Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel PTT

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Andy, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hey everyone,

I have a question: I had some contractors at my house the other day and they were using Nextel to PTT each other around my house. Service on their phones was good, 2 to 3 out of 4 bars. A lot of times when they pressed the PTT button or whatever they push to talk to each other the phone would just beep at them, and I'd hear the contractor use the f-word because his phone would once again not work. Voice quality also seemed kind of staticy and breaky. When they were using their phones they always had to have the person on the other side repeat what he said because they were breaking up.
    Is this PTT 'problem' capacity related or what?? Does anyone know, AZ maybe?? :)
    Andy

2. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    I know exactly what you are referring to. I have problems sometimes with my PTT when talking to people from my office as I have RSSI readings in the -95 to -100 DB range. Sometimes it sounds great, sometimes it really sucks.

I don't really think it has to do with capacity, but rather the signal strength (which looked to be fine for your contractors there) and also the phone. My Blackberry seems to work great most of the time with PTT, but it also has a very large speaker on the back that works great for speakerphone conversations.

After the first 30-60 seconds of a Direct Connect conversation, I often just get that beep when trying to connect to someone else. It's like the connection resets and you have to reinitiate a conversation, but it never really timed out. It is very strange. I like the Direct COnnect functionality, but I run into problems more times than not when having a conversation that lasts over 30 seconds. Most of the time unless it is just a quick 10 second question, I end up calling the person.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...