Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 5165 (erasing information in phone?)

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I just got a new phone today through ATT, I kept my same phone number and everything, just swapped phones. My new phone works fine it sends and receives calls and is showing the proper phone number. The problem is my old phone..........I tried to make a call on it to make sure it is deactivated, I got a recorded message that stated the call wouldn't go through....good, I thought.

I had both my phones on later today because I was getting the numbers in my phone book tranferred out of my old phone into my new one. Someone called me, my new phone rang and my old one did too! I answered both and could talk on both.

My question is how can I get into my old phone and erase everything so this don't happen, if it is not possible I guess I could smash it, it was a freebie and my new one is too, but I was going to either sell or give my old away.

Thanks

2. dallison

dallison Senior Member

to erase the phonebook go to the phonebook and go to erase or press menu 1-4. erase all and the code should be 12345. now for the call log. go to the call log and go to CLEAR CALL LISTS and then select ALL. or press menu 3-4-1. that will erase the incoming outgoing and missed calls. now to erase the # from your v-mail. press menu 2-2-2 and just clear out the # by pressing the C key. also to get the phone number out of your fon press *#639# Phone Number will show on the screen type in 000+the last 7 digits of your esn, (to do this u must 1st take the battery off the fon and write down the esn) and then press OK. then it will ask for code, I will give you the SID for my area 01625 type this in and then press OK. it will say activation ok and it will restart itself.
    all of this should reset your phone except the life timer. hope this helps

3. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

Wow, both phones rang? That's not supposed to happen. Something must have happened where their switch had both ESNs in at the same time...that problem should be fixed by now. I'm very surprised that that happened though...unusual. The ESN switch should deactivate the old phone and activate the new one simultaneously.

4. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

I've seen this happen. A coworker replaced her 5160 with a 3360. She kept both on because she was still getting some of the phone book entries out of the old one (I'm not sure why cingular didn't transfer the numbers for her). I rode with her to a meeting at a customer site. As we pulled into the parking lot, her boss called. Both phones rang. She hit the answer button on the new 3360 and started talking. She could hear her boss, but only barely, then we realized that his voice was coming out of the 5160, even though no buttons on it had been pressed to take the call!

I assume when you answer what actually happens is that your phone sends some "ready to talk" message back to the tower, which then sends the voice data, which your phone automatically starts playing. So in theory, your provider can make your phone start transmitting any time they want to.

5. dallison

dallison Senior Member

what happens ther is , since the old fon was registered under the # and if the other fon was close by (w/in a few feet) they both may ring b/c of being basically a 2 way radio. separate both fones and try to call, the new fon should ring only. or just shut off the old fon.
    stuff like that will happen even years down the road if u still have the same #

6. LeeM

LeeM Junior Member

It happend to me too. I actuall have 3 phones and they all ring. When you send an email or sms to your phone you will get it on all your phones as well.
    sometimes I get only 2 out of 3 or 1 out of 3 ringing. I'm not sure why this happends.

7. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    they were close to eachother, mine do that too. if you answer on the de-activated one, nothing happens and the other keeps ringing.

8. MrBee

MrBee New Member

Hi there,
    My problem is that I forgot my security code to clear the time log on my Nokia 5165. I tried what you suggested above, figuring that would work for me...no luck! I would think that the SID number (whatever it is) would have to be the right one.
    Can you tell me how to go about resetting a NEW Security Code

Thank you
    <><

9. AJB2323

AJB2323 Junior Member

This has happend several times to me I just dont worry about it. One time my friend was going through all my phonew to pick one to upgrade to and he was turning them on and looking during this I got a call and like 4 phones started ringing.

10. yasiruran

yasiruran New Member

i woud like to erase nokia no70 life tite