Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel for a minor?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by dent, Jul 20, 2002.

1. dent

dent New Member

I am under 18. How can I get Nextel... Without my parents having to sign for me. Is there some way I can like scam Nextel? I do have a debit card? If i cant do this what do my parents need to do to get me a Nextel under my name?

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Nextel has one of the highest credit standards of any provider. You can't get any wireless service unless your parents sign for since you are 17.

You can however get pre-paid on your own. What City/State are you in?

3. dent

dent New Member

No no... I have a cell phone. Shared plan with my parents. But I wantttt nextel. Like everyone around me has it . And the 2-way feature is awsome. The i90c is the best phone. And i dont beleive Nextel has prepaid. Plus I once had verizon prepaid. It is crap. Waste of money.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The only thing I can think of that might work is have your parents sign you up for Nextel service and see if they can add you as a "authorized user" of the account so you can pay the bill, change the rate plan, and etc...

Some companies let you do this and usually you have full access to the account as a authorized user the only thing you can't do is cancel the account I think. Talk to your parents and talk to Nextel about it see what they can do for you.

5. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

You wil reget getting Nextel! Their service SUCKS!!!! and so does their CS. Get SPCS. they will be introducing 2-way service next year.

6. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    I don;t regret getting Nextel. unlike Sprint and Voicescream i get excellant coverage in my area!

7. dent

dent New Member

Nextel's service doesn't suck around where I live. Sprint PCS and Verizons 2 way service probably wont be as good as Nextels.

8. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

most likely the first offerings of sprint and verizon PTT will not be as good as nextels.....probably with a delay in the connection.....however by the 2nd generation of PTT for those carriers it should be on par.

also from what i hear either sprint and/or verizon's PTT will be a national one.....not just a regional one.

if nextel didnt buy the rights to qualcomms q-chat for cdma1x and just let it sit to waste without using it.....sprint would have had PTT by now. instead we still have good ol nextel screwing around with the public safety radio frequencies.

9. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Please don't turn into another "Aiwapro" .....
    Yes, most of this is true..but, Business is business..as they say. Nextel will be launching their nationwide Direct Connect VERY VERY soon!!! I can't say when, I might get in trouble[​IMG] This will blow everything and anything away...!!!! By the time other companies get some kind of PTT service Nextel will have already taken most of their customers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

dent, You may be able to get Nextel without getting your parents into it. Since you do have a debit card you have some sort of credit. The thing is you will probably have to pay a hefty fee to nextel that you will get back after a while. Your best bet is to go to a dealer and have them run your info through the machine.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From what I understand you can't sign a contract until you are 18. As he stated he is under 18.

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

rich i know every company has its share of negative activities going on.....but doesnt it piss you off about how nextel is messing with the public safety radio frequencies? after doing some research into it after hearing about it it ticked me off quite a bit.

i enjoy having firemen and paremedics and police not having to worry about their radios encountering situations where they would work save for interference.

13. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Absolutely, I too have been following the situation and have found it to be quite perplexing. In one hand you have a company who is just trying to do business, as I'm sure they are not purposely trying to wreak havoc with the public safety radio frequencies. And in the other, you have the men and women who try to keep us safe...but can't, do to these problems. So how do we fix it???? Who let this happen???? Where was the FCC or some other government division when Nextel was allowed purchase this bandwidth??? So many questions unanswered.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Well thank you for acknowledging that Nextel is a threat to those of us who would give our lives to protect YOU. The answer is simple: Nextel needs to move off 800MHz or start doing some serious re-engineering of their sites. They did not start causing us 800 co-channel interference until their network buildout took serious headway in 1999- present. Southern LINC uses the same iDEN technology on the same band and doesn't cause the same problems as Nextel. They simply don't want to spend the millions it will take to add notch filters or cavities on every single channel at every site. It would take thousands of man hours and lots of time and resources to do this:

But so would re-tuning every friggin 800MHz trunked radio system used by public safety around the country. This would further put lives at risk, not to mention it being a logistical nightmare- Police/Fire/EMS work 24/7 365- how do you start such work without further compromising services to citizens? And who is gonna pay for it? The taxpayer (what do you think) and how much do you think it will cost (estimates from APCO are already into the BILLIONS- with a B that is)?

