Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nextel = CDMA + QCHAT + 802.20 = $$$

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by DandyDon, Mar 23, 2004.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Nextel = CDMA + 802.20 = $$$

The last week or so Nextel has pretty much laid out their plans for the future, if you put all the piecs together. Considering the current network infastructure, the aggressive build out plans (2200 sites this year instead of 800), there is good reason to believe Nextel will blow up with hi-speed data offerings on the cheap (Goal of $20 per 1GB) combined with a CDMA Wireless network using QCHAT and phasing iDEN out.

The only wildcard is the FCC financial hit for the Consensus Plan and VZW is pushing for a $7.2B right hook. These are my opinions and these are some recent headlines;

Nextel tests Qualcomm push-to-talk technology
    ATLANTA (Reuters) — Nextel Communications said Monday it was testing new phones with "walkie-talkie" type service based on Qualcomm Inc. technology that could connect U.S. subscribers with foreign cellular customers.
    The Qualcomm system, known as QChat, uses Qualcomm's Code Division Multiple Access technology and network equipment that Lucent Technologies Inc. will put on sale later this year. CDMA is the preferred cellular standard in the United States and Asia, and Nextel said it would make QChat compatible with its U.S. network, which is based on technology from Motorola Inc.

Flarion Heats Up Wireless Broadband Race With Modems, Chipsets
    March 17, 2004
    By Mobile Pipeline News

Flarion Technologies, a vendor of wireless broadband equipment based on the nascent IEEE 802.20 standard, said Wednesday it has started shipping modems and embedded chipsets for laptops, handhelds and mobile phones.
    Flarion's technology is being used in field trials by Nextel Communications. The company claims its Flash-OFDM technology provides typically downstream speeds of 1 Mbps and typical upstream speeds of between 300 and 500 Kbps. It also claims latency of between 35 and 50 milliseconds.

That means it is more than twice as fast as Verizon Wireless' CDMA-based 1xEVDO technology, which that company will start rolling out nationwide this summer. Its latency is also roughly a quarter that of 1xEVDO. Lower latency makes certain types of applications, such as virtual private networks and voice-over-IP, easier to deploy.

802 Camps Duke It Out
    802.16 has time and Intel behind it. So where does that leave 802.20?

By Nancy Gohring
    March 15, 2004
    Wireless Week
    © 2004 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Nextel Communications' announcement that it is conducting a trial in the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., market using a network built with Flarion gear has thrown the spotlight on parallel and competitive standardization efforts at IEEE.

Two groups, 802.16 and 802.20, are working on broadband wireless access standards and both have courted Nextel. The 802.20 group points to its focus on full mobility as a differentiator. The standard will be designed to support high-speed connectivity at client speeds as fast as 200 miles per hour, says Ronny Haraldsvik, senior director of marketing for Flarion. "That's the key differentiator with 802.16," she says. In addition, 802.20 will be designed to operate in small chunks of spectrum. "If you look at the spectrum that's suitable for wide area service, it tends to be available only in small chunks," notes Marc Goldburg, chief technology officer of ArrayComm.

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Don,

What do you make of the GSM 1x trial with Samsung?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I was a little confused about that.

RCR News mention's "... Samsung also announced it completed a GSM 1x technology trial with Nextel Communications Inc., " in the Google Search but I didn't the same statement in the article. Samsung releases products, demos EV-DV Weird?

Tim D. hinted at CDMA a week back at an investory conference, Nextel bought the rights to QCHAT, QCHAT being Qualcomm, Qualcomm being CDMA. Not to mention Flarion is already putting their chipsets out there in the market, and it will be mobile.

So I don't think Nextel will go GSM, but I guess anything could happen.

4. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was confused as well when I saw the article on RCR about that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    is QCHAT's technology as good as the current IDEN? or will nextel's PTT be on par with Verizon's or Sprints (if the switch is made and IDEN phased out)?

6. JJSeminole

JJSeminole Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung U540
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

That's what I'm wondering .. how will the QChat PTT compare to the PTT they use currently. I personally thought Nextel would go GSM being that thier phones use sim cards and all. But who knows CDMA could happen too.

7. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    nextel going CDMA means more roaming coverage for us sprint people. im wishing nextel goes CDMA

8. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    nextel doesnt have coverage really ANYWHERE that there isnt already cmda coverage.

9. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    good point.

10. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW

11. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That is not 100% true yet.
    Only if the wireless phone can work on SMR band.
    as far as I know at this time there is no Cellular or PCS, nor PCS/Cellular phones that can work on the SMR band at this time.

12. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Nextel has been with the CDMA development group for awhile, so its no suprize that they would upgrade to CDMA Click Here. Is it true or not that buildout requirements for SMR is only for iDEN, and not any kind of digital like PCS?
    If thats the case they they will have to be dual CDMA/iDen for awhile?

13. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    When they get new spectrum, which looks like soon, they won't be subject to the SMR rules, but to the cellular rules.

14. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel