Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 3588i battery life problems

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by asbarrett, Dec 3, 2004.

1. asbarrett

asbarrett New Member

Hey, new to the forum..
    About three months ago I got myself SprintPCS service and took the free 3588i phone. The problem with it has been that the battery will be near dead in about 24-36 hours, and I only use my phone for about 30-45 minutes in a day. According to their battery life specs, thats pretty bad. I took the phone back to the Sprint store, and they changed some settings (they said it might be roaming.. it was never going into roaming but hey..). That didn't fix it. I took it back again and they gave me a new battery. Didn't fix it. Took it back a third time, they tested the phone. They said nothing was wrong but replaced the phone anyway. The second phone, which is sitting next to me now, STILL does this. So I went back a fourth time and had the charger replaced, thinking it might be that. Guess what? Yeah.. nothing. So now that I think I've covered all the bases.. does anyone know if this is just normal for this model? Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks!
    Adam

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Nokia's CDMA models don't often get the battery life that is claimed. I am not sure why (there could be many variables involved) but I have experienced it as well. My recommendation, if you are otherwise happy with the phone, is to go to eBay and pick up a spare battery and a desktop charger. I got both (OEM Nokia too) for under $30 shipped.

3. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    :welcome: to Wireless Advisor!

I have a Nokia 3589i on Verizon and it's the third phone I've received from them (within the first month of service). Somewhere else on WA, I posted this experience.

If the 3588i has a color screen, the battery tends to deplete its charge quicker than the 3585i (Simple Freedom prepay and Alltel) which does not have a color screen.

Check Nokia's web page for that model http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3588i/ and see if there is another battery available that lasts longer than the battery which came with the phone. The higher the mAH rating, the longer it should last between charges.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Are there any known problems with Nokia's BLC-2 battery? (This may be the same battery that the 3588i accepts.)

This is the only battery listed for a Nokia 3589i phone (CDMA).

I have gone through three of these batteries, and after initially blaming the phone, I am now wondering whether there is a problem with this particular model of battery.

If it matters, all three of these BLC-2 batteries are made in China. All other Nokia batteries I have are made in Japan.

Upon charging a brand new BLC-2 in the phone, the phone's display flashed (white flash at outer edges of screen), instead of seeing the message "Phone off, battery charging" in the display. To stop this flashing, the battery must be removed and replaced. Upon doing so, the battery began to charge properly and the above message then appeared. The phone powered on properly each time, until it was time to charge the battery again.

For this second charge cycle, it correctly began to charge. However when the charging cycle was completed, the charger removed and the phone was powered on the first time, the display flashed again. The battery was again removed and replaced, and the phone has powered on correctly since.

I am aware that Nokia does not recommend aftermarket batteries (generics) be used due to problems, and I have read reports about phones getting hot and catching fire with the use of such aftermarket batteries. The local Wal Mart sells such a battery (offered by a Motorola subsidiary) that fits a dozen or so Nokia models, including the 3589i.

Do Nokia BLC-2 batteries made in Japan actually exist? The picture on the Nokia USA web site for this battery indicates that particular battery was made in Japan.

Or...is there a remote possibility that the Nokia-branded chargers might be bad? I have more than one, the same model is used for a number of phones and batteries. I also have a GE-Sanyo aftermarket charger which includes a charging stand, that can charge the phone's battery via AC or a computer's USB port, I have not used this yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 EdwardP, Jan 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2005