose of a playlist. What am I missing?

#966 bobolito, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am somewhat guessing at this, but I had to do something similar for my 6230 (or was it my 6682 :confused:). Anyway, each folder will be a playlist, containing the songs you want. The only difference being the "c" inside the "b", the "b" inside the "a" part

Yes, I believe you are correct the "a" folder is inside the "Musc Files".

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    UPDATE: I found something else I could do.

I can create several independent folders and put different songs in them. For instance, I placed all Rock songs in the "Rock" folder, and I placed HipHop in the "HipHop" folder, and my podcasts in the "Podcast" folder. They are at the root level of the MicroSD card. So when I want to play certain genre, I just go to Music Player > Options > Play Options > Music Source > Select Folder and then navigate to the folder containing the songs I want to hear, and then start playing from there.

It's an awkward solution, but it seems to work.

I did find something that leads me to believe that this phone should be able to handle Playlists. If you go to Music Player > Options > Track List > Options, there is a command there called "Change Track list". Why else would that be there if not for the ability to select different playlists? The only option there is "All Tracks". I don't see any way to "add/edit" a "tracklist" so it seems to me like an incomplete function or command that Nokia didn't build, or maybe I just don't know how to use it.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Right, but my problem is, regardless of the location of the files (they could be in different folders), they all still show up in a single list in the Music Player. For instance, if I make a "Beyonce" folder and put all her songs there, and then make another folder for "Justin Timberlake" and put all his songs there, the expectation would be the you would be that you see the songs from either artist. However, all songs for all artists are shown in the Music Player "Track List" with no distinction about which folder they are located.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Even if you put the "Justin Timberlake" folder inside the "Beyonce" folder, so the "Beyonce" folder would have all her songs and the "Justin Timberlake folder"?

We shouldn't have to work this hard at something like this, but I always seem to run into the Playlist problem also. When I was using the 6131 for music, it sure got confusing when my Indian Classical Music started playing with my Irish Drinking songs...:D

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Let say for instance I have:

\\MicroSD\Music Files\Justin Timerlake

and then also:

\\MicroSD\Music Files\Beyonce

When I go to my Music Player, in the Track List I will see all songs by Justin Timberlake and Beyonce all mixed in the same track list. If I were to put the Beyonce folder inside Justin Timberlate, it would not make any difference and the Track List would display the same, all songs from Justin Timberlake and Beyonce all mixed in the same track list.

Now, this is because my music source is set to the root level of the MicroSD card. If I were to change that to \\MicroSD\Music Files\Beyonce, then I would only be able to see Beyonce's songs in the Music Player track list, and if I had subfolders inside of that, it will also display the songs within those subfolders as well, and they all appear in a single list all bundled in with no distinction of what belongs to which folder.

But like I said before, changing the music source every time you want to change playlists is an awkward method of changing song lists because it involves too many steps. I am still intrigued about the Track List selection menu that apparently doesn't do anything.

12. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

yeah, you can do that too. But if you want your songs in a certain order, you can do the thing I told you. And you can put it in any folder you want (mainly in the micro-sd folder). But just make sure that the rock folder is inside the hip hop folder, the jazz folder is inside the rock folder, the punk folder is insude the jazz folder, ect.....

13. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, I am very disappointed recently with the quality of the transmitted audio on 6131. The audio reception is just fine. The 6230 is much better. The internal location of the microphone seems to be half of the problem. The phone and/or network the other half. I should point out that I in a location that has maximum signal strength.

No one ever complained to me before. But my wife recently got very frustrated during some long conversations, and my elderly parent clearly was having not understanding me well at all. But they both sounded like landlines to me. Apparently this was not a new problem. They were just being polite before.

So I did some more experiments comparing phones. The 'microphonics' ( the location of the microphone inside the phone that makes small movements amplified) are just unacceptable compared with the Nokia 6230 or Razr.

Also, my voice is just getting clipped most of the time, like a poor VOX (voice operated transmission) system. I did a comparison with someone who was on the landline. Their comment was that the 6131 was really bad, but the 6230 just fine. They had just assumed previously that I was in the car or using a headset. What a disappointment!

So I'm finding this very disappointing. I like the 6131, but I've gone back to the 6230.

Bobolito and others, could the clipping sound be the network? In Europe it sounds wonderful to others. In CT I think it was ok, and will check it again. But up here in Boston, it's awful.

So I will be looking for a new high end phone in the next few months. It may be a hard search. I will be staying away from any phone with a hidden microphone from Nokia. But I feel that is only part of my problem.

