Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6131 Review

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by charlyee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The Nokia 6131 as you know, is the Eurasian version of the Cingular 6126 planned for July 05 launch.

The firmware details are:
    V 03.50
    31-3-06
    RM 115

I am using it with a 64K, 3G SIM from Cingular.

Overall:
    1. The built quality is excellent and has a solid feel to it. It is rubberized black with silver trim and looks quite elegant and professional.

2. The phone is narrow enough that it fits unobtrusively in the jeans pocket.

3. The push button for the flip is on the right side of the phone, so if you use your left hand to open it as I do, it needs a little bit of practice.

4. The camera button on the side of the phone can be activated with the phone closed, so could be a problem in the pocket or while holding it. It is not as sensitive as the SE 520i and in 3 days I have accidently activated it only once. The keys can be locked out to prevent this if it becomes a problem.

5. There is slight (<1mm) play on the lid in the closed postion, that I am not too happy about. I have read other people have the same situation so it may just the way the phone is.

6. The outside screen is large and in the dormant position shows the time, missed calls, VM, text etc.

Battery
    The phone came with a 50% charged battery . I played with it extensively for about 6 hours (sorry viewfly) before it finally died. I charged the battery fully and played with it extensively, made an average no. of calls and messaging and the battery died in about 24 hours. After that charge the battery has lasted 36+ hours so far with average usage but still playing with customization.

Earpiece volume:
    The earpiece volume is lower than my last 3 phones (6681, QTEK 9100, PEBL), but it is more than adequate for me. I have to put it to 10/10 in noisy environment like a car with windows down and 7/10 in my office.

Miscellaneous
    1. Setting up Pop3 E-Mail, Media Net, and MMS were a breeze thanks to the Nokia website. I have not been able to make the Video messaging work, I don't know if it is because it is an unbranded phone so when the 6126 is out I will have a better idea.

2. BT is flawless. Setting up a synch. schedule was extremely easy and flawless. There are a couple of things I don't like about the way the ToDo list is presented but it maybe an operator error and I may have to resort to reading the manual for it....:D

2. The voice recognition is built in and although I don't use it, it ia another difference with the 6131 that the names are spoken with a clipped british accent and I have to work to make the phone recognize it.

To Be Continued...........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Re: Preliminary Nokia 6131 Review - Part I...

Thanks for part I Charlyee. Let us know more, and if you think the phone is a 'keeper', even if that means only 1 year for you.

Are you willing to replace the Pebl with it?

3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

viewfly, every phone is a keeper for me for for the first month....:D . Seriously yes it is a keeper but as you know I like bar phones and do want to get back to one eventually.

About replacing the PEBL with this, that is a hard decision, the PEBL does have phenomenal call clarity and I do like the phone. It is a good phone but the UI drives me nuts and function wise it can not come close to the the 6131. Ideally I want to keep both.

I tried the camera out this morning. My 6682 took excellent pictures, both have 1.3 Mp cameras, so I am posting a side by side comparison:

The one on the left is from the 6682 and it looks slightly more crisp than the one from 6131, atleast in my eyes. Overall though the camera quality is quite good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 charlyee, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Hello Charlyee :hi:

Yes it does take nice pictures. Both of them actually.
    Now when I run my cursor over the two pictures though..the left one says nokia 6131west, and the right one says 6682west... so now I'm confused as to which one really took the picture, as you said the one on the left was from the 6682.
    I think the one on the right looks like it's brighter to me. I don't see a huge difference, just brighter. But that's me

I'm glad you are having fun with your new phone. I can see how the little gap on the top flip would bug you. I kind've wondered about that in the pictures. wow 16.7 million color screen huh? That's a lot of colors. More colors than I could actually pick out of the screen :browani:

Well continue to have fun! ;)

5. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines

i can not tell the differance, both are quite good. when i take pictures with my 6682 i use, 1280x960, seams the picture is better, but thats just me.

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Hi Kelli,good catch you are right, my mistake sorry....:O . The one on the left is from today with the 6131.

Some more update:
    I went to BestBuy to get Micro SD card, the sales person said, oh that's a very nice phone, I have been eying that myself, where did you get it from? So I said it's top secret and gave him WA's web address to join & browse...:D.

The Micro SD card is hot swappable even though you have to take out the back cover to do it.

I tried out the speaker phone, it is loud and crystal clear.

I downloaded the blank operator logo, the same one that I had for the 6230 and it works perfect, so now the screen is completely uncluttered and even more beautiful.

Intersting thing about the battery, it has beeping for the last couple of hours and I have made about 15 mins. worth of phone calls with it and it still isn't dead. This will be a good 2 days with heavier than normal use and I have no issues with that.

To Be Continued.........

PS: Another one of our members Steven2420 got the 6131 and also on Friday, but typical of a Marketing VP, he is making the engineers do all the work.....:D

7. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

sounds like it might be a keeper :)
    Don't forget to post some pictures one day...so we can see the pretty screen :browani:

8. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Great review Charlyee!:) Glad you like your phone (for now):browani: Good luck and enjoy your new toy.:D

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Charlyee, thanks for your review.

As a 6131 owner, I'm sure you can answer these questions: what are the options for recurring alarms? For instance, can you set the alarm for every day, or once a week, etc. What about the calendar? Are calendar events capable of triggering an alarm? How flexible are the calendar events as far as recurrence? Can you enter a calendar event that happens once a week for instance? Thanks.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Bobolito,

1. Yes you can set the alarm for 1-7 days.

2. Yes the calendar events can trigger an alarm.

3.The calendar recurring events are pretty flexible , every day, every week, every 2 weeks, every month, and every year. The only thing I cannot seem to be able to do is pick certain days of the week for a recurrance pattern, for that I have to do 2 same events but recurring on 2 different days......

