Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NH providers

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kingofgondor, Jul 7, 2004.

1. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

I live in Dover, NH and I currently have service with T-Mobile. I have had major issues with reception (dropped calls, static, etc...), even in the Boston area including going N and S on 95. I go up north alot, like N. Conway, Lincoln, Alton Bay, and Laconia. I also work in Andover, MA. I have been browsing the forums for a few weeks now and it seems like Verizon has the best coverage, but at a price. I need to have a family plan because my wife and I talk alot via cell phone. I need the unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, or at least 1,000/month. I was checking out U.S. Cellular as I keep seeing in the forums that they have good coverage in New England. Does anyone have any experience with AT&T in NH? Nextel seems spotty, as does Cingular. I have visited markson.net, which has been a great deal of help, but I wanted to hear from more people who live in NH. My contract is up in August, so I will be signing on with someone in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. waywith

waywith Junior Member

I personally don't have experience with AT&T, but they are about to be swallowed by Cingular, so that alone would give me pause. Friends have told me that their AT&T service is "OK" but not all that good, particularly up north.

U.S. Cellular is not an option for you, unless you lie about your address. They aren't licensed in Strafford County (where Dover is) and they aren't licensed in Andover MA (where you work). I personally live in Manchester and do have coverage with US Cellular -- have been with them for 7 years. Great service, more reasonably priced than Verizon. They have excellent coverage all over the state (except Strafford and Rockingham counties).

As to Verizon, you will have to get service from them using your business address, since they also are not licensed in Strafford County. They are however licensed in Andover MA. Don't know whether they'll be able to give you a NH phone number in your situation.

Bear in mind that, should you decide to go with Unicel (which is CDMA in Stafford County), you will roam on Verizon most places. In northern and western NH you would roam on US Cellular. So you might be able to get the best of both worlds. I have no idea what their plans are like and whether they require most of your minutes be used in their licensed territory (as US Cellular does). Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

-way

3. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

I am a little worried myself about the Cingular/AT&T merger. I do live in Dover, and I work in Chelmsford while going to law school in Andover. I had Unicel a few years ago, but the area that I was told was part of my "home" area ended up being one big massive roaming bill. :mad: I will have to look into Verizon. It is such a shame that coverage is an issue in NH. People complain about it, but then when it comes time to put in a tower they vote against it or they complain that the tower is too unattractive. I might look into U.S. Cellular? At least someone responded to my post. Thanks.

4. Suliman

Suliman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Katana (2)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Millenicom
    You have two choices - US Cellular or Verizon. AT&T is average at best and probably less so for you based on the locations you listed. You could also consider Sprint as they haev great family plans and elect to pay an extra $5.00 for their Free & Clear America Plan, which will allow you to roam on VZW and USCC when not in a Sprint area. One thing to note is that you are not supposed to roam more than 50% of teh time, but I have not read where anyone has been penalized for doing so.

Suliman

5. waywith

waywith Junior Member

Well, in general, coverage is NOT an issue in NH. It just so happens that Strafford county NH is kind of isolated. It is considered its own market area, and neither Verizon nor US Cellular got in there and acquired spectrum. AT&T and Unicel (originally Star Cellular) got the A & B cellular bands, whereas in most of the rest of NH's cities (Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Laconia), Verizon and US Cellular got the A & B bands.

If you have a friend located outside of Strafford, say, in the lower lakes region, you could use his address as your "home" for billing purposes and go with Verizon. I think I would avoid US Cellular because even on their regional plans they insist that at least 50% of your minutes be used in their licensed territory, which I doubt you would ever manage to do, since both your real home and your work and school are outside their licensed areas. With Verizon, you'd be OK I think, just don't go with a Local plan. When you are ;located inside Strafford Co., you'd roam on Unicel. As long as you were satisfied with Unicels coverage around your home, that would be my recommendation. Verizon is good in almost all of Mass, and in Southern NH. In Northern and Western NH you'd roam on US Cellular's digital service.

For the most part, tower issues haven't come up in most places in NH, thankfully. There were a few exceptions to that, but people seem to realize they have to make SOME compromises if they are going to get decent cell service.

-way

6. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will probably go with Verizon. With t-mobile there is no roaming that I am aware of. With their GSM coverage you either get reception or you don't. I am assuming that roaming with Verizon is not extra or something like that? It is has been awhile since I have had to look into a provider so I am a bit rusty on what "roaming" actually is. I would not go with a local plan anyways because I have family in NY and CT that I would be calling. I will probably use my work address for billing. I just want a phone and provider that does not drop calls and have silly black out areas on major highways, like 95 and 93.

7. waywith

waywith Junior Member

I am not totally familiar with Verizon's plans, but I believe their "National One Rate" would be your best deal. Your phone will show "roaming" at your home, and when you are in Northern NH, roaming on US Cellular, but the calls will be part of the minutes in your plan. "Roaming" just means you are not getting a signal from your "home" system, which in your case would be Verizon.

As to your mention that you call relatives in NY and Conn., so you wouldn't go with a "local" plan, the "Local" refers to where YOU are physically located when making or receiving a call, not where the other end of the call terminates. Many local plans do include nationwide long distance, not sure if that's true of Verizon's -- best to call and ask them. However LOCAL plans in YOUR case would be a mistake, because you would get charged roaming charges when you made calls from your home in Dover. Dover would not be part of any local plan you bought from Verizon. However, it definitely would be covered in a National One Rate plan.

As I said previously, with Verizon you are going to wind up with a phone exchange that is either one based in Mass. (near your work), or perhaps one in the Lakes Region of NH, the closest Verizon territory to your home. Not sure if they'll give you a choice. My advice would be to go into a Verizon corporate store (not an independent dealer) and get hold of a senior person and describe your situation so that they understand what you need.

By the way, a very useful place to check periodically is the Verizon forum on www.howardforums.com. Howard has forums devoted to all the major providers, including both US Cellular and Verizon and there is a lot more activity there than on this board. I haunt both places <g>. The advantage of Howard forums is that many CSR's and Sales folks from Verizon and US Cellular hang out on those boards, along with ordinary cell phone geeks, so you can get official pronouncements as well as real-world user experience.

-way

8. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

Much appreciated advice and link. I would be better served to go with the National One Rate as you mentioned. Time to find a Verizon store.