Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 5165: Programming for emergency use.

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by jerroldt, Jan 17, 2003.

1. jerroldt

jerroldt New Member

I just got a new cell phone and my Nokia 5165 has been de-activated. I still can use it to call 911 and
    *77 (State Police emergency). Does anyone known how to program it to also make collect calls and credit card calls. Is there a someone who will do it comercially for a reasonable price? Want to give it to my girlfriend to keep in her car for emergencies. Thanks, Jerry

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

When you place a call, it will look for an available TDMA and/or analog carrier (starting with whatever is programmed in the phone as the home carrier and then searching for any other carrier). Whoever takes the call will give you the option of placing a credit card call since the phone is deactivated.

3. jerroldt

jerroldt New Member

Thanks for the info but doesn't seem to work here. When I try to dial a local or long distance number the AT&T recording comes on and tells me my account has been de-activated. Several years ago when I got the Nokia 5165, I could use the old cell phone make credit card calls but it was through some outfit who charged $3/minute. Can't remember their name. I also went to Systems on the menu and tried searching but can' get anything other than AT&T. Jerry

4. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    I cant remember

Does the 5165 have the calling card feature?

5. jerroldt

jerroldt New Member

I'm not much of an expert on cell phones, but I don't think it has the prepaid card feature. The guy at the Walmart store told me it didn't but he probably knows less than me. I have since found a place on the web where they will talk you through programming the phone for credit card and collect calls (for $30) but they won't be able to do it for several months for some reason. Also found lots of companies who will sell you a pre-progammed phone for $50-$70 but I like the Nokia and would like to make it work. Jerry

6. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    Yes, the 5165 has the calling card feature. You said it was programmed to at&t? Go to walmart and buy an at&t prepaid card. The prepaid card should have instrucions on how to activate it. Caution: activating it may trip the timer on the expiration.

Or

You could take it into att, and have them "unlock it". Then you could re-program it to find another carrier which allows collect calling.

7. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

Uh, isn't the "calling card" feature different than a prepaid type of thing?

8. jerroldt

jerroldt New Member

My 5165 has apparently been locked. Can AT&T do that remotely? My security code doesn't work anymore and the originally programmed code (12435) doesn't work either. Will AT&T unlock a phone for you? Another strange thing: When My new Motorola V60i rings and the 5165 in nearby, it will ring also, and you can answer and talk on it until I shut the Motorola off then the Nokia goes off-line also. Spooky!

An aside:
    I called AT&T on the Nokia and was told that the only numbers that I can dial with it are 911 and AT&T, which I already knew. Apparently they have it fixed so that when I search for another of the many carriers in this area, the phone will only find AT&T. Jerry

9. Nokiaman18

Nokiaman18 Junior Member

Att phones are soc locked onto ATT so you basically have a phone that you can not use on any other system out there. There are some who claim to be able to unlock them but I have yet to see anyone successfully unlock one yet. So I really don't know what else to tell you on that one. For the security code issue there is a way to reset it. Just press *3001#12345# and scroll to security code and delete what is in there and put in whatever you want for a five digit number. Than turn the phone off and back on and leave it sit for 15 minutes without touching any other keys and you should be okay.. Let me know how that works for you.

10. jerroldt

jerroldt New Member

My girl friend brought the phone over this week end and yes the code given above allowed me to see what the security code is and it now works. I have just one more question: Since I have an account with AT&T (Motorola V60i) and also an AT&T calling card, is there any way to go to the calling card portion of the menu and program my calling card number so that calls could be billed to it?