I hope I answered all your questions, I really like the phone, the battery life is improving and I find the call volume quite acceptable.

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Cool Charlyee,

My Nokia 6230 does the same with the calendar and alarms, so I think this has been part of the standard Nokia's OS for some time.

My daugther went out and bought herself a pink Razr, so that is now part of the phone family. Good price too, $79 after rebates.

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Yes it is the same as the 6230, now that I think about it.:)

bobolito, I also wanted to add that you cannot do a recurring "ToDo" in the phone, but if you have one on Outlook it synchronizes just fine.

The one thing that is bugging me is that the "ToDo" is in no specific order and sorting it by due date is an option but there does not seem to be any way to save that option, it always goes back to the random order.

viewfly, is the 6230 the same way? I don't remember.....

PS: The calculater is quite advanced, it has the trig functions, squares & roots.

13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yes, it is the same. I never use the 'to do ' list anyhow.

hmm, the calculator sounds nice. the 6230 has squares, roots, but no trig functions, but I have those committed to memory, or is it that I should be committed for knowing them :)

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

I am the opposite I can not live without the "todo" list. I use it for project tracking purposes and have ever since my Palm Pilot days. I use the calendar only for meetings.

I agree you should be committed for knowing them, :D . I mean I know the 0, 30, 45, 60, & 90 but I do a lot of Power Factor calculations and the cellphone is the only device I am guranteed to have on me at all times.

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

bobolito, I have been reading about your concerns for the battery. The battery very easily survives way more than one day, in fact I am still playing with it and I get 2 full days on it.

viewfly, Guess what it does not have? The "wallet". I had really gotten used to it on the 6230 and the 6682 also had it.

I am liking the phone more and more. Everything seems to be superfast on it, the web browsing, mms, e-mail etc.

Everything works perfect except I cannot open a video message (I can send one fine). I get an error message saying "One or more message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation. Either the message was too large or the components were unsuitable for your terminal". Reading the Cingular customer forums there seems to be other phones both branded and unbranded, that have had this problem. I don't know if I will ever have a need for the video messaging to work but it would be kind of nice if it did. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

16. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I'm surprised too. I store info in the wallet, but so far I haven't lost my real wallet, so it's a mute point for me.

But I actually thought that the 6131 would have the wallet and the US version 6126 would not. Hmmm.

18. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

The firmware details are:
    V 03.50
    31-3-06
    RM 115

I am also using it with a 64K, 3G SIM from Cingular.

I wanted to wait at least a week before I did my review. I also did not want to do two reviews, so, with that being said, here is mine, as it appears in Scoop!!!

In addition after seeing that my esteemed friend and mentor from Wisconsin/Bengal already did an excellent one, I will give you my humble opinion below. :browani:

Finally, Nokia has released a completely reliable, fully loaded flip. Even though not available in the US, this quadband is everything anyone could need. Believe me when I tell you that I have tried ALL kinds of phones, and there is NO PHONE with the RF capability of a Nokia. I gave up a perfectly good HP 6515 for the flip of my dreams!!

PROS:

RF
    Screen is magnificent, 16 million colors is something you have to see to believe. It is like the Plasma of cellphones.
    Great menu-easy to use
    Great radio-crystal clear
    Nice stereo headset
    Bluetooth is easy and reliable-crystal clear
    EDGE-also know as EGPRS is faster the ANY browser that I have ever used-truely turbo charged.
    Solid construction-smooth and feels great in my hand
    Push button flip is awesome

CONS:

Battery is not typical of Nokia-(I charge all my phones constantly anyway, so not an issue)
    I am NOT crazy about the synch cable pop port being on top, but I can live with it.
    The camera DOES get turned on allot Charlyee, you are right on the money with that, therefore, I keep mine locked!!

Overall, this phone does deserve a 5, and if you read the other reviews as well as mine, you will really want to at least try this Nokia!!

19. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Thanks for the review Steve, and good luck with your new phone.:)

20. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Nice reviews!

This phone is very tempting, but I would want NetMonitor on it before I would bite. :D

21. Steven2420

Thank you Joe, nice to hear from you. Happy Fathers Day!!!

Thanks Budney!!

22. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought NetMonitor is already on most Nokia phones, it just needs to be activated. Has anyone been able to activate it on the 6131?

23. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Activated is what I meant. I just don't want to send it out to get it activated.

24. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

25. Steven2420

26. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

27. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

So the minimal research I did suggested that for some Nokia phones you can activate Netmonitor by entering codes on the keypad, for some you have to have a special cable and PC software (LogoManager?) and for some you have to send the phone to Nokia. Is it certain that the 6131/6126 is in the last category?

----------------

"...the minimal research he had done suggested to him that the name Ford Prefect would be nicely inconspicuous."
    - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

28. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

No it's not certain, but most new Nokias use the last two methods. :(

29. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

OK, thanks for the info. I'll wait for one of you brave souls to do this before I try it on my new 6126. :browani: I'd love to be one of the cool people :cool: who monitor towers and signal levels, but I'd rather not :censored:-up my new phone (that I don't even have yet) trying.

Now if my main phone hadn't just died, and if my backup phone wasn't restricted because of too many bad unlock attempts, I'd have a spare phone to tinker with..... :nopity: :D

30. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

how is the speed of the UI compared to the 6230. i know you said its fast, but can you blaze around the UI like on a 6230? I had the 6270 for a while and it was noticably slower than the 6230, something i found quite annoying. im thinking of getting one of these...