Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel 'direct connect' feature.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Bird, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Bird

Bird New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Here's a question for the Nextel experts out there.
    Suppose I sign up for a Nextel plan as an individual. Who would I 'direct connect' with when I hit that button? I understand how it works for a group of co-workers.

Can the phone be configured to 'direct connect' with whoever I want on Nextel?

Just curious.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I'm surprised the "experts" haven't answered. The answer is: You can selectively add a code related any other Nextel phone so that they are part of your direct connect group. I have a friend that loves Nextel, so much that he bought a private account for his wife and then added her phone to his Nextel business phone so he can direct connect with her phone or any of his workers in the field.

I don't know the particulars, but I supposed in some distant analogy, its like addings "buddies" to your instant messaging on your computer.

3. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

It really depends on the Market you are in, I live in the west area for Wireless Carriers and where I live Nextel disable the calling to other codes to have "free" direct connect. But after a little while I got billed for using other group distributions trunks so it is possible but read the fine print first to see if you really can in your market..

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Firstly, I don't use Nextel.

But if anybody direct connected to me ("beep .. How you doing dude! ... beep") without my permission, I'd file suit against Nextel and the individual concerned for a bunch of money.

With normal cellular, the phone at least rings or vibrates and I can see who's calling if caller id is working.. With direct connect, I don't have such an option..... And if Nextel made me a part of someone else's group......

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi anonymous,

That would never happen. You have to give someone the code in order for them to direct connect with your phone.

As far as filing suit, you'd loose.

6. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

They could enter a code incorrectly and maybe they would get you as it has happened to my friend. But they just say sorry they entered the wrong code and walkie again.

7. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hi Everyone, as you know from my post's I'm a Nextel user..a very happy, Nextel user. [​IMG] I've used my phone all over the U.S, Canada and Italy and hopefully Mexico this summer. In response to the "Anonymous" poster on 01/28/02...Anytime someone calls me or "two ways"me it will show up on my caller I.D, regardless if I have their "Private I.D" number or not. As far as being made part of a group..you know longer have to do that, and if I'm in a meeting I can just turn the speaker off and put it on vibrate...!! it's that simple. Why do people make thing's sound so complicated...?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Rich,

Great to have your first-hand experience in this regards. I was going just off what I understood from my friend that has both a business and personal account. What I wrote is what I understood him to say and demo to me.

I apologize to anyone whom I may have misinformed.

Kevin