Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

no service to my new home by Sprint

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by lynnielane, Oct 18, 2007.

1. lynnielane

lynnielane New Member

I've just moved to Oceanside from Orange County. Their maps show they cover this area, the tech reps, (when you get through to them) say I should have coverage but I don't.. I've spent countless hours on the phone with their csr's trying to straighten this out. Then I'm transfered to tech. support where they really do try to straighten out the reception but never do. My phone is always roaming, always looking for a signal. When I tried to call out, I received a message "Welcome to Verizon, your call cannot be completed as dialed." But I could call collect?!? I cancelled my contract stating they were no longer providing me with the service that I contracted them to do so and their reply was that it wasn't their fault that I moved. They're billing me $550.00 fior two phones and wireless card. What do I do??? Somebody please help!!!!

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Welcome to WA lynnielane. Did you already cancel your service? If not, there are a few things that you can do.

If you didn't cancel:

First, I would call them, and file a trouble ticket and have a tech. come out to your area and test the coverage. When I had this problem a few years ago, a person came out and noted that wasn't adequate coverage, so I was able to cancel two lines on a FS plan. Please note, however, that when I had this done, it took me 30 days to accomplish this both on the phone for countless hours and for waiting on hearing back from them. Also, I had to have my phones tested at a local Sprint store, because oftentimes, this is the reason why you aren't getting a signal. I also would get Sprint to note the outcome of the test on your account(s) and if they let you out of your contract, I would either have them send an e-mail stating this in writing or getting the name, department, and employee id number of the rep(s) that you talked to so you can document and write this information down for reference.

Second, once you are able to get a tech. to come out and if he notes that there isn't adequate coverage, this will hopefully give you more leverage in being able to get out of your contract for free.

If you already cancelled:

If you already cancelled, and you can no longer use your phones, then I would call Sprint and explain the situation and hopefully get someone to send someone out to your neighborhood. Also, if you already cancelled, and nothing cannot be done, I would just say to get a new provider that has coverage in your neighborhood, and be sure to test them out by using their trial period.

Hopefully someone else will also respond back. Let us know the outcome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So you waited until you were all settled in to your new place before checking to see if your phone would work? Oceanside is famous for tough to cover neighborhoods.

Ok here's the problem as fas as roaming. Sounds like you needed to update your PRL. What phone area you using and how long have you had it? Sprint roams just fine on Verizon in San Diego County and you should not be prompted to call collect or anything like that. Roaming should work just as easy as if you were on Sprint and it should be free if you're on a newer plan. There's an easy fix for that part. You can also set your phone to stay on roaming so it doesn't keep searching.

As to Sprint's own coverage it's hard to predict on the coverage maps as to where you will have indoor coverage in a residential area. It's not an exact science and you can't always go by the coverage maps. This part cannot be fixed no matter what unless Sprint is adding a new tower soon (unlikely) or your phone somehow became defective (it happens). If you give me the address or cross streets I might be able to check on that.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Now Larry remember not everyone is like us and check our phones first thing lol.

5. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Try this:
    Sprint Sets Up Consumerist Reader Executive Customer Service Hotline
    Consumerist Reader Sprint Executive Customer Service Hotline Works

You can also try to email executive customer service. Email the executive-level of the company and copy your email to the FCC, Better Business Bureau, etc.
    How To Launch An Executive Email Carpet Bomb
    Sprint CEO's Phone Number, And 25 Other Sprint Execs' (a starting point for email addresses)

Here's an email written by a T-Mobile customer with a similar problem:
    T-Mobile To Receptionless Customer: "One Bar Is Good Enough To Make Calls"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I think the problem would have been noticed before the move...but that's not the point.

The OP owes Sprint exactly what they say he does. He may be able to call, be polite, and get some sort of reduction in termination fees, but he is not entitled to anything.

