Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NEXTEL...BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

The good. Phone features. The I90c phone is great. The bad. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I am a Real Estate agent in Alexandria Virginia. A reliable phone is needed to stay in touch with Attorneys, Lenders, etc.I understand the value of providing good customer service. Problem number 1. I bought my phone after they told me I could check my AOL email. That was the selling point for me. After I paid 250.00 dollars for the i90c phone, I then find out that it does not support AOL, Hotmail, or CompuServe. OK, I keep the phone anyway because of the direct connect. Problem number 2. I have had the phone barely a month before it gets cut off. I say "What the Heck." I call customer service to find out what the problem is. After they "acknowledge" they are in error, they keep shifting me from billing to customer service. I then get HUNG UP ON purposely by the head of the billing dept. Can you believe that? What type of service is that?
    Problem number 3 The amount of time it takes for Nextel to solve a simple address problem. 1 hour and 53 minutes. Way too long for a problem that never even got solved. Problem number 4. The direct connect only works for about 5 minutes before they cut you off. I guess it's their way to pinch pennies. Funny they don't tell you that in the advertising. Problem number 5. You have to sign an air tight lengthy contract . Problem number 6. Very limited coverage area. Don't plan on being outside the limited coverage are visiting family for an extended period of time.
    Nextel might have been nice in the beginning, while they were trying to establish a client base, but they have really come way down since then. Stay clear of this company if you dont want to end up with a very expensive paper weight.

(Email address for this poster remove. It is against WA policy to allow anonymous posters to put any personal information in the post.)

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Nextel's problem is basically that they are working alone in the type of network they have. So they don't have any partners like AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint does so that they can expand their coverage with roaming agreements. I would personally not recommend Nextel unless you plan to spend the rest of your life near big cities. Frankly speaking, the places where you would need the phone the most in case of an emergency are those lonely places far from cities where there's not even a gas station nearby. Those are the places where Nextel lacks coverage but good'ol analog service is in place. Guess what? with Nextel you can't use analog roaming because their phones don't work in analog. Whatever carrier you have, if you have a phone that supports analog, you can get connected even if your company doesn't have coverage or roaming agreement and you have to pay $2.00 dollars per minute via credit card to another phone company. But hey, in an emergency who cares? The same goes for Voicestream, but their coverage is more extense than Nextel and I've heard there are some Voicestream (GSM) phones that will work in analog as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, I am here to say that Nextel coverage is by far the best, read widest, digital service right now. I speak form experience. I am a road warrior; I took 103 round trip airplane trips last year, many to some of the smallest cities in North America and was never out of coverage. Most of the posters that talk about coverage have probably never been past the local mall. I have tried every national wireless provider and found Nextel to have the best coverage and call quality. Yeah, their CS sucks, but it gets better every month. Their rates are expensive, but I could care less about unlimited nights and weekends, I need to call NOW. Admittedly Nextel phones do not roam on analog, however as analog networks are no longer being expanded, rather phased out by 2010, I see no reason to rely on an old standard. All of you doom and gloom people that talk about, 'yeah, but what if you are broken down in the middle of the night on some road in North Dakota and you have Nextel', Give it up! The phone would probably work, and even if it did not, I can find hundreds of places where NOTHING beyond a satellite phone would work. My employer would pay for any phone service, cost is no object, and I choose Nextel. By the way, you Sprint heads and AT&T folks, go to a busy airport around 5PM and try to place a call. That fast busy signal will tell you to get Nextel. Business travelers do not play around. Get Nextel and get on with it.

4. zorba

zorba New Member

It sounds like you have had a very bad experience with Nextel, which is unfortunate. I have Nextel and have no complaints. Their contract is usually only a year, so start looking right now for a carrier that would be better for you. No one carrier is perfect or going to satisfy everyone. Good luck!

5. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

I have to agree with the first thread. Nextel SUCKS!!!! I Live in Staten Island,NY and the coverage is horrible and Nextel knows it. I called CS( which also happends to suck) to complain about coverage in my area and they even told me that the coverage is minimal. I had the phone for only 3 months before i decided to disconnect it. Go anyone else but Nextel. I prefer Voicestream.

6. UWS

UWS New Member

First, you all need to understand that no service provider is perfect in U.S. unlike Korea and Japan we have spotty coverage every where we go. So far best provider that I experienced it was Verizon. I need to make it clear the all the service provider got there own advantage. even though NEXTEL has bad coverage, I'll have to say that Direct connect is the best tech that any provider came out with =)
    Oh, one more thing, With NEXTEL you can access to HOTMAIL and other E-mail ACCT. You just have to learn how to use it =)

