Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 3589i flashing display

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by EdwardP, Dec 20, 2004.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    When the power button is depressed and released, instead of the phone lighting up and turning on, if you look closely at the display with hand over it to block out some light, the screen flashes with a thin white border going around the outer edge of the entire screen.

The only way I've found to correct this, is to remove and replace the battery, which apparently resets the phone.

This is the second new phone I've received from Verizon that has done this, but like the first phone, it does not do this every time the phone is powered on. I've tried a different battery as well.

Any chance this is a known problem with this particular model? As it is past the return period with Verizon, I'm not about to shell out another $129 for a third new phone. This is also on their prepay service and a new phone from another carrier could be purchased for far less than $129.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have the 3589. I have found that in order to turn the phone on or off, it is necessary to hold the switch for a few seconds.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What I've done since, is hold down the power button until (or if) the phone beeps. If it beeps, the screen will light up normally. If it does not beep, the flashing described above occurs.

It came with the Nokia BLC-2 battery. I thought there might have been a stronger (higher than 950 mAh) battery for this model, but there is none available.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    The phone does take a couple seconds to turn on. I mean I always have to push down the power button for a couple seconds in order to have the phone turn on.
    Edward, I think it's time for you to get a different phone; that Nokia model doesn't seem to fit you ;)

5. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Out of every Nokia phone I've used since the 100 (analog), the 3589i is the only model I've had problems with.

I wonder if I should go out and get a CDMA TracFone instead (Nokia 2285), for less than $50... :D

6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    As I said before, Edward, I am REALLY surprised you've had that many problems with VZW's 3589i's. I have two of them and they are power horses(or whatever the expression is ;) ). Left them in the melting snow/water for hours, with water dripping out, still works great... Have it drop hard, etc. nothing has ever happened. The first Nokia cellphone I've ever had was in Germany(I still have that phone BTW), and used it for at least 6 years... only problem was RF wasn't too good ;)

7. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I should correct my previous post. I also had those two 3585i phones on Alltel's Simple Freedom prepay service, which would not detect incoming calls all of the time. VZW's network only saw the phone when it was on a live call, once the call ended (but the phone remained powered on), both phones dropped off the network.

So in reality, I have had trouble with the 358xI series of phone. :(

Since those are all CDMA, I wonder if it could be the technology inside them...

8. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have a new BLC-2 battery and am going to charge it 24 hours on the VZW phone and hopefully afterwards, the phone will powerup properly.

If not...then I have to assume this problem is common with the 3589i.

9. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Edward this is not a common problem with the 3589. However, your local store may have received a batch with a common problem. May I suggest, if you have the problem again, return the phone, then get a new one at a differet store or directly from your provider. I bet, this solves the problem.

10. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is the second 3589i I have received directly from Verizon that did this.

Last night after I inserted the new BLC-2 battery into the phone and plugged the charger in, the display began to flash immediately, instead of a dimmed display reading "Phone off. Battery charging."

At this point, I believe I have been more than patient with it, I no longer have any faith in that phone (or model) and it is no longer worthy of further investment. I paid full price originally ($129) and am not going to shell out another $100 or so for another phone.

Purchasing a Nokia 2285 from RadioShack is not feasible since it is not a tri-band phone, the 2285 does not have AMPS despite some Verizon authorized dealers continuing to offer it.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Edward, may I ask why this is such a huge problem for you? I mean every phone has it's little bugs, even my VX6000 has it's bugs...every phone has something wrong, this, IMO, is something not worth getting a new phone for(If it's out of warranty). My Nokia 3589i has done this maybe once, but if you press the power button for a couple seconds this won't happen...
    ~Andy :)

12. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Between the two phones, the flashing display has occurred at least two dozen times, if not more.

It is a mobile telephone, it should act and work like one.

Every time I depress the power button initially (while holding it down for a few seconds), I expect the phone to properly power itself on and detect a signal from Verizon's network. Point blank, this does not happen.

The only things the phone does properly are (1) detect all incoming calls and make outgoing calls - IF the phone properly powers itself on, (2) downloads/installs PRL's when available for prepay service, and (3) displays the correct icons when a SMS or voice mail message arrives.

I have held the power button down for at least a few seconds, sometimes it will power on, the rest of the time, it does not (display flashes).

The phone is still in-warranty, the replacement would have to come from Nokia directly, but since this is the 2nd phone of the same model which has done this, why should I expect any replacement from Nokia to work any differently? :rant:

The one thing that has not been done to the phone is to have its internal software flashed to a more recent version, but there is no guarantee that it will solve the issue.

13. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Another thing that hadn't been done to the phone, is to add Contacts.

So...I added a half dozen or so Contacts to it and now the phone has properly powered up each and every time it's been powered on this evening. I believe I have turned this phone on and off a good 25 times (so far) this evening. :clap:

I checked the owners' manual again, it states that in order to power it on, hold down the power button for two seconds and also when removing the battery, make sure the phone has been turned off for 10 seconds before removing it. In turning it on, I have been holding down the power button until the phone beeps, even if it is for longer than two seconds.

14. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ed's working Verizon phone - Day 2​

Still working... :D

15. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The phone was returned to VZW this past weekend, the flashing eventually stops and the phone dies when that occurs.

As they did not have any refurbished 3589i's available, I was provided with another brand new phone which has the latest software inside it, the previous phones did not.

So far, so good. :)