Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. krypton

krypton New Member

well because of the sound i can hear for sure that the other person is still there

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I experience this a lot and I find myself asking the person on the other side if he/she is still there. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    What helps me quite a bit is that my Nokia BH-600 headset will beep quite audibly when call disconnects, so I'm never in the dark for more than a few seconds :)

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I think that the dead silence on a call shows how much improved call quality has come since the olden days. I remember good ol' analog...:eek:, it wasn't pretty.

I've read on other threads about the GSM buzz. I got to say I never notice a discernable difference between calls on Verizon, T-Mobile, and Cingular. I guess as long as I have service to make the call, I'm happy. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think the GSM buzz only happens when you have an unshielded speaker nearby and not on the phone itself. So if you don't have them in the vicinity, you won't hear the buzz ;)

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The GSM buzz can happen on the phone itself and it can spread to wired headsets too. I remember the older Nokias used to suffer from that problem such as the 6590i and 6340i. Users in the other end would hear the buzz caused by my phone and I could hear it too some times in the earpiece. No radios, TVs, etc. were around me.

I also bought a Shure headset for my old Motorola V400 so it had the 2.5mm connector. I paid $50 for it thinking it was the best thing in the world because of the brand name. It turns out it was extremely sensitive to the GSM buzz. I would have to carefully arrange the wire to avoid the buzz and callers in the other end would complain that they would hear it, so I ended up disconnecting the headset to avoid the buzz. Later I got a Jabra headset and even thought the audio quality wasn't as great as the Shure, at least it isolated the buzz much better than the Shure and I could use it without having to worry about carefully positioning the wire. Ever since I got the V635 and now with the 6131 I use Bluetooth and haven't had a problem since. It is obvious because Bluetooth headsets are wireless and the buzz interference has no way to disrupt the call.

#906 bobolito, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now, going back to the 6131, I've been having the weirdest problem with the SIM address book. I have several entries where I dial an access number 18669342538 and then a 'pause' and then the destination number which is an 11 digit international number. The total number of digits is 23 if you include the 'p' for the pause. This had always worked perfectly and I have 9 entries in my phone book with different destination numbers all in the same format and I never had a problem with them. They all look like this:

Name LastName
    18669342538p1809XXXXXXX

Now, the problem started a couple of days ago when I wanted to save an additional entry in the same exact format. The only difference is that the name was different and the last 7 digits of the destination number was different. Nevertheless, the total number of digits number was the same in the whole string. When I wanted to save this new entry (this being the 10th entry in my phonebook in this format), the phone refused saying that the number was too long and it told me that the maximum I could enter was 20 digits! I thought that's not true because I have other entries already that have been saved with no problem and they are 23 digits long.

I have 190 used entries in my SIM phonebook and 60 free entries, so it is not a problem with capacity, but just for the hell of it I deleted another entry that was in the same 23-digit long format to save this new one, but that didn't work. I even changed the access number and the destination number to different random numbers but still the phone refused to save the entry. I could only save it if I made it 20 digits long or less which meant that either the access number or the destination number had to be incomplete which really defeats the purpose of having the number saved in the first place.

Thinking that this had to be definitely a bug in the phone, I rebooted the phone, and tried to trick it into any imaginable possible way that I could think of, but it was all useless. So I just pulled my old Nokia 6340i and put my SIM there and created the new entry and voila, the entry got saved with no complaints. I put the SIM back in the 6131 and verified the new entry was there complete with all 23 digits. So now I have 10 entries in this format in my SIM.

After that, using the 6131, I tried to create yet one more entry with all 23 digits in the same exact format, but the 6131 once again continued to refuse saying that the number was too long and the maximum was 20 digits. However, saving the same entry in the phone's memory was no problem. But still, even after saved to the phone's memory, the 6131 refused to copy or move the entry to the SIM giving me the same false excuse. However, at least now I know that from now on I need to put my SIM in another phone if I want to create one more entry like this.

