Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

nextel or verizon

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jtao, Jan 21, 2002.

1. jtao

jtao New Member

im havin trouble deciding which plan to go for...i need a phone so i dont have to use my apt phone that much anymore and my current phone plan (voicestream) doesnt really get service in my apt..

i know verizon gets service in my apt, but i havent tried nextel yet...but some of my friends have nextel, so the direct connect would be cool, but from what i hear verizon you get great coverage and nextel is ok coverage...

i plan on getting...verizon - LG510 or the nextel i90.

but in general, which phone company would be good in the tri-state area based on reception and service...

thanks

2. jtao

jtao New Member

oh, one more thing, i would either get the verizon regional east 550 ($55 for 550 daytime and 3500 nights/weekends) or nextel performance enhanced 500 ($59.95 for 600 day, unlim nights/weekends and unlim direct connect)...

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Sounds like you've done your homework.

Verizon has a 15-day trial period. I don't know if Nextel does. If you can't find a friend that will/can lend you a phone long enough to test in your apartment, go for Verizon first and try them for the trial period. If all goes well, then you've got a solution. If not, try Nextel.

Also, consider this: Going Totally Wireless

4. jtao

jtao New Member

thanks kevinjames,

haha, ya, ive been readin up on this...

i would rahter not sign up for a 15 day trial period, too much hassle...which do more prefer though, based on reception, quality and service plans?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jtao, I'm in the same boat...which service to get? However, I've read here that Nextel is primarily aimed at the business field. Anyway, I'm in the mountains of NE PA where people I've spoken to have either ATT or Verizon. Both types evidently do well here. My daughter is in Utica NY and calls me on her cell phone...sounds like she's next door...Verizon. She also calls from the middle of some lake up there and the reception is just as good. My #2 son is in Rochester NY...Verizon...great reception. My #1 son is in Nevada. I THINK he has Verizon...same thing...which leads me to think maybe Verizon is building up faster than the others which means better transmitting/receiving all along.

6. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Nextel is great in the Tri-State area. I would prefer Nextel over Verizon
    For NE PA I would definatly suggest Verizon. Verizon seems to be the only one to have a good clear signal there.

7. jtao

jtao New Member

thanks everyone for the info...ya, it seems like 1/2 lean to verizon and the other to nextel...haha, im stuck! it really is hard to choose, so if you got more info, i'd appreciate it if you can post it...thanks

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd choose Verizon over Nextel myself, Nextel is mostly focused on businees user's and there monthly rates are a little higher. Also you don't have to sign up for a 15 day trial period with Verizon Wireless its just part of your contract, You get 15 days to try out the phone and if you don't like it or the service you can cancel and get your money refunded back and out of the contract. Pretty good if you ask me I don't know if Nextel has any sort of trial period like that or not.

9. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Nextel can be a great choice as you said for the Business individuals but also for personal use as well. They have a Nationwide plan for $69.99, offering 500 minutes but that's rounded up by the second and not minute, plus free-incoming calls. For the Business individuals who have their cellphone # on their business cards and such, then this can be a very cost-effective plan since incoming calls are free.

10. Jackstar

Jackstar Junior Member

I would look at jdpower.com and epinions.com to see which companies have the better service. I live in Denver, but it seems like users in much of the Northeast prefer Verizon (especially in Hoya land!). One of the sites may give the nod to Sprint, but overall, their customer service seems bad nationally and their network seems to not have the capability to handle the traffic. I just went with Verizon. My Motorola 120c works better than the Nokia 3285 I started with. Plus, phone customer service and email customer service seem to be fast and helpful. -Jackstar

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Has anybody else noticed that JD Powers site won't load lately? I have been trying for 2 or 3 days to pull up the site now and all I get is that the page cannot be displayed grrr.

12. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

It is loading for me...TNDan, maybe it is a problem with your connection. Are you on dialup or broadband? It could be a problem with your service provider, run a tracert to the site and see where it dies.
    In MSDOS prompt type : tracert www.jdpower.com It will show you the route it takes to get there.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Dialup Dobby, and I tried what you said, it ran something 30 times I guess you can call it "hoops" and it did fine until around 15, the 16th one timed out. Then it did ok till 19 and 20-30 all timed out and the box closed after hitting 30. I don't know what is wrong but I can't get it to load right, every other site works fine for me though I just can't get to JD Powers Website.

14. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Finally! I managed to get to JD Powers site this morning for some strange reason I can't access it using IE though I can only seem to access it using my build in browser via my ISP though but hey at least it works now.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

16. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have also had certain sites that occasionally won't load properly from my computer using IE or netscape. I thought it was the sites but others have said they can get thru fine from their computers. I guess I need a faster computer with Windows XP or something.

17. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Well, I have a P2 running at 455MHz that locked up on me just trying to launch Windows Explorer (Me). I was on the phone trying to retrieve a file for a friend. I just about set my fazer to "kill" and pointed it the CPU. (I settled for a reboot.)

18. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have a 266 MHZ which came with Windows 95. I later upgraded to 98 and then ME. Since the ME upgrade it seems like my problems started.

19. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Fight club Verizon Wireless vs Nextel .... Verizon Wireless by far the better service offering Mobile to Mobile 1000 mins- Nextel the 2 way feature can only be used with other people on the same account. And you only get a 500 mins on a good month. So unless you open two lines of service. Plus the coverage between the two--- Verizon Wireless will always take out Nextel and any other carrier, Direct for Verizon Wireless-15 days. Indirect 30 days. Nextel same serniro. I have had both and now my Nextel phone is at the bottom ol Lake Erie [​IMG]

20. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    (Cringe) Well, here I am about to come to the defense of Nextel. Will wonders never cease?

It is now possible to "direct connect" beyond your account. So just like sharing your ICQ or Yahoo buddy account, you can share certain info that allows you to direct-connect with any other Nextel subscriber.

This is "just the facts, mam." I am not saying I feel Nextel is the best choice for the individual consumer. Some feel it is, some don't.

21. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Nextel has a 30 day money back guaruntee, you get everything back including your deposit. Also Nextel offers free incoming which is an amazing deal for many people. Also you can add nights and weekends to your account for $10 more.

However Verizon has some nice phones that are smaller, have better battery life. Verizon also will have better customer support (response time-wise) but, they don't have any free weekends or anything.

22. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I checked out Nextel and felt it was too expensive for my needs....Verizon had the best deal.

Barbara Behan

23. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    thats because nextel is targeted toward business customers.

also remember that most companys if you make a call for (1min 13sec) you will get billed for 2
    with nextel you get billed for (1min 13sec)

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

Im not a business person or owner and only use the phone for emergencies and an occasional long distance call, so I really don't care about the extra minute stuff. I just need the cell phone. I don't stay on long anyway. I'm not one of these ignorant drivers who chat away on cell phones while not watching where they are driving , driving like maniacs or driving so slow they hold up traffic. I hope they pass a national law forbidding the use of cell phones while behind the wheel of a car. People are idiots when they are on cell phones while driving.

25. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    It sounds like you just want to vent.....SweetboXx, now I know your in Jersey. lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  26. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

27. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    OK, how old are we now........[​IMG] Let's try to be a little mature about this, I meant is as a joke.

28. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

sorry [​IMG] it just seems that this is a forum where every one was venting about their cell phone service

29. none1

none1 New Member

i live about 20 miles north of New York City and have been using Verizon for the past 5 years. I just upgraded my contract yesterday and got the Motorola v60. If you choose Verizon, I would suggest you to get the V60 also. It's a great phone!!!

30. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

So you are criticizing me because I am a New Jersian? Come now......now that is really childish[​IMG]