Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel currently. Looking for change recommendations

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by SugaNSpice, Apr 19, 2002.

1. SugaNSpice

SugaNSpice New Member

Help! Please!

OK - where to start. Right now I have nextel. I am paying too much money I haven't switched from them just for the sole reason of dealing with the hassle of starting a new plan with a new number, and a new contract. Now, I want to get the i90 - only cause its the smallest phone i can get with Nextel. I hate large and heavy phones which is all nextel seems to offer. But, its soooooo expensive!

I have come to the point where I am considering changing carriers. I average about 1500-2000 minutes a month, about 2/3 are off peak. So basically I am looking for the perfect plan (if it exists) - I want the most minutes for the least money. I would like to have internet access. And of course the usuals, like caller id, call waiting, voice mail, etc. Now I'm sure I am being ____, but I am looking for a plan in which I can get a small, flip phone for relatively cheap. I really don't want to spend more than 40/50 a month (right now with a 60 dollar plan after taxes and fees my bill is 80 and i just can't afford that).

Most of my calls are to the 845-914-212-917 area codes. But I do get alot of incoming calls from other states (I often call them too but not as much, but included long distance would definitely be nice). What would be perfect is unlimited nights and weekends cause these out of state calls are usually off peak, and at almost every day for an hour or so. Does any carrier even have that anymore?

Now I have talked to a number of people having different carriers, and no one is happy with their own, but always ends up suggesting one that another friend has and is unhappy with...So I don't know who to go with. I travel, so I don't want to deal with roaming. Is there "the perfect" plan out there for relatively cheap? Or should I just deal and stay with nextel with free incoming, no LD, and no roaming.... Good coverage is definitely an issue....

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon might be a good provider for you.

With the America's Choice plan you can get good national coverage with all the long distance included, caller id, all that stuff included...They have varying minutes on their plan, but you'll probably want something around the 550 anytime minutes and 3000 Night and Weekend ($55)...they have plans with more minutes also.

As far as a small style flip phone...I would probalby look at the LG TM510. There's also the Motoroal V60c, but this one is a lot more expensive. The Samsung T300 is also good (not folder type phone, but has a flip covering the key pad)...And it's price is about in the middle of the two.

Take a look at their website VerizonWireless.com to get a better idea of what phones and plans they offer in your area.

3. SugaNSpice

SugaNSpice New Member

How is Verizon's service though? I have friends that praise it and friends that hate it....

Also, what seems to be the general consensus on carriers like VoiceStream and cingular...

4. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I peronally think Verizon's service is great. You are always going to find one person who loves a provider and another who hates it. There really is no clear cut winner....Everywhere that I've travelled recently (thoughout the midwest, florida, east coast...a few other places) I've always had good signals and not roaming on the AC plan.

VoiceStream is a GSM carrier. They do not have near the coverage that Verizon has, or any other provider really.

If you do travelling, I wouldn't recommend VoiceStream.

I had Cingular for awhile. They weren't too bad. They have nationwide plans with no roaming (not sure what their current pricing on those is)....They are split between two different technologies right now. Some areas of the country they use TDMA and others GSM. New York would be TDMA I believe.

My problems with Cingular: Experienced more frequently dropped calls, call quality not very good, wireless internet service very spotty and not well organized.

5. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    SugarNspice; if your happy with your service;How about this plan. Nextel National connect 500 anytime min. ,100 direct connect min 4400 nights and weekends free long distance and no roaming fees for $ 49.99add $1.00 for caller i.d. and voice mail or check their website at www.nextel.com . If you need unlimited nights and weekends call them at 1-800 639-6111 they will work with you. I just purchased the i-90c a month ago its a great phone.Nextel will be coming out with the i-95cl this summer, if you want to see it go to www.phonescoop.com hope I helped. Tompug

6. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's not going to help her with the "clunky" phone problem with Nextel's Motorola's.

I like some of Nexte's phones, but they are big and heavy. That new i95cl looks cool, but it weighs almost 6 oz.!! By today's standards...that's a damn heavy phone!

7. SugaNSpice

SugaNSpice New Member

Tompug,

I am happy with the service for the most part. I rarely get dropped calls - I usually have a strong signal pretty much where ever I go, and honestly I have been spoiled by the free incoming minutes. The thing with Nextel is its so expensive! And the cost of the equipment being so darn expensive! It just kills me to spend that much money on a phone! I know I am being picky when I say if I stay with Nextel I will only get the i90, but honestly i hate cumbersome phones, and if they are too large/heavy, they are just plain uncomfortable to use. **On a side note I just checked that i95 and that is sweet! I would love a silver phone! Any idea on the proposed cost for that phone?**

Now as far as Direct Connect Minutes go, I can live without this service. I wouldn't use it at all if my friends would actually dial a phone instead of push a button... Its because my friends are that lazy that I usually end of going over 100 DC minutes (if they contact me that way I have no choice to use the two way with them cause I am only getting 200 min outgoing so why waste my minutes...) And I find it annoying most of the time. So part of me just feels like there really is no need for me to have Nextel, and that I can save with someone else....

I'm sure I'm being difficult, but I want to make the right choice...

8. SugaNSpice

SugaNSpice New Member

Wow - didn't even notice the weight of the i95... the i90 is 4.8 oz...I have friends who have that phone, and i played around with it and definitely like it the most out of all nextel phones, but....

9. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    SugaNspice. no price yet on the i-95cl. if nextel could give you a less expensive plan and the minutes you needed would you stay with them? if so call them .they doubled my anytime minutes and gave me unlimited nights and weekends. Verizon like Malial said is a very good service provider I,ve been with them since they were bell atlantic ,My only gripe( and this is just my opinion) with them is i dont like their new plans ther too expensive ,the local plan s dont offer much more minutes than the americas choice plans plus theres no free long distance .they did away with the single rate east plans and the americas choice plans heres an example 400 anytime min. 4000 nights and weekends for $ 45.00 a month With nextel i get 600 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends.thats why i don consider nextel expensive .all i can say is ask around and see what other providers work well in your area . get to know the price plans and call their customer service depts and tell ell them what the other companies are offering ,if they want your buisness the will work with you ..let us know how you make out. Tompug

10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Cingular Nation 500 plan might be good for you. For $49.99 a month you get 500 anytime minutes and 3,500 night and weekend minutes. There is no long distance charges or roaming charges, Caller ID, 3 Way Calling, Call Waiting, Basic Voicemail, and Detailed billing are included on this plan too. Right now Cingular has a promo to where you get Free Wireless Internet too, however it does chew up your minutes but the service itself doesn't cost any extra right now.

http://www.cingular.com

Cingular Wireless

11. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hello everyone, maybe I can shed some light on this situation....
    SugaNspice, first.. you need to ask yourself, what percentage of calls are incoming..?? Secondly, if you want Internet access you should stay with Nextel, because they don't deduct from your monthly allotment of minutes when you use your wireless web.. Everyone else does. Personally, my favorite feature is the "One-Second Rounding," believe it or not but, this can cut your minutes in half..depending on how much you talk.

My suggestion it to go to a Nextel (Corporate owned) store, They might be able to better assist you. I think, I will cost you more to switch ... then to say with Nextel and buy a new phone.

If your concerned about the phone price, The National Phone Upgrade Program gives existing Nextel customers the same purchase terms as new customers on certain models when they return their existing phone to Nextel in good working condition.

Upgrade Program Options:

Option 1 - Purchase a new phone at the "no commitment" price without meeting any of the program guidelines.
    Option 2 - Eligible to purchase a new phone at the Regular Retail Price when you return a working phone.
    Option 3 - Eligible to purchase a new phone at the Regular Retail Price when a new customer activates their account with your current working phone.
    Option 4 - Eligible to purchase a new phone at the Regular Retail Price when you sign a one-year Service Agreement.
    Option 5 - Eligible to purchase a new phone at the National Promotion Price ($50 off Regular Retail Price) when you return a working phone AND sign a one-year Service Agreement.
    Option 6 - Eligible to purchase at the National Promotion Price ($50 off Regular Retail Price) when a new customer activates your current phone AND signs a one-year Service Agreement.

