Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I didn't notice any difference in mini-display in power save mode, however in normal mode it does indeed display date & time. With 3.70 it was one or the other, but not both -- and I don't remember which one was not being shown.

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ok, got it. Now, I see where the date menu is for the display.

I do really like this phone

3. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I like the phone too, although there are some things I'd like to see fixed, first of all the way voice dialing works. But I was mostly surprised that I liked it because I don't like flips at all :)

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hmm, shouldn't that be followed by "thank you charlyee, I am so glad you got the 6131 before anyone else and talked about it constantly"...:D . I am just teasing you, I am really glad you like the phone. I am going to get mine upgraded but I haven't decided if I want to do it myself or send it in.
    Interesting you said that, I feel the same way. Ofcourse I did consistently complain about the play in the hinge every opportunity I got...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I can certainly relate to that :) Fortunately with a BT headset I don't suffer much from it and once it's open all the way it's barely noticeable ;)

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The setting for the date in the mini display only works when the display is in color mode. Once it switches to power save (monochrome) I only get the time.

If you want to see the date in the main display, you have to have the Active Standby disabled, or if you have it enabled, have the Calendar on the Active Standby.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charlyee, yes, I guess I should. ;)

8. ellka

ellka New Member

My Phone:
    nokia 6133
    Wireless Provider(s):
    current t-mo, verizon 3yrs, sprint 1.5 yrs prior
    hi - i want to report in after having this phone for about 5 months now.
    the screens are great, as is the sound quality, volume and loudspeaker. the included headset, while a bit unruly, is also good - sound quality for me and person on other end and comfort. the rubberized coating has not come off at all and I'm somewhat, but not too careful w/the phone.
    the fm radio is great (except that must have headset attached to use it, which tangles easily), as is the software - the most customizable i've ever seen - more shortcuts than I can use.

the biggest negative is the battery. yes, it will hold a charge for 2 days if I barely use it, but after 24 hrs of mostly standby, one 10 min call will deplete the battery down to one bar and then it's a couple hours standby until low battery warning time. and this brings us to the other negatives - when the keys are locked, you can't view the time on the external screen and I must keep the keys locked as otherwise, the camera key gets activated constantly, even with the phone alone in my jacket pocket. I could live with this, as I did with my old samsung e315, if the battery was better at holding a charge.

that samsung, while lacking in the sound quality dept, could hold a charge, with moderate use, through a whole weekend. i could go out of town and forget my charger and use the phone for 2+days, no problem. my reco for the 6133 is don't pay as much as i did for it (150), but $100 or less, it's well worth it if you can charge it daily.

9. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    so is cingular bringing this phone back, after all.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's really weird. I have no complaints about the battery life. I could easily go 2 days with normal use (a few short calls per day and a few minutes of internet use). However, I usually charge the phone every night even if by the end of the day the battery still shows full charge. Even after a full day of normal use (some web browsing, Google Maps, etc and about 30 mins worth of calls) I can still talk for another 2 full hours or so without recharging. However, by the end of all that it will be low so it won't make it to a full second day.

There must be something different about yours (maybe an older version) because after locking the keys I can still see the time on the external screen.

11. briguyy

briguyy New Member

6126,6131,6133 can all be flashed to 5.50?

Hello- Im a green newcomer to this forum, thanks for having me.

I have been following these phones on forums and sites etc. Anyways i have an option to get a great deal on a 6126 and want to know if it can take the latest 5.50 flash?
    I really like the 6131's cuz the radio but just cant afford what they are going for now. And the 6133's keypad really annoyed me when i went to T-Mobile and looked at it.

Anyways any answer on that would be apperciated.

Thanks,

Brian

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Re: 6126,6131,6133 can all be flashed to 5.50?

As far as I know nobody has tried to get a 6131 flash onto 6126. Why do you want the 6131 flash? People put it on T-Mobile to get rid of customizations and inhibitions caused by T-Mobile software, what are the problems with your 6126?

13. briguyy

briguyy New Member

Thanks dmapr for the reply-

I actually dont own the phone yet. I can get a really good deal on it.
    The seller claims its a FIDO locked phone and i would unlock it for sure so my T-Mobile SIM would work.
    I was asking because some people say the 5.50 helps some poping or crakling sounds that some 6131 phones have, do the 6126's have that problem too?

