Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 3100 and 3120 Compatibility

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by jurypower, Jan 6, 2008.

1. jurypower

jurypower New Member

I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 3120 fone and using the SIM card from my present fone,
    a Nokia 3100, in it. Are these fones compatible regarding the SIM cards?

Thanks

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Yes, they are compatible with SIM cards, BUT keep in mind there is one major difference between the two. The 3100 came in a US tri-band version (850/1800/1900mhz) and a Euro version (900/1800/1900mhz). You most likely have the US version.

As far as the 3120 goes, it was only made in a European version, meaning it is missing one of the American frequencies (850mhz). If you are with AT&T, the 850mhz band is the most important one. The 3100 won't work in areas where AT&T has 850 mhz service, which is many places. It would ONLY work in areas where AT&T uses the 1900mhz band.

The 3120 would work with T-Mobile because they only use the 1900mhz band. Though they do roam in some areas on AT&T's 850mhz band, this would be the only limitation. T-Mobile does not roam on AT&T's network in many areas at the moment, so for the most part, you would be OK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Yes, Cingular (now AT&T) did have a version of the 3120 with the 850 Mhz band. Look under the battery, at the phone's label, and make sure it says 3120b. The "b" means it has 850 Mhz.

If the new phone has the b, you must also be sure the new phone is either unlocked, or is locked to the same provider as the previous phone.

4. jurypower

jurypower New Member

Thanx to both for your comments and assistance.assistance.

5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    BTW, 3100 and 3120 are so similar they use the same firmware. As long as it's 3100b/3120b or 3100/3120 they're completely interchangeable.