Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 2128 and Verizon

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Modemjunkie, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Modemjunkie

Modemjunkie New Member

I lost my LG 4650 last week and Verizon suggested that I buy a and return it within two weeks if I find the old one or get my insurance replacement. But I have found a strange thing -- when people talk to me on the 2128i they always ask where I am.. They say the sound is so much clearer on the Nokia than on my old LGs. The LG is a much cooler looking phone, but I am tired of having people tell me they cannot hear me. The 2128i seems to do everything I want. Although I miss the outside toggles and the flip this little phone seems a wonder.

But it will only cost me $50 to replace the LG on my insurance plan while Verizon wants $150 for the 2128i.

Now the questions:
    I have read that it is possible to buy the Nokia 2128 for only $70 from Bestbuy as a prepaid phone and use it on my regular Verizon account. Is this true?

Are there any differences between the 2128i I bought from Verizon and the 2128 (no "i") sold by BestBuy?

What happens if I go into a Verizon store with problems on a phone bought from BestBuy?

Thanks,

Len

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Len,
    I am not surprised by you having better call quality/reception results on your Nokia than on your LG. That's exactly what happened to me. Nokias are superior to LG phones in the reception department, and often in the battery life department as well.
    It is true that you can activate a 2128 from BB on your Verizon post pay account, as long as the phone has not ever been activated on prepay, so when you get it at the store, don't have the clerk activate it for you. If the phone ever breaks and you need to bring it to the store, they should help you just fine, since it's a normal Verizon phone.
    Hope this helps,
    Andy

3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yo Len how are you doing? Well I have the prepay 2128 from Best Buy and yes I did activate it to a month to month contract and it has been working perfectly for me so far. The thing I like the best is the size because I have it in my pocket so it works out just fine. Anyways go there buy the phone dont activate it and then call verizon or go online and activate it that way. One thing to remember is you call dont tell them that you are trying to activate a prepay phone just let them think it is a normal phone.

4. Modemjunkie

Modemjunkie New Member

Thanks Ryan....

I bought the phone at Best Buy tonight and activated it on line with no problems. I swapped the battery with the one in my loaner 2128 (which I bought for $150 from Verizon but will return tomorrow) so I could work with it while the new battery charges. Everything seems fine.

I bought the $10 3 year replacement policy and all seems copasetic.

Meanwhile the Software Version is R21 0v0200.nep 23-08-05 RH 71 (c) NMP.
    Is that the latest? Can it be updated?

Hardware version is 6001

Thanks again,

Len

5. bearntiger

bearntiger New Member

Modemjunkie,

I have the similar experience and I am planning to do the same as you. Does your BestBuy Nokia phone continue to work without issue. The Verizon service rep told me that the prepaid phone will not work for monthly plan, even if it has never been activated. I am worried that Verizon will track the phone's serial number and disable the phone once find out.

Thanks,

6. bearntiger

bearntiger New Member

RyanB & ModemJunkie,

How long have you been using the Nokia 2128 for post paid accounts? Are they working fine?

Thanks ahead,

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hey how are you I have been using mine for about 4 months now and no problems what so ever I couldnt be more happier with it.

8. bearntiger

bearntiger New Member

Thanks RyanB,

I just bought a 2128 from BestBuy and activated it over internet. Everything works great. Thanks again.

9. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I'm in the middle of addressing a battery-draining issue with my 2128. At this point, I am guessing that because of the weak signals it picks up (generally no more than 3 bars out of 7), the weak signals are forcing the phone to drain the battery down to nothing. Last Friday, the battery strength went from 5 bars down to nothing, no calls were made or received that day.

Only if the phone is within line-of-sight of a facility or tower with Verizon equipment on it, will the 2128 display full signal (7 bars).

To say that I am disappointed, would be putting it mildly. Too late to return the phone, so the other option would be to pay the $175 to get out of the agreement. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There has to be something else wrong with the phone or the battery. Take it to the store and have them take a look at it and exchange it if necessary.
    I'm in a weak signal area most of my day and use my phones heavily and the battery doesn't do that.
    3 out of 7 bars isn't necessarily weak signal. A Nokia Verizon phone will not show full signal unless you are within line of sight of a Verizon cellsite. I have seen the phone show 5 out of 7 bars with a signal in -70 range, which is not bad at all.

11. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I took the phone to Verizon on the way home tonight. They tested the phone, and ultimately provided me with a brand new phone (not a refurb).

This computer is in the basement and the backside is in the direction of an apt. building 1 1/4 miles away that has Verizon equipment on its roof. The signal display on the new phone is presently fluctuating between 4 and 6 bars.

When tech support at the store logged my information into the computer, I told him exactly what you (Andy) mentioned above. The only times when the phone will display full signal is if the phone is in line-of-sight of a tower or facility with VZW equipment, otherwise it displays a weak signal.

He didn't say anything regarding that, but the other tech who worked on the old and new phones indicated this was the first 2128 brought in, they have not had any known issues with this model.

Ed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    For the record...

I scrolled through every test in the phone and did not see anything specifically referencing Ec/Io.

At this point, where I travel with it, it is not receiving a strong enough signal from Verizon (in my opinion) and it's becoming a waste of money because I'm paying a premium for it (It IS the most expensive out of the four large carriers.) and I don't believe I'm receiving premium service from Verizon.

There were more than a few times, with the phone displaying 2 bars of signal, that I tried placing a call, only to hear dead air, no ringing. Because I can't see the call detail until the bill posts online, I have no idea whether or not I am being charged for those particular calls.

Verizon isn't working out.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Have you called Verizon's tech support and opened a trouble ticket for the area? Call them, and ask for a trouble ticket to be opened, tell them that you are receiving a weak signal outdoors(even thoug that may be not completely true) and it's even worse indoors. Tell them that you have had dead air numerous times when trying to place a call both outdoors and indoors.