Im just trying to cover my butt before buying a phone that i need to put alot of $$$ into when i could just save up a little more and get the 6131.

Thanks,
    Brian

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS

Brian,

6126 is a BB5 phone and can only be unlocked by the carrier -- I'd make absolutely certain the phone can be unlocked before buying it.

I don't know if 6126 is subject to crackling and popping noises -- and flashing it with 5.50 may put it in a state where only Nokia Service Center will be able to revive it. In short, unless it's a really good deal, there's too much risk involved, IMHO.

Just my $.02,
    Dmitry

15. briguyy

briguyy New Member

Ok then im gunna pass on that 6126 and wait to save up for the 6131.

I really wish the keypads on the 6133 could be changed to the 6131 style ( maybe there is a way..he he) cuz with that i would just go to T-Mobile and get a 6133 and then buy a kepad from cnn.n. Oh well

Thanks for all the replies and help.

I will keep up to date if i hear of any thing new or good as well.

Brian

16. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS

Someone has posted a service manual for 6131 over at HoFo -- trust me, you don't want to replace the keypad yourself :)

17. dclaar

dclaar New Member

I just don't get this whole phone thing. When I look at Nokia's site, this phone is available in a bunch of different colors. But when I look around to buy it, I find that I can have "any color, so long as it is black".

Nokia USA says they won't sell it to me unless a US carrier picks it up; Nokia UK will only deliver to a UK address. Why would Nokia advertise (and presumably build) a phone that they won't sell?

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    There doesn't seem to be much reason behind it, other than the phone doesn't even appear on the Nokia USA site. They sell the N80, E70 and perhaps a few other models that haven't been picked up by US carriers, but not 6131. As for color -- I think Russia has all three colors (black, red & sand), but I don't recall seeing one at the store, only online.

19. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well, I just retired my 6131. As much as I loved it at first (and still love the phenominal display quality), I could not handle the popping and cracking noise along with horrific battery life anymore. I rarely ever had the phone on and when I would, one call would seriously deplete the battery.

Besides, I've caught the PDA phone bug...I just love my new MDA! :browani: :D

Farewell my 6131...

20. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    What firmware do you have? I believe the 5.50 eliminated the cracing/popping noises (no, it's done nothing to improve the battery life). Nokia Software Update is now compatible with 6131, so if you haven't updated to 5.50, you may consider doing so -- even if the phone stays retired :)

21. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I know it is probably the earliest firmware. I got the phone not long after it came out. I'll probably update it, as you suggested, since I can always sell it...

Question for you...Can I use the Nokia phone software on my PC (what I use to add/syncronize/download stuff for my 6682) for updating the 6131 firmware?

22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    No, the software for updating is a separate Nokia utility. It is available for download from Nokia. Once you go to that page, select the phone model from the list and it'll download all the necessary stuff. You will need the data cable, that is the same as you use for sync -- assuming you're using a cable and not Bluetooth.

23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I don't have a data cable having always synced via BT. I guess I have to buy one but that's still preferable to having to send it out to Boston. Thanks for the link to the upgrade information.

24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Someone on HoFo said they had good luck buying from this eBay seller. It is about £7.50 delivered.

25. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thanks dmapr for the help and information. I just updated my 6131 to the new firmware. It was easy and painless. :D

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    No problem! I guess it's all ready to go on eBay now :)

27. Mistylee

Mistylee New Member

how to you make the mini display show up after it has dimmed

28. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    If you have the original version (ver 3.5) there is no way to stop the volume setting from showing up. dmapr has posted a link couple posts above that you can use to upgrade it to 5.5.

The word "running" shows up when you have not exited out of an application, like messaging, browsing, calendar, etc, but just closed the flip. If I remember right all the applications have "exit" buttons that will close out the program.

Hope that helps.

29. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Nah, no e-Bay for me. I just got a PM from somebody interested in the phone, so it looks like I shouldn't have a problem selling it. :)

30. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Assuming you're in the power saver mode -- tap the power button.