Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 5160i Stuck in "Test Mode"

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Zak, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Zak

Zak New Member

Nokia 5160i Stuck in "Test Mode"

I woke up this morning to find my Nokia 5160i in "Test mode". Everything seems to work except that I get no keypad tones and the phone does not ring when a call comes in (very frustrating). I've tried enabling and disabling Field Test, but it makes no difference - the "Test mode" on my display just won't go away!

Is there anything I can do? I just can't deal with a phone that won't ring...

-Zak

2. Zak

Zak New Member

Eight hours later and no replies... I guess I'm going to call Cingular and see what they say. Are they going to hassle me for having activated Field Test on my phone, or do I even have to mention that? (it certainly appears that this "Test mode" and the Field Test are unrelated).

Anyone?
    -Zak

3. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

go into your menus and find the field test mode option...hit ok....a screen will pop up that has a box to type in a number...type 00...and hit enter...that will turn it off....email me at spyder1375@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as I know Test Mode is how Motorola calls the Field Test so they should be the same thing. It is weird though that the phone doesn't function normally while in test mode. I've left mine in Field Test all the time and I am able to make and receive calls normally. But try what spyder22 said above.

By the way, I wouldn't be afraid to call Cingular and ask for help. They will be glad to help you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Zak

Zak New Member

As I already stated, I've tried enabling and disabling (and 00'ing) Field Test and it makes no difference. Normally, when Field Test is enabled, the display will say "Field Test", not "Test Mode". I don't think the two are related at all.
    I called this morning - they had me go through the steps to disable Field Test and of course, it made no difference. They recommend I take the phone somewhere and have it serviced. Since my original contract just recently ran out, maybe I can convince them to replace the phone for free in exchange for keeping me as a customer... Going to run by a Cingular store and see what they say. Been wanting to replace this old 5160 for quite awhile!

Oh - I discovered this morning when trying to call Cingular that although I can place calls with the phone, when the other person answers, they cannot hear me speak (and I cannot hear them). Also, when I receive a call, the phone doesn't ring, but I can answer... When I answer, again I can't hear them and they can't hear me. Very very strange. I even tried a headset and it has the same problem (plus, the phone keeps saying "Test Mode" instead of switching to say "Headset").

<shrug> Probably just dropped the phone too many times or something. Hope I can get it replaced for free - I'm currently unemployed!

Later,
    -Zak

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So you're part of that 6% of the US population who doesn't have to get up early. Sorry to hear that. Well, if your phone doesn't ring, it doesn't come out of Test Field and they cannot hear you in the other end when you talk, that's not strange at all. That means the phone is defective. I highly doubt they will replace it for free since that's not their duty to provide you with free equipment. But they have the 5165i for $29.99 but you have to sign a new contract I believe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zak

Zak New Member

Yeah, I just can't figure out how having it sit on the nightstand overnight made it go from working fine to being defective. <boggle> As I said, it is NOT in "Field Test"! When I put it into Field Test, it SAYS it's in Field Test. When I take it out of Field Test, it says it's in "Test Mode".
    When I signed my original 2 year contract, the phone was free. If they want to keep me as a customer (ie: have me sign another contract), they had better give me a good deal on a replacement phone (or free as before). My wife just signed up with AT&T 3 months ago and guess what? Her phone was FREE.
    That comment sounded pretty sarcastic... It's hard going from making good money and barely supporting a family of 5 on that paycheck to drawing unemployment ( 25% of what I made previously ) and still having to buy food and pay for air-conditioning and make the house payment, etc. Even with my wife taking a job making approximately what I'm getting on unemployment, we still don't have anywhere near enough money to go out and spend $75-$100 on a new cell phone. I'll just cancel the service - we can definately use the extra $35/month I would have been giving Cingular!

Anyhow, I'll drop by a Cingular shop sometime this weekend and see what they can do for me. I'll either come away with a free or cheap replacement for my phone or I'll leave without cellular service. Their decision as far as I'm concerned.

-Zak

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I had the same problem and I removed the battery (while the phone was still turned on).
    When I replaced the battery and powered it up... it came back Normal.

9. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

It's hard to get connotations in these forums that we would normally pick up in voice conversations. I went back and re-read it, and while it is a sarcastic comment, I think he meant it more in the supportive sense than the smart-a** sense.