Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hi Bobolito,

I don't entirely agree with what you've said. I do agree that it would be better to have the microphone closer to one's mouth than midway between the ear and mouth...but I did some experiments that imply that the problem is not as bad as you describe.

All microphone circuits have some kind of automatic gain control (agc), as you already know, to maximize the gain without over driving the system to distortion. So the gain settings change accordingly as you say, but the real question is whether your voice, either do to location (6131 vs say a V3) is closer to the mic. or your voice volume is loud enough above the background noise.

Of course, my parents always told me to turn the TV or Radio off when I answered the phone, because even landlines are subject to background noise...not only is it impolite, but it helps you hear the other person too. That is the real solution, and why telephone booths were invented...not just to keep you dry!

But I compared my 6131 to my Razr V3. I placed them on a chair about 2 feet in front of my TV, at a volume level that was fine for a normal room size. I did find, as you said, that the Nokia has higher sensitivity than than Moto, that is the volume of the TV audio with my listening phone was higher with the Nokia.

However, when I asked my wife to start talking to me, I could hear her clearly above the background TV. In fact, the Moto was lower overall...both her voice and the TV was lower in volume to me. Is that better?

Secondly, I placed both phones about 10 feet away from the same TV. The TV audio was barely heard, and my wife's voice was way above the TV.

But one bad thing I did notice, that I was not aware of before, and it was worse for the Nokia, was noise from moving my hand around the phone. That is, in normal talking, if I 'played' with the phone while talking, that Nokia was like a resonant box that picked up a lot of those sounds. So if your the kind of person that 'fondles' your phone alot...don't do it! The Moto had the same problem, but it was less noticable.

One thing that we all should consider is the 'low talker' syndrone. If your voice is low, it will be hard to compete with external noises...just talk the way one normally does to a person next to you, esp in a noisy envirnoment. Some people talk more quietly into a phone than to a person in front of them.

I would prefer to have the mic near the mouth, but I suppose one issue there is the phone swing. My wife complains that I swing my landline phone under my chin, which reduces the volume a lot...if you consider the same angle swing with a flip phone, the distances changed will be less for a MOto than for the 6131, since the pivot point is at the ear, and the amount of swing at the cheekbone is less.

I don't find my Moto H700 BT set to work better at all compared to the bare phone. Has anyone tried the BT JawBone set? Is it really than much better?

Anyhow, this is all much about nothing really. Just my thoughts and home comparisons with the Razr. My wife thinks I'm a nut to worry about these things :wink:

P.S. I note that the Cingular Web page now has the 6126 for Free!

2. tlink

tlink New Member

I have Cingular as a carrier. I really like the 6126, but would love to get the FM radio feature that 6131 has.

Are there significant risks with acquiring a 6131 rather than the Cingular-supported 6126? Can anyone help with a comparison of the disadvantages vs advantages?

P.S. If this has been previously discussed, a pointer to the right link would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The main risk is that if your phone experiences a hardware failure Nokia won't do anything about it and neither will Cingular — you're on your own getting it fixed. Also there's a minor inconvenience of having to setup the data access yourself. The major plus of course is no Cingular crippling of the functionality :)

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Of course I meant the other way around: the distance moved will be less for the Nokia.

5. tlink

tlink New Member

I currently have a Nokia TDMA phone, but have to upgrade to GSM because Cingular is going to turn off the analog network. I would prefer the 6131 to the 6126 because of the radio, which would allow me to listen to NPR while I walk to work.

Can you recommend a vendor for the 6131? There are a dozen sellers on eBay who curently offer the 6131 for prices ranging from $150 to $200, but if you're on your own for repairs, it would be nice to purchase from a vendor that will stand behind the sale.

Alternatively, is there a U.S. repair / support site that you could recommend if there's a problem?

6. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any vendor that will offer such support. ImportGSM sells warranty with their phones, but they no longer carry 6131. Also try contacting iunlock.com to see what kind of warranty and support they offer.