I can't imagine why the 6131 would suddenly refuse to save this type of entries in the SIM for me with the false excuse that it can only be 20 digits long when I know that's just not true because I remember saving entries this long in the past in this phone. I just can't understand that. Does anyone have any explanation for this? or has anyone had a similar problem with the 6131?

The only thing I can think of is that I must have saved the older entries prior to my upgrade to the 5.5 firmware and now this could be a limitation of the 5.5 firmware. Still this doesn't explain why other phones can do this with no problem. It is obvious it is not a limitation of the SIM.

8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I just saved a 24-digit number in your example (I added + in front) without any problem. I could save it with a name of up to 16 characters long. Needless to say, I have a 5.50 firmware.

Have you tried a reset to factory default? Several times I got my phone into a strange state, such as vibrating alert not working, voice commands or dialing not working, as well as playing the commands/names back — all would magically fix itself with a factory reset. Since I've had my phone (August or September last year) I've had to reset it three or four times.

9. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Back from good only UK England (but back again in a week) my 6131 worked perfectly. I didn't notice any 6131s in the mobile phone shops, but mine drew some nice comments.

The $1.29 a minute Cingular call rate to the USA sure beats the hotel phone fees of nearly $6.00 a minute!

Bobo, one thing I find annoying on the 6131, is that it does not separate numbers into a US format, the way older Nokia's did. ie. 1 203 123 4567 becomes 1203123457; even euro numbers are all together. Just makes it hard to read.

Anyway, saw the crown jewels and the weather was in the 50F's...what a change!

Once again the GSM audio quality was perfect. Even back to the states, it was crystal clear. I easily roamed on all for mobile networks, which has some advantages.

However, there was no EDGE. My phone displayed only G, not the E it does in the US. Are we really ahead of these guys; I've heard this before...or maybe they are on straight 3G

10. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Welcome back at least temporarily. My 6131 displayed E for all the networks in Hong Kong & Singapore, on one of the 5 networks in Calcutta but only G in Beijing & no GPRS in Cambodia.

11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    viewfly, it's a setting that can be tweaked with the proper tools (I set mine to use US number grouping, as Nokia calls it). If you ever happen to visit Bay Area, I'll be happy to set yours :) Seriously, I suspect that there might be a product code that already has that setting and all you need to do is reflash yours to that product code.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's weird. The name field in my 6131 allows me to save names up to 18 characters long while yours is up to 16?

I really hate to do a Factory Reset. It means I have to go through each of the settings I have personalized all over again. But it's really not a big deal for me just putting the SIM in another phone if I need to save a new long number string. Last time I did that was months ago, probably prior to the 5.5 upgrade.

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The name thing is no more strange than the number thing... I wonder if it's maybe difference in variants? Yes, I guess if it isn't often, moving the SIM is no biggie... recovering from a factory reset is definitely annoying.

14. danielkarluk

danielkarluk Junior Member

how can your post say 1:53am when its only12:56am? does this site assume eastern standard time?

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    For what it's worth, your post says 10:56PM (and mine 10:53PM) when I view it. The post time is displayed in the time zone settings that you choose in your User CP (Edit Options).

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    dmapr, yes it certainly is a software setting; what surprises me is that my phone doesn't even use Euro or UK groupings, since it was purchased from the UK. Any number simply get displayed as 123456790123456789, etc., no spaces at all.

Thanks for the offer...I don't have the proper tools to do that myself.

vf

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    All right, I finally got the cable and upgraded my 6131 to 5.5. It was one of the easiest phone software upgrades I have ever done.

