Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel Plans & iDEN Network Shutdown

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Steve B, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    What will happen to people with Nextel plans or PowerSource plans when the iDEN network finally gets shut off? Will they be be moved to QChat platform? I know they will require new handsets but will the Nextel plans stay the same?...instead of Nextel Walkie-Talkie on their bill it will show something like QChat or Sprint PTT?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I would imagine Sprint would try to move the remaining iDEN folks over the the CDMA side. Your guess is as good as mine however. It's still a few years off so that should give Sprint enough time to figure out what they are going to do about the PowerSource and and iDEN customers.

3. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The reason why I was asking is because when they shut down iDEN and if I still have the PowerSource phone and the Nextel SERO plan w/ Walkie-Talkie, would they try and get me off that plan and make me sign up with another plan with PTT or would they just have me keep the plan and just buy another handset that will take advantage of the new PTT that will be coming out? I am getting a ic902 so I don't have to carry around two handsets. My work requires me to have a Nextel radio. I hope when the new handsets come out that have the new style PTT on they will automatically add roaming capabilities to the current customers with Nextel SERO plans (because they don't right now w/ the PowerSource phones not having 800MHz radio inside) and I am assuming the new PTT phones will have a 800MHz radio.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    They would most likely put you on the Sprint SERO plan. And just add QChat rather than the mobile-to-mobile feature.

5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    This thread is missing some replies. There was a post by me and a post by Steve that now appear to be gone.:confused:

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well Sprint and Nextel are officially one company on paper and in employees but in technology they are still merging................this wont be like the Cing/AWS merger.................they have already made a universal set of plans that will work on either network with any phone...........so when they switch you from Nextel to Sprint or from PowerSource to Sprint the only way they can take away your SERO plan is by terminating your contract before you extend it.........this would allow you to leave without ETF and lose you as a customer..............this wouldnt be to Sprints advantage seeing as to the delicate situation they are in..............no when the forced migration comes around..........what they will do is remove all the Nextel and PowerSOurce phones from the selection make you select a Sprint phone........extend your contract and your done...........no switching plans needed............like i said this isnt gonna be like the Cingy/AWS merger where you have to pick a new plan............Sprint saw and is still seeing how many Blue customers the current AT&T is losing............

7. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    the NEXTEL name WILL STAY -- Sprint is calling their new QChat service 'NEXTEL'!

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    where is the news site? with this info?

9. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
  10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that is very interesting...............but my understanding of this is that they will keep the name Direct Connect..........and Sprint says a lot in press releases and some things never come true

11. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Maybe a more defined approach with Nextel and it's DC feature will work on making the integration function better.

Since Sprint got hammered by the Nextel merger, calling the new CDMA/iDEN DC "Nextel Direct Connect" might keep Nextel in the minds of consumers of the synergy between it and Sprint, along with reminding everyone that they are a combined company.

Though we, on this site, are fully aware of Sprint/Nextel, you can bet there plenty of people out there who have no idea Sprint and Nextel are one in the same now.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    true dat.......prolli even some of their custs. dont even know..............but yeah so i think its actually a good idea to keep the Direct Connect brand but in a merger like this one COMPANY name has to be picked..............it just makes it look like the merger never finished and the company is disorganized and out of sorts because of a merger...............QChat doesnt sound good anyway...........when you buy an iDEN handset through Motorola directly the Direct Connect service is called MOTOtalk...............i would never want to use a feature called that..............lol

13. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    MOTOtalk is not Direct Connect. MOTOtalk is the two way radio feature for when you're not in an iDEN coverage area. It connects two phones directly without going through the tower.

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    This is where Sprint failed big time. They never made up their minds as to what they wanted Nextel to be.

First Nextel was an equal partner, then a subsidiary, then obsolete...:confused: None of this made any sense and was never really the case. This is what it seemed like (to me) they were doing. Don't even get me started about :censored: Boost.

Sprint is a smart company. Once things settle down, they'll be just fine....Now they've got to do something about their customer service (this is the one thing I don't miss about their service).

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    regardless if whether or not it was called MOTOtalk or fhuddlewhutz...................the point is that some strategic marketing is needed to make it look like Nextel is still there even if it's only a ghost...................they took Nextels site designs and billing system and now they are using the feature names because of their marketing popularity...............as Mobile Mike said.............Sprint is a smart company and they will pull themselves out on this mess and get back on their feet again..........then WiMax here we come............

and dont get me started on Boost either :censored:

16. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'm guessing this is the DirectTalk feature that is available on some higher end Nextel phones (i870, i880, ic902)???

17. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Correct, but to compare product lines and marketing schemes we need to make sure we're all talking about the same product/feature. So calling it by the correct name helps in making sure other's aren't confused.

Yes, though it doesn't go very far. I can't say I was really impressed by it.

18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint is basically just saying that the service that is being called QChat by us is gonna be marketed as Direct Connect as if it is the same service......................and yeah the DirectTalk feature was kinda short ranged but thats something you have to work with....no network and all