Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NextWave + Newcomer networks?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ajulius, Jul 22, 2002.

1. ajulius

ajulius New Member

It looks as though there is alot of spectrum that may go back to NextWave if the supreme court rules in its favor. Also, other than the big major carriers, the smaller pcs licensees are also building out. In my metro area, that one would be NorthCoast PCS. In South Florida, that would be Metro PCS which although unrelated companies are both doing the $35 unlimited thing but with no roaming. Is it likely that such smaller companies will work out roaming agreements that are expensive but keep the local prices low and remain independent? Also if NextWave does regain spectrum, it means even more competition for a company with a vast coverage area but then it means that spectrum which was bought at the reauction will be taken away from those purchasers. Im not sure but in the NY metro area, I think AT&T's PCS spectrum which they were depending upon for GSM may be tied up in this with Alaska Native.

If it was me, I would rather NextWave get the spectrum since the new acquirers already have spectrum that can be used with the new GSM 850mhz. But then since NextWave is marketting as a carriers carrier, would the spectrum wind up being resold to the big cellular providers who need to fill in the spectrum gaps, or would it be made up of many MVNO's, ie like Virgin Mobile is to Sprint PCS, but without the company doing their own sales of the service like SprintPCS does.

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I wasn't a big fan of the way that auction (the second one) was put together, the initial auction was designed to give local "mom & pop" operations a chance to get into wireless, and spur competition on the local level. The second auction was designed to get the big bucks from the major players...i.e. make a big company even bigger. I have thought about this for awhile, but just never had the time to work on it when I was in a position to do so. And that is to get the smaller wireless providers to band together and create roaming agreements similar to what the big boy's do. Of course the only problem with this is some of the smaller companies do not allow roaming, and some of your key PCS players who could benefit don't do roaming i.e. Cricket.

Sure your roaming would be spotty, but it would give this group of carriers a position they could barter with to get better roaming rates from the bigger carriers. It's tough to go into a negotiation and say I'll give you three counties in SC and 16 in GA for dirt cheap, now give me your nationwide footprint.

Maybe Wireless Advisor Forums could start a grass roots campaign, first get a list of the smaller players in each market, Second make sure they are using compatible equipment, third get them all to the same table to talk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    1) NextWave actually has sites on air in a few places (Asheville NC and Greenville SC, which are very well built out from what I was able to see, and Atlanta, where they are on air with weak coverage in a few scattered parts of town.

2) I think NextWave's major focus will be on MVNOs and perhaps on roaming for smaller carriers -- given that they are CDMA, they are useless to the carrier that probably needs them the most (Cingular, who has virtually nothing of their own in the Rockies and some other areas), and Verizon and Sprint have so much coverage and spectrum of their own that it's unlikely they "need" NextWave for anything. I also understand that NextWave is putting a lot of emphasis on data...

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You can add Cleveland to the cities with Nextwave, I was driving past Clevleand Hopkins airport and did the *22804 and got connected to sid 5288, didnt last long, drove a few miles and it was gone. Now to see what they do with it.

On a second thought, I think that all of the unilimited providers all use CDMA, different systems dont hold them back from banding together. Or am I wrong about this, are there any unlimited providers that use TDMA or GSM?

5. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There are a few IS-136 carriers that offer unlimited plans in addition to normal plans (namely Price/CellOne in GA/AL/SC/FL, but those will likely vanish once Verizon takes over next month) (but none offer ONLY unlimited service like Cricket/etc.), and IIRC there are one or two very small rural carriers that offer unlimited, local-only GSM service.

-SC

6. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I was traveling to New York last week, and I had a layover in Baltimore, my phone found sid 5288 in the airport, and again after as I was driving on Long Island by I think JFK airport, and got the same sid. I wonder why they are using all the same sids everywhere?

7. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SID 5288 has also been spotted in Asheville, NC and Atlanta... [​IMG]

-SC

8. CDANMA

CDANMA Junior Member

Nextwave has a site in Blacksburg,VA as well....