Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 3360 IR Port help!

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by bobolito, Jun 7, 2002.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I bought a 3360 because they said it has an IR port and I am basically attracted to the idea of sending ringtones and phonebook entries to the phone through IR. Well, I don't know what it is but I can't get this to work. First of all, I bought a USB external IR port which installed with no problems on XP. I put the phone in front of the IR port after activating the port on the phone and XP tells me right away that there's a computer nearby and gives me options to transfer files. However, sometimes XP tells me that Nokia 3360 is within range instead of just saying its a computer. Then every couple of minutes or so it repeatedly tells me that the communication has been blocked then another minute later it re-detects the phone again. It keeps doing this for as long as I have the phone aiming at the PC IR port. I am placing the phone a couple of inches from the PC IR port and of course facing each other and there are no obstructions in between.

Now for the fun: I installed the Nokia PC suite 4.1 and it failed the IR phone detection. I tried the same on another computer with XP and Nokia suite didnt detect the phone either. I tried in a third computer with Windows 98 and the same thing happened except that this time the Nokia connection manager would detect the phone, but the other programs in the Nokia suite didn't see the phone at all. I replaced the phone thinking that it was a problem with the phone's IR port. I then got another one. Someone told me to upgrade the phone to v2.06. The replacement I got had v1.04 so I sent it to Nokia and they flashed it to 2.06. This made no difference at all. XP still gives me the same message about detecting another computer nearby, and the Nokia Suite completely ignores the signal from the phone. What am I doing wrong here? I bought this phone just for the IR port and it seems useless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

did you get this to work? I plan on doing the same thing when I get my phone this week.

3. NickC

NickC Junior Member

Silly question, but did you activate the IR port before trying to sync? On the 3360, you have to hit Menu & scroll to Infrared (Menu 9 as a shortcut). You'll see the little graphic indicating that the phone is ready to receive IR. It is active for about 2 minutes & then automatically shuts off.

I haven't tried to use the Nokia PC Suite. I've beamed all my contacts from my Palm PDA through the IR port. It works flawlessly! [​IMG] I even had a collegue beam with his Pocket PC - no problem! Seamless - no settings required to say the data is coming from Palm OS or Pocket PC.

If you use either PDA, you may just want to beam from that. The only problem is that you have to hit the left softkey 3 times to save a business card - once to show, then options, then save.

Good luck!

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, I activated the IR port on the phone. Otherwise, Windows would've never told me that it had detected another computer in range and yes, the IR indicator was flashing on the phone screen (next to the D that indicates Digital). I tried a couple of laptops (Gateway Solo 2500 and Gateway Solo 9300) both running Windows 98. The phone worked like a charm on the 2500. I was able to transfer data back and forth using the Nokia suite (FINALLY!!). But I couldn't get it to work in the 9300 (same old problem where Windows detected the phone but the Nokia software didn't). I called Gateway to find out the differences between the IR ports built-in these two computers. They couldn't answer my question but I am still investigating. This is crucial if you are planning on buying a laptop with this capability in mind. A Nokia support tech told me that some computer's IR ports are too fast for the phone to synch properly, so he asked me to slow it down in control panel to 9600 but that didn't work. I am still working on the mystery. I have tried 5 computers and so far it worked in only 1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

I know you said you are still trying but any luck with using the USB external IR port? Is this the one you bought? http://shop.store.yahoo.com/compusb/usbinadforwi.html

I have a XP desktop and want to buy the above unit so I can communicate with my phone.

Maybe when you installed the Nokia software it didn't find the IR port?

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am looking into possibly buying another external IR-port port. The one I bought (USB) doesn't seem to be doing the job. It hasn't worked so far. Only the 2500 laptop using its built-in port has worked. I need to make sure what specs I am looking for before buying another external port. I haven't found anyone who has gotten this to work with an external port. Yes, Windows finds the port with no problems. Remember that my original post says Windows has no problem detecting the phone. It's the Nokia software that fails to detect the phone. According to Nokia, Windows "sees" the phone but the phone cannot "see" the computer port and that's why the Nokia software says "the phone was not found."

The port selling in the Yahoo link is not the one I bought. The one I bough seems to have the same specs but is cheaper and looks smaller.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    An update: I spoke with Nokia again and asked them what specs a computer IR port should have in order to communicate with the 3360 and they said that it has to be a built-in type of port (maybe they say that because they don't want to deal with it if you buy an external), and that it has to be IrDA compliant. When I asked if it was IrDA 1.1 specs she couldn't tell me about the 1.1, only that it had to be IrDA. Also, the phone supports 9600bps speed. They have no more info. I will see if I can dig more info from Gateway. I got tired of looking on other forums and the Internet in general.

By the way, Nokia mentioned that it's not supposed to work in Windows XP. Only 2000 or below.

Has anyone transferred data to the 3360 via IR using an external computer IR port?

8. ANDREMIKE

ANDREMIKE New Member

So looking at the system requirements for the PC suite, it doesn't include WIN XP! That's stupid. when will the PC suite support XP? It sais you can have a desktop with an IR port.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    To install and run Nokia PC Suite 4.1, you need:
    • Nokia 3320 or 3360 phone
    • an Intel-compatible PC running Windows 95®, Windows 98®, Windows Millennium Edition® (ME), or Windows 2000®
    Professional
    • at least 40 megabytes of free disk space
    • an infrared port on your desktop PC or laptop computer

Did you try this?