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, we are not here exactly to compete in a wireless provider contest. We're simply providing feedback about our experiences with different providers in the places where we've been. I personally cannot say who's the worst provider simply because I had a bad experience with it. We all have bad experiences and good experiences with any provider. It all depends where we are at the moment of using the phone. Like I said in another topic in this forum, wireless provider service quality depends a lot on who you ask because everyone moves around in different areas of towns and cities and so everyone's experience is unique. And for those who say analog service is obsolete, yes it is obsolete, but those who have not been in remote areas in this country do not realize that analog is still today the most WIDELY available system covering more land than any other system. I was in some areas in North Carolina last year and I realized my phone was in analog most of the time when I was driving in those country roads. When I needed to call my office in NJ I was able to do that because good'ol analog signal was available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Well, I don't even know where to start......[​IMG]

First, Nextel is one of the best in the industry, regardless of the technology they use and support.
    I personally have almost 35 phones for my company in South Jersey and have never had a problem, customer service is top notch and have always been very helpful.
    Most people get off on the wrong foot, and don't realize it, you will get nowhere being rude to customer service agents. [​IMG]

<< After I paid 250.00 dollars for the i90c phone, I then find out that it does not support AOL, Hotmail >>

You obviously didn't shop around??? You can get the i90c for $59.00 bucks off amazon.com, and yes Nextel does support AOL & Hotmail.

<< Nextel might have been nice in the beginning, while they were trying to establish a client base, but they have really come way down since then. Stay clear of this company if you dont want to end up with a very expensive paper weight. >>

You know you had a 30 day trial period...???? If the coverage was that bad in your area you should have canceled it!!!

<< Nextel's problem is basically that they are working alone in the type of network they have. So they don't have any partners >>

Bobolito, Nextel has an affilate called "Nextel Partners" they mostly work on the more rual areas in the US.

9. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Nextel prides itself on being the only one in the dispatch market, so they can charge what they wish for their services, treat you like they want to, and you have nowhere else to go. They seem to operate in a vacuum, and I guess they can because for the moment, no one else offers what they do in the way of integrated services.

I cannot wait until congress blows the lid off them- Nextel causes life threatening interference to us public safety users on the band...and now Rep Tauzin has requested all documents from FCC Chariman Powell's office on 800MHz interference, who the primary license holders are (duh...that'd be Nextel) and who the primary source of interference is (duh..guess again...Nextel) so who knows how they will get through this storm. They won't be able to blow this one off, as USA Today, CNN, and WSJ have all done recent stories on how Nextel is responsible for interference to various 800MHz public safety radio systems around the nation.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Nextel with a passion- not because of their service- but the headaches they cause me as a public safety user in the 800MHz band. I despised their practice of gobbling up every single SMR to get frequencies adjacent to us, then they expect us to move when THEY are causing interference. Their business model is agressive, but when you start toying with people's lives it isn't business anymore- that is criminal.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Nextel cusotmer service is trerrible.

11. Jackson

Jackson Junior Member

I had NEXTEL through my work. They use it primarly for the direct connect. They decided to stop the service because the change from per second billing, it made the latest bill jump from $500-600 range to $2,200.00. The contract was up in 34 days and the office manager did what she was told to do. Call 30 days in advance to terminate the contract. When she did this, Nextel disconnected the phones, not the two-way radio. When she called back , cs said to have the phones turned back on they would have to sign a new contract. The original contract is not over until August 19th. I don't get it. The sales person who sold the nextel's did not try to help, but statrd to pimp sprint saying they would have two-way radio by the first of the year. I dont have a clue how they can try to sell something that does not exist as of yet.

12. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    << Nextel cusotmer service is trerrible. >>

Yet, another great comment.....How many brain cells did you use on that one?????[​IMG]

<< Don't get me wrong, I hate Nextel with a passion- not because of their service- but the headaches they cause me as a public safety user in the 800MHz band. I despised their practice of gobbling up every single SMR to get frequencies adjacent to us, then they expect us to move when THEY are causing interference. Their business model is agressive, but when you start toying with people's lives it isn't business anymore- that is criminal. >>

MTS2000, I think you're writing to the wrong group of people. You might want to try congress or even your local TV and newspapers, every time someone has a question or complaint about Nextel you preach the "Public safety" issue.

<< I cannot wait until congress blows the lid off them- Nextel causes life threatening interference to us public safety users on the band...and now Rep Tauzin has requested all documents from FCC Chariman Powell's office on 800MHz interference, who the primary license holders are (duh...that'd be Nextel) and who the primary source of interference is (duh..guess again...Nextel) so who knows how they will get through this storm. >>

Let me ask you this, who sold them their 800MHz band again??????? and your also telling me that Nextel is the only cause of this interference???

13. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

<<

<< Nextel cusotmer service is trerrible. >>

Yet, another great comment.....How many brain cells did you use on that one?????[​IMG]

<< Don't get me wrong, I hate Nextel with a passion- not because of their service- but the headaches they cause me as a public safety user in the 800MHz band. I despised their practice of gobbling up every single SMR to get frequencies adjacent to us, then they expect us to move when THEY are causing interference. Their business model is agressive, but when you start toying with people's lives it isn't business anymore- that is criminal. >>

MTS2000, I think you're writing to the wrong group of people. You might want to try congress or even your local TV and newspapers, every time someone has a question or complaint about Nextel you preach the "Public safety" issue.

