Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6030 - Compatible with mobile networks in Switzerland?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by YuhChic, May 12, 2007.

1. YuhChic

YuhChic New Member

Hi, all -
    I have a Nokia 6030 and was wondering if it was compatible in Switzerland? I'll be in Geneva for quite some time, so it would be wonderfully convenient to have a phone. The Nokia 6030 is a dualband 900/1800, and I'm pretty sure it will work, but have gotten some mixed signals. Anyone know for sure? If the phone works, any recommendations on a prepaid SIM provider?

Thanks!

2. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Yes, your 900/1800 GSM Nokia 6030 will work in Switzerland. :)

While unfortunately for me it was only a hypothetical conversation, I've had a friend recommend I would need a United Mobile prepaid SIM card for my Swiss Alps ski vacation. Others who have "real" experience in this area may have some other recommendations as well. ;)

Enjoy your time in Geneva!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YuhChic

YuhChic New Member

hme83,
    Thanks for the recommendation! Hope you make it to the Alps soon...! :)

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The reason you're getting mixed signals is because 6030 is available in two configurations frequency-wise.

When you type in *#0000# on your 6030, what does it display? (Firmware model/version).

RM-74 & RM-229 — dual-band 900/1800 (will work in Switzerland, as hme83 said)
    RM-75 & RM-225 — dual-band 850/1900 (will not work in Switzerland)

Check out PrepaidGSM for provider recommendations.

5. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You're welcome. :) I only wish I had some first-hand experience to have based it on. ;) (So be sure to check out the other lead provided by dmapr.) And yeah......I hope to make it there "soon-ish" - it would be great!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You should be fine to put a local Swiss SIM into your phone, as long as your phone shows the right firmware and is hence 900/1800 ready, like dmapr pointed out. All Swiss carriers cover the Geneva area excellent. The thing I always liked to do in the Lake Geneva area was to do a network scan and see all Swiss networks as well as those from France show up. ;)