All companies, with the exception of T-Mobile (as far as I know), specifically state in th econtracts that they won't be able to guarantee coverage everywhere, even in areas that they provide service. It sucks, but there is little recourse in this instance.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well my thinking is it's not Sprint's (or any other carrier's) fault if you move to a house with no service. If I was looking to move I would only consider a house/apartment where my phone would work, but that's just me. I realize that's not always possible but whenever multiple options are available the one with the best cell service would win out for me. Like Anthromatt said coverage can't be guaranteed everywhere and it's impossible to generate maps that are 100% accurate. The maps are only an estimation that might or might not be accurate.

Anyway it doesn't appear that OP has come back to update so I guess the problem has been taken care of.

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Sprint, just like any other company, lets people out of contract if they live outside a Sprint coverage area. I don't see how this should be a problem...?

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    They do for the most part but you need to know what you are doing.:wink:

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wrong. Sprint offers service in Oceanside, it just so happens they don't work at all in the guy's house. But he lives in a coverage area, so Sprint won't let him out of his contract for nothing. Now if he moved to somewhere that Sprint doesn't cover at all (we'll just say Nome, AK) then yes, Sprint would let him out of the contract.

There is a HUGE difference between not offering service and no available service.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That sucks in this case because Verizon lets people out of their contract if people live in a dead zone in a general area, and I have heard of T-Mobile doing the same. I figured Sprint did the same but I guess I was wrong. :confused:

12. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's not your fault either. You checked the maps. You called Sprint. Maybe you even went to a local store and asked. They should let you out without an ETF, no question about it. If Sprint refuses to do this, then they have no ethics. The coverage maps are not 100% accurate, but the company still needs to stand behind them. The only reason they have to let you out of contract is because the maps are not accurate. If the maps were accurate, and the house in question really did have coverage, there would be no need for this issue to even arise and there would be no need for Sprint to let the customer out of contract. The consumer is definitely not at fault here. If the map shows that you have coverage, but you really do not, then it's not the consumer's fault for not looking and not trying to find out before moving to that location. Plus, you can't control where you move as easily as you make it sound.

Fight them to death, lynnielane!

13. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I would never decide where I was going to live based on cell coverage. If I found a nice house I really liked, but my cell did not work, I would gladly pay the ETF and live where I like over how many bars I get. I think its crazy, but hey, that is probably how a lot of people are.

I agree here. As much as I detest contracts for end user services, and think it is wrong for providers to use a service term as a condition for providing service, it is still a contract. Both parties must follow through with what they agreed to do. You were not forced to move, so they should not take the financial hit for it. The only ones that are able to, and should be able to get out of contracts are those who are forced to because of military service (as per the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, Sec. 203 a.)

This mess is why I think that subsidized equipment and contracts requiring a customer to stay for any length of time both be eliminated from all end user services. This includes television, internet, and especially telephone services.

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Is this a new VZW policy, because they didn't allow this 5 years ago?

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So everyone who moves to a house or building with no/poor service should be let out of their contracts? Maybe Sprint should start adding into the terms of the agreement "Anyone who moves to a new place with little or no coverage will be let out of their contracts". :D Coverage is never guaranteed everywhere and that's always been right in the terms of the contract. The maps are just an estimation and are never going to be completely accurate. Sprint can never tell anyone where their phone will work just by looking at maps and it's foolish to think they could. I think it would be nice if they took it case by case and let some people out of their contracts (and I'm sure they do all the time) but I don't think Sprint has any ethical obligation to do that. :rolleyes:

#15 larry, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  16. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Obviously the maps aren't 100% accurate. I don't expect them to be. That's the very reason why companies should let people out of contract without a fee on a case by case basis. If the maps show you are covered, and you looked at the map, of course you would assume that the phone would work. For the few times when the maps are wrong, that is where the company should let you out of contract. If the maps are wrong so often that this is "impossible" (it's never impossible, ETFs are all crap anyway and I hope the recent government hearings start to change the laws about ETFs), the maps need serious improvement. If your whole business model relies on the maps (having coverage where others don't, etc,.) they need to be pretty accurate.

It simply comes down to this: Do you really expect people to pay for a service that they are not getting and cannot use? No, of course not. I agreed to the contract because both parties benefited. I get telephone service, they get money. If I am no longer getting service, why should they continue to get money? It's not my fault whatsoever if the company doesn't have coverage at my house. End of story.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just because they can't use in one location doesn't mean they can't use it all of the time. It will likely still work in other places such as work, shopping, driving etc.