Thank you so very much dampr for posting the information...:)

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    viewfly,

it took a bit of digging, but I located the list of product codes that have US grouping by default:
    Code:
    0514803 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR MEXICO WT
    0514835 RM-115 6131 AMER-L ENTEL PCS CHILE WHITE
    0534190 RM-115 6131 AMER-L ENTEL PCS CHILE BLACK
    0534275 RM-115 6131 AMER-L Digitel Venezuela BK
    0538813 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR ECUADOR BK
    0538814 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR PERU BLACK
    0539328 RM-115 6131 AMER-L COMCEL COLOMBIA
    0539589 RM-115 6131 AMER-L CONECEL ECUADOR
    0540846 RM-115 6131 AMER-L COMCEL CO GOL2 BLACK
    0540849 RM-115 6131 AMER-L CONECEL EC GOL2 BLACK
    0542795 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR ECUADOR WT
    0543328 RM-115 6131 AMER-L TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO BK
    0543329 RM-115 6131 AMER-L CW ALL ISLANDS BK
    0543770 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR MEXICO BK
    0543879 RM-115 6131 AMER-L MOVISTAR CA BLACK

The bad news is all of those variants seem to be at 3.70, not 5.50 :(
    Yes, it seems it's either US grouping or no groping at all — very weird. Also, groping doesn't work if the number has a + in front of it.

Letter transposing has got to be more contagious than I thought :p

19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, yes very contagious & I have been reading his posts for just a few months only :)

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    welcome to 5.5 world Charlyee. It will get rid of the pops and clicks. I didn't notice them in CT, but in Boston they are quite obvious.

Glad your keeping the phone. Hope the hubby likes it. Sounds like you saved yourself $35. Nice that the nokia software is now available.

vf

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Are these groups part of the firmware update? I understand they don't exist in 5.5, but maybe a future flash.

BTW, yes, I seem to remember that previous US Nokia phones always lost groups when a + was used.

22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The 5.50 firmware package was what Nokia calls a "major data package", version 3.0. It contained 5.50 firmware for all product codes that were out at the time. These are part of a "minor data package", version 3.10 which installs on top of 3.0 and adds these new product codes, but only has version 3.70 for them.

Each product code contains several specific files, plus there are more generic files. The generic files are MCU (OS software), PPM (language package) and CNT (contents, such as galleries). The specific files are the RF tuning settings, product profiles, etc. and the "envelope" that tells the flashing program which combinations of generic and specific files to use for each particular product code.

Product profile is a very simple list of numbered settings and the values, some of which are actually a setting that can be modified in the phone UI (unless prohibited by SIM), such as confirming SIM card service actions, cell info display, MMS reception choices and a few others. One of the settings is the type of grouping to use.

The JAF flashing program allows one to read/write those product profiles separately from flashing — it's not much more involved than reading/writing a contact, but you need a magic smart card to use the program :(

So yes, if a future flash update is released that will provide 5.50 for those product codes, flashing to one of those codes will give you the default profile with the setting enabled.

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Glad you made the upgrade to 5.5, Charlyee. Although you did it the easy way. ;)

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks viewfly, the click & pops were so infrequent in our area that I have no good way test if it has been eliminated, but it is nice to have the latest software on it anyway.

Trechnically I didn't really save myself $35, the cable was $25.90 ;)
    Thanks bobolito, I am glad too and it certainly was the easy way.

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Just an update — the v6.10 of the firmware is now available (hopefully it'll make it's way on the Nokia Software Updater soon as well, it's currently still at 5.50). So far I wasn't able to notice any differences, but here's what readme states:

• CAP #53915 Radio, when use headset button, standby screen channel will not change (did not check)
    • CAP #53977 Dictionary application missing in phone (still missing)
    • CAP #55409 Radio functionality failure-> Channel name can't be changed properly (did not check)
    • CAP #55652 6131 doesn't change the radio channel name on outer display (did not check)
    • CAP #55666 MMS forward not possible (still not possible, at least with a sound clip
    • CAP #56382 N6131 IMEI rebuild can't be conducted in L3 (did not check, nor know how to)
    • CAP #56437 6131 image chrash (don't know what it is)
    • CAP #56878 6131 charging problem (don't know what it is)
    • CAP #56887 6131_RM-115 Internal Radio problem (don't know what it is)
    • CAP #56962 6131 Hungarian translation mistake (does not apply)

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Version 6.10 now includes the mentioned product codes with the US number grouping. The Nokia Software Updater does not yet reflect the update, but I'm hoping it will soon.

27. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I barely use the FM radio so I just noticed that problem with the outside display not changing the channel name. My preset #1 is "Hot 97 FM" and as I changed through the other presets, the radio tunes to the correct station and front display would show the correct preset number but all the preset names showed "Hot 97" instead of "Z-100" or the other stations.

1. Hot 97
    2. Hot 97
    3. Hot 97
    4. Hot 97

etc...

In the inside screen, however, the correct preset name is displayed as you cycle through the stations.

28. cb474

cb474 New Member

I'm wondering what experiences people are having with the quality of the microphone on this phone, in terms of overamplifying background noise. I read earlier in the thread the great mystery of where the microphone in this phone is and how it was finally discovered to be located in the hinge.

This disappointed me, because I'm concerned that the distance of the microphone from the mouth will degrade call quality. My previous phone was a Nokia 6230i. Everyone complained that it picked up background noise and amplified it as loud as my voice, making it annoying to talk to me. So it wasn't a good phone to use in the street, a car, or a cafe. It only worked well at home in the most quiet environments.

Since then I've found that my very old Ericsson T28z is much better in noisy environments; I think because the microphone is in flip and placed close to the mouth. I also briefly tried a new BenQ EF71 flip phone and it had a very good microphone for noisy environments (but really bad sound quality in the earpiece). And I tried an old Nokia 8890, with a sliding mechanism that moves the microphone closer to the mouth, which turned out not to be better than my 6230i.

So I've been thinking of getting a flip phone to resolve my microphone problem and really like the features on the 6131. But am disappointed to learn of its microphone position (which is functionally no different than a small candy bar phone).

What have people found with this phone in noisy environments? Can other people hear you okay? Is your voice louder than background noise or the same? Thanks for any observations.

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I hear what you are saying. I was a little disappointed that the mic was not at the end of the flip too. I consider that one small edge of flips over bar phones.

That being said, I've really have had no problems using the phone in shopping malls or walking along streets in Boston. When you think about it, that excess noise needs to be a volume equivalent of someone speaking a few inches from your cheekbone to compete with your own voice. But, true, a lot of loud garbled background noise can make it hard for someone to isolate your voice...I have a hard time talking to others in a nosiy bar, which is probably not a good place to expect a phone to work either!

I'm off to Germany next week and considering the popularity of bar phone phones in Europe (and drinking), I can compare with a friend who has a normal flip/microphone combination.

I suppose if you hold the phone near the hinge, your hand should act as a good sound barrier.

It's a great phone. Good luck.

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think it all depends on whether or not your callers will complain about the background noise. Just because they don't complain doesn't mean there isn't any noise. That being said, unfortunately, the 6131 is a dissapointment when it comes to isolating background noise. So cb474 is absolutely right about the placement of the microphone by the hinge is quite a problem when using this phone in noisy environments. If you are in a quiet place, it performs nicely and people in the other end can hear you very clearly, but on the most minor noise, they can hear it. Therefore, if you are in the same room with a TV set at a normal volume level, it is quite annoying for your callers to understand you because they hear your voice and the TV set at about the same level. Therefore, I avoid televisions, radios, etc. when using this phone. It is so sensitive, that even if my TV set is so low I can barely hear it and me being at about 10 feet from it, my callers still say they can hear the TV! This is just unavoidable for the reasons cb474 mentioned. The mic is far from the mouth and so Nokia has to make the microphone overly sensitive so that it picks up your voice clearly. The side effect is that it picks up everything around you.

However, there's a solution to that. I simply use my Bluetooth headset when I can't help being in a noisy place. My Bluetooth isolates the noise much better. Heck, even the AD-46 adapter (the one you can use to connect the 6131 to your car) has a less sensitive microphone.

I've done comparisons and found that the average flip phone makes the microphone a lot more sensitive when you put it on speakerphone mode. The 6131, on the other hand, has the microphone set at the same high sensitivity level whether you have it on speakerphone or not.

#930 bobolito, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007