More detalies on
    Nextel online

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Malial,

Is the I95c out yet and if so how is it different than the i90c. I just purchased the i90c - had to wait forever to get it and now it sounds like a new model is out. I also think Nextel is expensive, but they do work with you on making your plan better and their coverage is very good.

13. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The i95cl is not out yet. I'm not sure what the actual release date is.

It's based on the i90c, but adds a color screen, polyphonic downloadable ringers, JAVA...

Here's a link that shows more about it.

14. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Hey Suga, I live in the 845 area code and love Nextel. The i90 is a great phone, not too small, not too big. Stay with Nextel their internet can't be beat. If you like the plan your on, just call Nextel and tell them you are going to cancel they will possibly cut your bill by 20$ or give you bonus minutes, thats what they did for me. If customer service rep does not do this for you just call back customer service until you get a rep that will do this for you.

15. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

SugaNSpice, Where are you at that you will be using this phone? Will you be traveling with the phone alot? Do you use your phone alot at night? How much do you use your Wireless Internet (about how many phone pages per day if you know) or just how much in general if you don't know?

Hey Rich, you know Nextel is not the only company not to take away minutes for you wireless internet don't you. Yeah you guessed it. Voicestream does per MB usage and their Wireless Internet is faster than Nextel's Wireless Internet. Does 56k sound ok?

16. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

according to cnet.com WIRELESS

the nextel i95cl is coming out summer 2002.

17. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    OK, so this is going to turn into a "who's better than who" thread.....
    Aiwapro, please..PLEASE stop acting like a salesman..!!! We don't need another salesman in this forum. Every time someone asks a question about something, all you do is preach Voicestream..Voicestream,VOICESTREAM..it's getting a little old, and annoying.

You might want to check your facts too, Nextel's wireless web is just as fast as Voicestream's and Nextel's network is based off GSM, yes I said GSM...!! You can quote me on that one too....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. aiwapro

I'm not trying to be a salesman. Before I reccomend this person to Voicestream or any other provider, I'm just checking to see where the person is, what the person really wants, and what feautures they use the most. This will narrow down the providers when he/she answers these questions. For example, if he/she uses alot of minutes at night, then obviously Voicestream may not be good for he/she, since they don't give extra night minutes.

Based of GSM, hmmm, I have never heard anyone say anything about that, but I'm sure you may be right though. Close to GSM, but it's not GSM.

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Rich,

I promise not to be a VS slaesman, but [​IMG]

What are Nextel's wireless internet speeds currently? I can't imagine they are as fast as GRPS (40-56kbps). I thought Nextel just recently announced that they were going to overlay cdma2000 1X, but AFAIK they had not done that anywhere yet. I don't follow them too closely, so I'm asking for some clarification.

I also thought Nextel was a closer relative to TDMA rather than GSM. But I do know they offer an iden/GSM phone for world travelers....

20. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    From what I have been told nextels iden is a form of gsm and tdma combined

Jack

21. Guest

Guest Guest

What good is Voicestream's 56k if there's limited coverage? Voicestream should improve their coverage first before concentrating on speed that can't be used say in 95% of Virginia.

22. aiwapro

Well alot of providers just brought service to Virginia. Just because Voicestream doesn't cover a few states, you can't call their whole Nationwide coverage LIMITED.

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << What good is Voicestream's 56k if there's limited coverage? Voicestream should improve their coverage first before concentrating on speed that can't be used say in 95% of Virginia. >>

You're exactly right. Richmond (at least part I'm not familiar with the area) is now available for roamers as of last week. Someone is going to Charlottesville tomorrow on business, and will report his findings. Haven't seen anyone with a GSM phone go to the Tidewater recently, so we're not sure if those towers are being turn on yet though.

link

24. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    rich there is one other provider that does not take out of the package minutes for internet access that would be at&t wireless

Jack