I certainly learned that hearing good audio from another on a cell phone, doesn't mean that your transmitted audio is good!

#973 viewfly, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  14. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's funny this thread hangs on....:D if I may add someone once told me if I loved my 6230 than the 6131/6126 is a flip version of the 6230 so I shouled be happy.Other than the magnificent screen I found the 6230 to be a far superior phone whereas the 6131/6126 was a bit of a dissappointment. I use my 6126 as a back up phone to my SE,just my:twocents::)

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I hope that wasn't me...could have been. I love the 6131 for lots of reasons: the screen being only one of them. It does lots of things better than the 6131. But not working like a good phone is a big problem for me.

I'm not certain what the problem is. Did you have the same?? I'l learn more when I test it back in CT

16. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No I don't remember who it's not important, my main issues was the RF it was not as good as the 6230 in fringe areas and the battery life is awful. Not to go off topic but my SE scares me,this phone has heavy use and the battery life and RF is great and has never given me any trouble.:)

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well I will take a look at some SonyE's. I don't see your model on the ATT web pages anymore though

#977 viewfly, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  18. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I did not add the 6126.

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I not sure what you mean?

Anyhow, I did another test mark with my answering machine. The 6131's transmitted audio is higher in pitch and varying in pitch, words cut off, and just plain awful. :mad:

The 6230 transmitted audio is much better and useable. The received audio is fine for both.

20. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    viewfly, I'm really speculating here, but I want to blame it on half-rate codec. Maybe your 6131 is using a lower bit-rate (to the best of my knowledge half-rate is not a fixed bitrate, it's a range) for half-rate than 6230 does or just doesn't handle half-rate as well. It would explain why it sounds so much better when you're in Europe.

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I haven't researched this much, but I also gave this some thought. But I can't explain why half-rate codec would not be a 2-way problem. The received audio is just like landline, only the transmitted audio is poor.

I will see what it is like when I'm in another state/region.

22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Grasping for straws, but it could be if the encoder is better on the other end...

23. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

After tonight the 6126 became my primary phone.

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I came across some codes for S40 phones that turns on/off the half rate and Enchanced Full Rate options, but they do not get registered by the 6131. So it appears that I have no control at this end.

I remember that this phone's audio was good in the beginning...so something has changed - either my phone or the way it interacts with the network.

I will know more by the end of the weekend. Thanks for your thoughts.

josephd, I still don't understand what your saying...did your SE die on you then?

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, it's a pity they stopped supporting rate control via codes a while ago :( Will be waiting for your update, it's interesting to see.

26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Palm750/v0000 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

viewfly,Yes Joe's SE died. it had major help from it's owner :D.

Looking forward to what you find out on the 6131.:)

#986 charlyee, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  27. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

28. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Now this may be the wrong place for this post but I need to vent about my experience with customer care with "The New AT&T". I call care after my phone breaks which was my completely my fault. I was willing to pay for another SE since I am eligible for an upgrade and it was obvious the phone suffered a hard fall,the SE W810i is no longer available through care by phone or online. So what do I do, I had a lengthy discussion (50 minutes)with the Rep about the different phones and also reviewed them on phone scoop and ended up deciding to go with the Pearl it was perfect for my needs since it does lean somewhat towards non-business individuals.After I give the Rep the green light to move forward with the sale she decides to say "oh by the way you need to sign up for a Blackberry connect plan to access Media Net and to text message"
    I ask why that did not come up in the beginning of the converation when I explained to you what I use my phone for?? Why do I want to add another 30 dollars a month to my plan?? So I decide to cancel the sale which now she says I cannot, once we hit submit it is done.
    I did not even have a confirmation number and how can they not cancel a sale that early into the transaction?? Something did not seem right about that statement, I would have gone to a corporate store (which I did and got the same results) to see if I could get another SE once my upgrade eligibility took hold next week.I know this is long so I apologize but I am a bit steamed because now I am stuck, I will not be able to get another phone until the Pearl comes and I return it to them. Which means it will take 2 months to credit my account and I know I will have to call again to have them adjust my eligibility status, and so far after 2 days with the 6126 I have had enough of it.
    The phone never makes it though the day on a full charge with heavy use,not to mention the Media Net problems I have with it and I also find texting cumbersome as opposed to my SE,but this is small potatoes compared to what I see at the Nursing home everyday so I am trying not to complain and just make the best of it.Things could be a lot worse,but had the Rep been paying attention and listening the situation with my phone would have went a lot smoother and been less time consuming since I was taking full responsibilty for my mishap and trying to do the right thing. Have a good weekend everyone:)

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Okay, here are some data points between my 6131,6230b, and a V3 in CT regarding the quality of transmitted audio.

