Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

nextel towers? TDMA??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by G20Ryder, Aug 27, 2002.

1. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

what towers do nextel use? TDMA cingular ones? i thought they had a IDEN network. but here on teh nextel site it says the i90 uses TDMA channel that true??

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Iden is a form of TDMA digital service. I think that this is what they are refering to

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

ohh gotcha. so you think that the nextel serive should be almost identical to my cingular service?

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    iDEN and TDMA are based on time division techniques but they are not compatible with each other. Just like GSM is also a time division based technology.
    If by service you mean phone features, Nextel and Cingular will be similar except that Nextel has the Push-to-talk exclusive to them. If you are talking about compatibility then no, Cingular and Nextel are not compatible. If you are referring to signal strength, then that varies. Nextel has its own cell sites and spectrum separated from everyone else so signal will be about the same or different from that of Cingular depending on where their towers are located.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

i like nextels DC and i like their free incoming plans with unlimited DC........now if i could just snap and their network would be converted to cdma1x and their phones get analog roaming and also increase their phone selection from mostly large bulky motorolas now we'd be talking!!!

6. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

there are no roaming charges at all from nextel

7. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

one more thing. say i have 2 bars of service on my 8260 do you think i should see the same results with the nextel?

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    2 bars...?? Hmm... The quick answer is no. There's really no way to tell how another carrier's signal will be if they are both running different networks. There are too many variables involved. Tower placement, height of the tower, transmission power of the towers, quality of the phone, signal sensibility of the phone, you name it. The only way to be sure is to use a Nextel phone and see how the sgnal is where you need it.