None of these problems exsisted before Nextel started blasting extremely high ERP from their sites which were hastily erected to meet investor's deadlines. No one mentioned or cared about the possible effects on nearby users who are literally getting stepped-on. As far as who is at fault is a mixed bag: the FCC in the Clinton administration made many strange moves, and is it not interesting that former FCC Chairman Kennard is now employed by Nextel? Whatever the case, it is clear that those of us public safety users have been on 800 long before Nextel, we have caused no one interference, and are here to provide vital life safety services to you, the citizen. Especially now with an emphasis on homeland security- public safety infrastructure cannot be compromised by anyone- intentionally or inadvertently.

Nextel should move off 800...their problem not ours, not the taxpayer's and not their end user's either.

Another interesting footnote: Under Nextel's "White Paper", a large number of industrial and private systems that exsist in the 800 band would have to vacate 800 at THEIR OWN EXPENSE. Who are some of these users? Federal Express is a major one; they have nationwide tracking and inventory system that uses frequencies in this band. So does Boeing avation, and others. FedEx, for example, says it will cost almost 200 million dollars to replace their system, and that does not account for lost revenue when such system would be offline- imagine Fedex not being able to track shipments for a week...how much would that cost all of us?

Come on, Rich, I know you are pro-Nextel. I was a Nextel subscriber once too- I have nothing against the company or it's technology- but they have a responsibility as a corporate citizen of this nation to step up to the plate, accept responsibility, and solve the problem- at their own cost.

15. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

As being on the volunteer fire and first aid squad, I have a few comments. First off, I don't think it is really Nextels fault, I think it may be the product. My department uses Motorlas Pagers. I have a Minitor III which was just discontinued because of many problems. Many of the other members have a Minitor II. Minitor IIs use a Crystal bassed proccess and Minitor IIIs use a Computer based one. There are two spots in town that will make my Minitor III go haywire while the Minitor IIs are fine. One of these spots is by the Nextel tower. Another spot is by the Verizon Central Office. This is caused by a switching system in verizon. My town is split into two departments, The other department is inbetween the two problem areas, and you will not hear anything with a Minitor III while you will with virtually every other pager. This is why the other department does not use Minitors.

Keep this in mind. Motorola invented iDen which is what Nextel runs on. Maybe they are making their products to similar with the same parts which cause this interference.

There are also a few other things that will set it off, like if I am in the post office, it gets set off because of the postage machines.

16. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Some of the issues with Public Safety radios is also of course cost, and the good O'le boy network. When I was with a Police Department in VA (surprise) our department was assigned three frequencies, channel 1 was used for dispatch, channel 2 was used for private transimissions (encoded) and channel 3 was used for personal conversation between the officers. Channel 2 and 3 were up and down more than a See-Saw, after the old chief resigned the new chief got a new RF Tech to work on the system, turns out that the old tech (the chiefs buddy) didn't know what he was doing, and caused many of the problems himself, (although he owned a Motorola Shop.) Sure it took some money to fix up the network but it was worth it.

I hope as part of the New Homeland security plans someone includes help for smaller departments and interdeparment communications it is greatly needed. And if Nextel is causing interference they need to clean it up.

17. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

iDEN is not the cause of the interference alone, as pointed out, Southern LINC uses the same hardware and system, and has yet to cause the problems that Nextel. Read the APCO papers and you will see that the Nextel problem is mainly due to the placement of their base stations which run extremely high power, their antenna patterns are aimed at a very low angle of radiation, thus overloading a portable or mobile 800 radio. Remember that public safety radio systems are designed with budgets in mind, so we place our repeater/bases at strategically high locations to cover a political jurisdiction. In some areas within that jurisdiction, the signal from the repeater/system may be pretty weak in comparison to a commercial provider, who is trying to offer seamless coverage inside eveyr nook and cranny, so they place many more sites than our systems do, with antenna radiation patterns very close to the ground, so they blanket an area with a strong signal. Then you add the fact that Nextel's frequencies are often adjacent (sometimes only 25KHZ away) from public safety- then you add the noisy by-products of TDMA modulated over QUAM. The end result is a robust signal that overloads the reciever in our radios, making impossible for the radio to hear our repeater systems. With trunking radios, as most 800MHz public safety radios are, when the radio cannot hear the control channel, it simply won't be capable of transmitting or hearing, as it cannot hear instructions on which channel to go to for calls- a very dangerous situation.

Why does SL not interfere? Because their system was built similar to how most public safety radio systems are, with their base stations on high locations and their antenna's pointed higher up out towards the horizon. The idea is to provide best overall coverage for the buck, and since their base stations are usually far enough away from our user's radios, interference does not occur. So therefore, iDEN is not strictly to blame nor Motorola. And other radio systems suffer Nextel interference that are non-Motorola, for example, Kansas City's Ericsson/GE EDACS 800 system where Nextel interference makes portable radios almost useless in some areas. Chester County, PA has had a long troubled EF Johnson Mult-Net statewide trunked system that has had a number of problems with Nextel caused interference, but they asked for it when they placed one of their prime sites on a Nextel owned tower! Albuquerque, NM recently replaced their VHF conventional system with a P25 compliant Ericsson/GE digital 800 system and at a recent APCO conference the system managers identified Nextel as causing some dead spots, mainly when users were within proximity to a Nextel base station. So, as you can see, any 800MHz radio is susceptible to Nextel's interference. They need to stop it- point blank, before someone gets killed.

Oh and as abench tech trained on Motorola portables (Jedi, Gensies and most recently Waris series portables) I agree with you the MIII is absolute garbage- while we don't use pagers on our system, the MII is a great piece of gear- the MIII has a reciever so widebanded and a preselector from hell. It is also built like cheap FRS radios- usually falls apart after a month.
    Complete trash. So are some of the new Waris portables like the HT/CDM series- I think Moto is cheaping out but with their multi-million dollar losses of recent I can understand. Fire 1/3 of your work force and cut production costs to increase net profit. Makes sense doesn't it?

18. dent

dent New Member

Any other suggestions for getting Nextel when I am only 16. WITHOUT my parents having to sign for me? If i sign up on Nextel.com and i put my information in for the credit check.. If I am not approved I will know right away, and they wont send me the phone I order or charge my card. Correct? Plus if there was a WAY I COULD get a Nextel, how do I know they would not catch me because I am under 18? [​IMG] Thanks

19. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    dent,
    forget about it. If you're under 18, you're not gonna get service without having a parent on the account as well. Nextel is very picky with their credit checks so even if you had credit you wouldn't get it. If you're that gung ho on wanting nextel, there's no other way than to have a parent get it for you. On a side note, why do you want nextel so badly? If you've already got a phone then unless you need direct connect it seems wasteful.

20. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    dent right on nextel site it said that you have to be 18. Stay with what you have or have your parents get you the nextel

Jack

21. dent

dent New Member

First off Nextel OWNS. The i90c is awsome. The best phone. Verizon is good. All my friends have 2 way and its a cool feature. Just have to wait for Verizons PTT. anyway have any information on that?

22. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nope Sorry

Jack

23. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Perhaps I'm just really out of touch with the slang of kids these days, but what exactly does "owns" mean the way you used it? I'm only 21 and I feel old [​IMG]

24. markv83

markv83 Member

I think by the way he used the word "Owns" he means "rules' or "is the best"
    Mark