Not having any volunteers, I first used my home answering machine. The 6230 was good, and so was the 6131, but the 6131 was higher in pitch, with the 6230 being lower in pitch, and generally a better sound. The 6131 has a little bit of the same problem as in MA, but comparing the 6131 in CT and in Boston is night and day. It's usable. Once again, I comparing transmitted vs. received audio: the received is just fine.

Then I found a volunteer equipment with a landline, and added the V3 to the test. Again the result was about the same between them. However, the 6131 did give some audio noise problems when I walked around with it. I think what Bobolito said about the microphone sensitivity is right here: the noise was mainly due to that. I will try the BT headset and see if that helps. So once again, although it was not terrible like in Boston, the 6131 was usable, but the 6230 better overall for transmitted audio.

I did that little test with the phone next to my speakers (re: bobolito): it did sound like half rate! I thought it would be EFR or AMR full.

But why in Boston was it not a 2 way problem? I did find a web page for base station AMR equipment stating that the unit had the ability to trans AMR HR and receive AMR FR, or vise versa. Of course AMR has many rates to it also.

So I'm guessing its a city vs country thing. I can't imagine that it's a euro vs us phone version thing. Right? To add to confusion, my daughters BB Curve sounds perfect, but when she was in MD, a friend said it was awful to them (locally) but her calling back to me sounded just fine!!

A little hard to perform a phone test when this is the case. But I still not happy, and not sure what to do. I miss the 6131, but for now I'm back to the 6230 until I can figure this out more. It is meant to be a phone first, and the other stuff second.

Any more suggestions?

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry to hear your disappointment with the 6131. As we've discussed earlier about the mic on the 6131 and the quality of the transmitted audio, I have not found it to be poor. In my case, it seems to be on par with most other high end phones. The only difference is that the 6131 is very poor handling background noise. Because these are mobile phones, we can often use them in places with a fair/comfortable amount of noise. Well, it seems that Nokia didn't take that into account when designing these phones. Just today I was listening to music from my computer speakers and I received a call so I lowered the music volume to a point where it was comfortable for me to talk and not bother the caller (at least I thought it was). Well, I was surprised when the caller told me that the music was loud, but I personally had trouble hearing it! LOL! So while I have near perfect hearing, this phone is actually more sensitive than my ears when it comes to surrounding noise! Amazing!

I just ensure to go to as quiet place as I can find before using the 6131. I have come to get used to that and it's not really a big problem for me. However, for people who work on the street and in big noisy cities like NYC, the 6131 can be a major pain for callers. I know two people who own T-Mobile's version (6133) and one works driving a bus and the other is often outdoors and it is a major problem trying to understand them when they are in those circumstances because of all the noise. When they are home or in some place quiet, I can understand them just fine. And you're right, the earpiece sound quality on the 6131 is excellent, just as long as the caller has a good source of audio, such as a landline. I enjoy talking to landline callers the most because even though I am using AMR-HR all the time, their voice is so pure and clean.

So in conclusion, the audio quality transmitted is fine just as long as you are in a very quiet place. If you are in noisy places often, then you have to get a properly designed flip phone. In other words, the 6131/6126/6133 does not fare well in the microphone design and placement. Something so basic and Nokia had to screw it up!

So I did myself a little test today to refresh my memory and see just how much noise the 6131 picks up, and I was in my car with all windows closed to isolate outoor noises, and they fired up my radio and left myself a voicemail. I had the phone in my ear when I recorded the message. When I heard the recording I could not believe how clear the music came over my voice, even though the speakers were a few feet from the phone's microphone, yet my mouth was just a couple of inches. I was talking as loud as necessary so that anyone in my car would hear me comfortably over the music. However, in the voicemail recording, the music was clearly an annoyance and you had to make some effort to understand what I said. I do not consider I had the music loud, just at normal ambient listening volume.

Another experiment you can do to compare the V3 with the 6131 is make a recording to your voicemail using the handset first and then switch to speakerphone mode and put the phone about two feet away from your mouth. You'll notice how much more sensitive the V3 becomes when you switch to speakerphone mode, whereas the 6131 remains the same. It seems as though the 6131's microphone is all the time in speakerphone mode. Most flip phones behave just like the V3 when you switch to speakerphone mode. The 6131 seems to be the exception.