7. tlink

tlink New Member

I checked iunlock.com and they still have the 6131, so I'll call them on Monday to ask about after-sale support options.

This afternoon a friend passed along a Nokia 3595 GSM phone that he is no longer using. I'm inclined to switch from TDMA to GSM with the 3595. That will give me a back-up in case I do run into problems with the 6131.

I'm new to the world of SIM cards. If I follow this approach, will I be able to transfer the SIM card from the 3595 to the 6131 when it arrives?

8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, and any time you feel like moving it back and forth as well :) And if you choose to keep the contacts on the SIM, you won't have the advanced address book features, but the phone book will move between the phones as well.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I guess your 6131 and mine are different in that aspect. Or maybe my habit of emphasizing the points resulted in my exaggeration of what I've found. But some things cannot be exaggerated. For instance, everyone that calls me has trouble hearing me when there's noise around me. They always find the TV or Radio annoying and ask me to turn it down even if the TV/Radio is not even loud at all. My voice is louder than the TV and they can understand what I am saying, but they also hear the TV in the background and gets annoying for them. I have switched sides with them and I can see what they are talking about. It is quite annoying. Sometimes I am in the living room with someone else and they are watching TV so in order to talk I have to leave the room so they don't hear the TV. I've done tests with someone else using a RAZR and they can have a TV or radio going on in the background and while I can still hear the TV/radio but it is too minimal to be annnoying and does not interfere with the person's voice like it does if they were using my 6131. I've also found their voice to be slightly quieter than if they were using a 6131, but the voice to noise ratio is noticeably greater on the RAZR, and even with other Motorolas such as the V551 or V635. When I had my V635 I never had to leave the room to talk on the phone when there was TV or radio noise in the background. They could still hear the TV going in the background but it didn't bother them because it was minor and they could barely hear it. When I am using the 6131 under the same conditions, they can actually understand what they are saying on the TV.

It would be hard to do a test demonstration here to show you but I can make some recordings of what my 6131 picks up.

The best test is in a loud restaurant or in a night club. I know I was able to talk and be heard over the loud music at a night club when I was using my old V635. I haven't been interested in trying that with my 6131 because I think it would be futile, but next time I get a chance I will try it.

About the noise when playing with the phone, I tested rubbing the 6131 all around with my hands while listening through a landline and I have found it to be very minor, to the point where I could barely hear anything. It was just as minor as any of my older phones. So this hasn't been an issue for me. This can be easily recorded to show you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #939 bobolito, May 7, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  10. tlink

tlink New Member

I spoke with Evan at iUnlock.com this morning. He was very helpful. Evan said that they have experienced very few problems with the 6131, and said that it has generally proven to be a reliable phone. He also said that iUnlock can provide service and support for out-of-warranty phones such as the 6131.

While it is under warranty, he said that the overseas offices of Nokia have been good about providing warranty support. (I'm assuming that the main disadvantage in this case would be higher shipping costs, etc.)

Based on that, I'm inclined to acquire one (for use with Cingular). Any other advice about support, etc. for the 6131?

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When I bought my 6131 from Ebay I added a SquareTrade extended warranty. However, I haven't had any problems with the phone after 6 months of use. It's nice not having to deal with some of the crippling Cingular puts on the phones, such as manual network selection, or the ridiculous Java permissions described by Steve in an older post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, the main disadvantage is having to deal with an overseas repair facility and pay for the shipping, plus the length of time you stay without the phone. If Evan can also repair hardware problems (I know he can fix most software issues) I would probably choose that route over dealing with an overseas Nokia center.

I'll have to check the SquareTrade out, thanks for the tip. I also haven't had any serious issues with the phone since I acquired it late last summer (a rare occasional reboot nonwithstanding).

13. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

Hi, I am interested in this phone. I look online and it says that the nokia 6133 does not let you set mp3 music ringtones. Does the nokia 6131 let you set mp3 ringtones? Thanks

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, it does.

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know they aren't too much the same, but I am thinking about the 6126 after checking it out at the store & being I can get it for less the $50.00 on an upgrade.

Does anyone have an opinion of the 6126 that I may want to know about?

I am thinking about getting it as a backup for my V635, but if it's a decent phone, which if seems like I may make it a primary one.

16. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

The nokia 6126 is almost the exact same as the nokia 6131. The only difference is the nokia 6126 does not have an fm radio on it........... that's about the only difference. I really want to get the nokia 6126, as it is made for cingular and i love cingular. But since it does not have the fm radio, i don't like it as much as the nokia 6131.

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    6126 is very similar to 6131, it lacks a few features (PTT, FM Radio & IR port) that probably won't make a difference to most people. From my point of view the restrictive Cingular branding would probably be the most annoying thing if you're into third-party Java apps like GMail etc. and the short battery life is close second.

18. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You should be happy Tom, I have mine as back up my SE to me is a better phone all around. The only real complaint and I have to agree with is the battery life, good luck in your decision Tom.:)

19. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow a Nokia with poor battery life, that is hard to believe.

I was concerned about the restrictiveness of the Cingular branding on it, the FM radio, PTT & IR are not an important item to me as you said dmapr, for free or less then $50.00 I guess for a back-up it wouldn't be a bad phone to have.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, if I was going to use it as a primary phone, then I would go with the 6131 and have all the features available.

20. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    If you will only be using it as a "backup" you may not be all that concerned over this either - one other thing I've noticed is that recently several users have reported problems with using MMS to send photos. I believe the problem is being resolved via a warranty exchange - not tons of people, but I've noticed 3 or 4 fairly recent complaints about the issue.

21. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was lucky, I bought mine off of e-bay end SMS and MMS work fine and the bluetooth pairs with my laptop without a hitch. My only other small complaint is SMS is not as easy as my SE,it has T9 but it does not give you an option of words like my SE. I also realized we were talking about the 6131 with the MMS issues sorry.;)

22. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Fire, the only person that I know that owns one, has problems with Opera Mini & possibly Google Maps. Both work very well for me on my 6131, but I don't know if it is his phone or the Cingular branding. Maybe another 6126 owner can clarify this.

The battery on the phone is not all bad if you don't text message a lot. Mine usually lasted 2-2.5 days.

Good Luck.

PS: Yes, I know I am repeating myself :D

23. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Thanks Charlyee, It's ok to repeat yourself, sometimes I need the extra help & today may be one of them. :p

24. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Then again I refuse to use abbreviations like some people do, so the battery on yours could last way longer :p

25. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I was actually talking about the 6126 - sorry I didn't make my post more clear. :)

Lately, there have been a few posts re: users who seem to be having problems with attaching photos to MMS on the 6126. They can do video or music files, but it sounds like the screen goes black or blank when they try to attach a photo. IIRC, there have not been solutions other than a warranty exchange.

26. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Opera Mini was a problem on my 6126 I don't know about Google maps and battery life is dismal sorry to sound negative but I don't want a high end phone to be limited as to what I can do.
    The 6126 is a nice phone but my SE in my opinion is a far better phone all around.:)

27. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

I always have this certain problem with unlocked nokia phones. When I activate it with cingular (or AT&T), it works fine, but it won't let me either send multimedia messages or go onto MediaNET. If i try to go onto MediaNET or the web browser, it just says "subscribe to packet data first", I have no idea what it means or what to do. Does anyone know how to fix this problem btw i have at&t/cingular

28. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

Also, do you have to hold the cell phone side ways in order to take a picture with the camera or can you just hold it right side up (i want the picture to be the right side up)

29. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    This might be a good start to get the settings right.

30. idkx07

idkx07 New Member

THANK YOU THIS WORKS!