Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

[Nokia 5165] Envelope Icon Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by greenknight, Jun 20, 2003.

1. greenknight

greenknight New Member

I have a Nokia 5165, and recently someone sent me two text messages. This friend who sent the messages said they "messed up" [but didn't say how] on the first message, and now the enveope icon denoting an unread text message won't go away.

I have checked the Inbox for the text messages repeatedly, but it says I have no new messages.

Is there any way to get rid of this icon? Is there any way to purge this glitched [I assume] message my friend sent so that my phone detects new messages properly?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    Have you tried turning the phone off, pulling the battery then putting it all back together.....might be worth a shot. I know on my 3586i there is an option to clear the message notification icon, although I am pretty sure your phone doesnt have that option.

3. greenknight

greenknight New Member

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. Left it off for a long time as well, to see if it would finally disregard the bad message. No dice. Thanks, though!

4. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    Try checking your voicemail and erase any messages. Then try what was said before by turning it off then on. Call customer service to see if they can help you out !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. elnlou

elnlou New Member

Gee whiz. I have the sampe problem with voice mail! See below. I tried all the stuff mentioned including removing the battery, etc. I am left to believe the provider (not Nokia) has to solve this problem. See below:

Anyone know how to get rid of your cell phone voice mail icon indicator when there is no voice mail in your inbox?

I decided to try a Tracfone prepaid cell phone. I had it in Florida and then came to NY. I had to exchange my FL cell phone for a reconditioned one that provided local service in the NY area. I believe my provider was Cingular in FL. Now that I am in NY I am have big problems. I believe my cell phone provider is Verizon (evidently Tracfone keeps the provider a secret) My cell phone is a Nokia 5180i.

I think it must have to do with programming the voice mail and the personal and administrative settings. There is a feature to turn off the icon message but it doesn't seem to work. So there is something else going on.

The Tracfone folks say I have to wait till a weekday and they will contact the provider and have me on the phone at the same time to get instructions. UGH! [​IMG]

6. Jebus

Jebus New Member

GreenKnight,

The problem may not be with your phone, but rather your SIM card, if you have one. As far as I know, an incoming message cannot alter anything about your phone. I suspect what might have happened is that the most recent messages you recieved somehow confused your SIM card.

Does it say that you have a message waiting or that the text message memory if full?

I had a similar problem with my last phone, a Siemens S40, where it constantly blinked the message indicator, which is supposed to mean that the message memory is full. It continued blinking after I deleted everything from the text memory. I found that the message warning followed the SIM card and not the phone. I could place the SIM into any phone that would accept it and, sure enough, the message full warning popped up.

I would contact your service provider to ask them if they know how to reset your SIM's memory, or something along those lines. I never actually resolved my problem since I got a new phone with a new SIM. Just so you know, you are not the only one to have this problem. I know several people whom it has also happened to - we just get two or three messages in a row and the SIM card gets excited.

I don't know who your provider is but call them and ask, or take your phone to a company owned store - I'm sure they will have seen it before.

Good luck.