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Exactly. His phone still works fine, just not where he wants/needs it to. It sucks, and I can empathize (Sprint barely works at my house and I drop tons of calls and lose service here), but Sprint owes him nothing.

If he has tried to get out of the bill (or some of it) by being calm and polite, he might have success. If he gets to yelling at the people from Sprint with whom he is talking, then he won't get very far at all, which is fine by me. Customers should act nice if they expect to be treated in kind.

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I have been sitting on the fence on this one and have been putting my thoughts together on this.

Consumer- Before you moved there I am going to venture to say that you had good enough service to make calls and be happy with Sprint. Then you move into a house and not really thinking about phone service cause all of us who have purchaased a home know there is alot to think about. Well now you have a situation where you dont have service and you feel you must be let out of your contract because it is not worth paying for anymore. You feel cheated and that they show coverage on a map.

Sprint: You are like any other company you will for the most part show coverage even in places that dont have it. You specificaly say on your website and brochures this:
    So you have customers sign a contract saying that they understand this and that they are obliagated under this contract to pay an ETF.

Well personaly, I think sprint is not in the wrong here things are clearly stated and you signed a contract plain and simple. To me people now a days are in to big of a hurry to actually take the time to read what they are signing and that is scary. Now if you are to move to an area like AM saud nome alaska then that is something different they admit to not have service there. Sorry but this is how it see it legally morally it might be wrong but we all have our own definition of moral conduct so what might be right to one person could be wrong to the next.

Please forgive my grammar and spelling.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    "Our coverage maps provide high level estimates of our coverage areas when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science."

This is exactly what I've been saying. It's clearly worded right in the TOS that the maps show only an estimation of OUTDOOR coverage. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about whether or not it works outside the house but it likely will. Ocenaside is for the most part a very well covered area by Sprint. I know it well as I've been there many times and also checked out the tower spacing there.

There will always be people that will feel that the carrier is always wrong and everything should go their way. But that's just not how it works. Of course the average person who uses wireless is not very educated on the technology and how it works and that's also part of the problem.

I guess the OP isn't interested in coming back with a follow up so I'm done with this thread now.

21. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
  22. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I think it will help many area's with the coverage gaps, it seems like a good unit too bad 3 phones is the max at one time, but it's new & it's a start.

The price isn't too bad for unlimited calls from home for an individual it's cheaper then most VoIP companies for the family side I would have liked to seen it for around $25.00 a month additional then I would remove my home phone.

This seems like a better unit then what T-Mobile has since you can have more people on it at 1 time.
    It will be interesting to see how well this works & hear some feedback on it.

23. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    And you don't need to have specific phone hardware like T-Mobile, this unit works with any Sprint handset.

24. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's an even bigger bonus over T-Mobiles system. I wonder if the big 2 will be doing something similar in the future?

25. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    But sadly, if your goal is just to get adequate coverage at home, the price is wrong. It needs to be free (you pay for the hardware, but absolutely no monthly fees of any kind). I already have minutes I don't use, but I would love improved coverage. Why would I want to pay $15 per month for unlimited minutes when I already don't even use half of my plan minutes? Basically, it's like me paying for my own Sprint tower because they refuse to provide adequate coverage.

They should offer two plans: one that is free (just for improving localized coverage) and another one that include unlimited calling for a monthly fee.

26. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Crackberry 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I agree. You make some pretty valid points.

I was giving thought to getting one since the signal at home is pretty bad. But the more I thought about, I came to the same conclusion...I don't want to pay to fill in Sprint's coverage holes. I could save that much money each month and use it to switch to a company with better coverage if it was that important to me to have perfect coverage at home.

27. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Your points are great and quite valid.
    What I would do if I paid for this (which I need at my house to have usable Sprint service), was to disconnect my VOIP line, and get unlimited calling on my cell from home. If you're not going to disconnect your landline/VOIP then this is of no benefit, unless you are for some reason tied to a cellular company that does not provide adequate coverage at your home or no other company provides adequate coverage to your home.