Enable infrared communications
    It is not necessary to enable infrared communications for users of Windows Millennium Edition (ME) and Windows 2000 prior to
    using this feature. The infrared port is always active.
    If you use Windows 95 or Windows 98, you can use the infrared control panel to activate or deactivate infrared communications.
    During the PC Suite installation process, the installer application activates infrared communications on your PC. The infrared port
    on your PC remains active until you deactivate it.
    To enable infrared communications on your phone, please refer to the infrared section in your phone’s user guide.

THERE's got to be someone thats running it.

9. ANDREMIKE

ANDREMIKE New Member

Well this sucks........ I sent Nokia an email asking the following question

'Does the PC suite 4.1 support XP? I plan on buying an
    external IR devcie for my desktop that is running XP and want to know
    if
    the phone will work with it.

HERE WAS THEIR RESPONSE:

I am very sorry, but at this time, your Nokia 3360 phone is not
    compatible to work with the Windows XP operating system. As a result,
    there is no program available that will enable you to back up your
    phone
    numbers to a computer using Windows XP. I apologize for any
    inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

Mark
    Customer Care
    NokiaUSA.com

I still don't understand if it is the phone or the software.....

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Due to the short lifespan of cellphones I doubt very much that Nokia will launch a version of PC Suite specifically for XP and the 3360. They will eventually launch a PC Suite that works on XP but probably for another phone model. Or hopefully and more realistically, they may release an XP version that will work on all phones models with IR ports.

My computer technical background leads me to think that the current PC Suite software is not designed to work on XP. I don't think is a limitation of the phone. Also, I believe that the computer "sees" the phone but the phone doesn't "see" or "understand" the data from the PC. There is some technical spec about the IR port that has to be met (that I haven't uncovered yet) for the phone to work with the computer.

Nokia techs don't seem very confident that this way of transferring data is reliable. They tell me that it doesn't work all the time and not with all computers. It gave me the impression they were trying to tell me that it works whenever it feels like it. When they say something like that is because they know they have problems. If they figure out that it is too costly or non-profitable to fix these problems, they might very well stop producing this technology entirely and move back to cable transfer like everyone else.

What I am trying to find out is, if it doesn't work with all computers, what is the difference between them so I can make a wise purchasing decision and buy equipment that meets the specs?

11. ANDREMIKE

ANDREMIKE New Member

Maybe there's a glimer of hope. Here was another response.

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I am very sorry, but the PC Suites available on the NokiaUSA.com
    website
    are not compatible with Windows XP. We apologize for any inconvenience
    you may have experienced as a result.

Nokia is looking into possible solutions for users of Windows XP.
    Please continue to visit our website for future updates.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,

Mark
    Customer Care
    NokiaUSA.com

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well Andremike, there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    I finally got it to work under XP! Yes! Windows XP! and using an external USB IrDA port! This is something everyone at Nokia will tell you it doesn't work. Actually, it may not work 100% reliably but it does what is supposed to do.

How did I do it? Well, after a Nokia tech telling me what he believed was the problem I got a few ideas and gave me a few more things to play with. I went to my IrDA USB port settings in Device Manager and change its speed to 9600. It was set at 4mbps! As soon as I did that the Nokia Suite recognized the phone. One minor glitch is that Windows XP complains a lot saying "Wireless Link Interrupted", I simply ignore the message and do my work or you can disable the message in Windows control panel. Also, the Nokia Content Copier takes too long to start but once it starts it works ok. At the beginning it seems to be frozen but give it about 45 seconds and it comes up.

I was able to compose a ring tone and send it to the phone. Although I think that the Nokia Ring Composer is very limited in features. The http://www.ufone.ca website has a web application where you can build your own ringtones and is much more powerful than the Nokia Ring Composer. You can set the volume, set tones to loop indefinitely, choose between normal, continuous or staccato notes among other things which you can't do with the Nokia Composer. Also, I was able save my phone book to the computer and send it back to the phone using the Content Copier and the PC Sync.

What I am working now is on how to create my own phonebook in the computer and have it recognized by the Nokia software. I am having problems recognizing the phonebook file. It tells me that the file is invalid, but this has nothing to do with the IR port.

I feel like a kid with a new toy now...lol

13. ANDREMIKE

ANDREMIKE New Member

What USB IR port did you buy? Do you think the one I listed above will be ok? Or should I go to Best Buy or Officemax and buy one?
    Well I wonder why then they say it won't work?

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They say that because it may have some problems or did not pass certain quality tests. I bought mine through ebay.
    I found that Nokia PC Suite works best if there's no connection to the phone first. Run the program first while the phone is inactive, after it's up then activate the phone's IR port and let it do the detection.

Here it is a link to the port I bought in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2031282670

15. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

Don't know whether this will help or not but....

Had some trouble recently with a bad serial port on the base of a Cassiopeia E-105 PDA.... Casio wanted $200 to fix it.... In a flash of brilliance I looked around the unit and noticed an infrared port... Hmmmm. I'm on to something. I was lead to Extended Systems... They sell infrared solutions.

http://www.extendedsystems.com... They sell excellent infrared adapters... I ordered this slick little infrared serial adapter from them. Nice people, good prices, excellent support.... This device is supported natively in XP...

BTW, I'm using infrared with Windows XP to synch my Nokia 6360 with my PC.. Nokia PCSynch 1.2.. Without a hitch....

Ballzo