<< I cannot wait until congress blows the lid off them- Nextel causes life threatening interference to us public safety users on the band...and now Rep Tauzin has requested all documents from FCC Chariman Powell's office on 800MHz interference, who the primary license holders are (duh...that'd be Nextel) and who the primary source of interference is (duh..guess again...Nextel) so who knows how they will get through this storm. >>

Let me ask you this, who sold them their 800MHz band again??????? and your also telling me that Nextel is the only cause of this interference???
    >>

Nextel admits they are the sole cause of CMRS to public safety interference. Go to http://www.apcointl.org and check the project 39 area for more information than you probabbly want.

As far as who sold Nextel the spectrum is a moot point- they are causing life safety threatening interference to us. People should know about it- especially you end users. So next time there is a delay for your call for help because our radios show "out of range" you can thank Nextel for that. Public safety and homeland security should be job one for all of us- not just the government. "to protect our nation from ALL enemies, foriegn and domestic" is the oath of office some of us who served in the armed forces and civilian public safety have taken. It is also the repsonsibility of our community and it's corporate citizens. Nextel is really blowing smoke when they try to say they are public safety's bext friend. Yeah, and I'm the King of Persia. Nextel is a poor coporate citizen of this nation- their service has been proven to cause harmful interference to public safety communications. Public safety is the first line of homeland security. Don't think that is so....tell that to the hundreds of dead police officers and firefighters who gave their lives' during 9/11 and those who have given their lives on days since. These people deserve the best equipment, and the best support. As our President says, we should go after anyone who is a threat to our homeland security and bring them to swift justice. This means anyone who is a threat to our public safety community or it's infrastructure. Nextel is no different than someone who jams police/fire communications with an unauthorized radio transceiver- they compromise the reliability of our life safety systems- these same systems that you the taxpayer expect to work flawlessly when you need them. You don't want to hear about how a Nextel site desensed a fire house radio and that firehouse missed the call and did not arrive in time. All you know is your home or business is gone.

Well we need NO ONE to compromise our systems, no matter if it is some punk kid or a large corporation who may inadvertently cause us harm, they should be dealt with the same. Our people need flight systems and any such compromise should be dealt with accordingly.

Besides, we have been on 800MHz well before Nextel eve exsisted. The usual custom of interference is for the newcomer to change it's systems or move off. Nextel wants us to move- this will cost YOU the taxpayer into the BILLIONS and there is NO GUARANTEE that it will even work. All this to benefit Nextel- who gains additional spectrum in the 2.1GHz band for being such "nice guys". What an outrage. Then their very public butt-kissing attempts at smoothing over the public safety community with the 9-11 Special on CBS, hiring Guiliani and trying to buy off APCO and IAPC. We know what is going on.

hey Rich- you don't like what I have to say about Nextel..don't read it. But people should know what they are about. I would guess that you have some relationship with them.

hey Rich, when you call 911 the next time to stop that dirtbag from breaking into your business, or your house is on fire, be ready to hand your Nextel phone to him or her that unit who is responding so he can call radio via a backline since his 800 radio might go deaf from a nearby Nextel site. Don't be offened- we are trying to do our job- to serve YOU. Even though you may be a total _____, dirtbag or stuck up moron, good old lady, young punk kid- when you call for help we answer and treat you the same. All we ask is for anyone or anybody who interferes with us to be dealt with so we can do our job. Nextel needs to do the right thing.

And I forgive you for your little juvenile comment about brain cells. Those of us in the business are used to little emotional eruptions when faced with cold hard facts.

14. IlKevinlI

IlKevinlI New Member

I also agrre that Nextels coverage is terrible. Especially in Staten ISland. I had their phone for 3 months before I had to cancel because of there terrible service in S.I. I also called customer serv ice and they told me that they were aware of the bad coverage and would be adding new repeaters very soon. That was 3 years ago. To his day, it is still terrible.

As to the first poster. I now have Verizon (excellent provider) and I am able to check my AOL and Earthlink email my my phone without a problem.

15. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I just wanted to let you know Rich.......I needed to use my brand ned Nextel i90c on Piney Hollow Road in Winslow Twp,NJ I'm sure you know where that is. Well.....no signal from Nextel there.....and Nextel has a new tower in Hammonton. Strike 1. Then I tried my Voicestream phone. Strike 2...... No signal. Finally Last but not least......my Verizon Kyocera 2135 came through for me in a pinch. It seems that Nextel and Voicestream has more "DEAD" areas down here in the rural neck of the southern NJ woods. [​IMG]

16. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

Speaking of the i90c phone, I have had nothing but problems with dropped calls, static,etc. Nextel reps admitted to the idiosyncrasy of that and when I suggested I am not pleased, and would like to return the phone, they him-hawed around the subject. I am going to call and ask tospeak to a supervisor this time and ship back the phone with them paying for it. Then I will go reactivate my i50sx which was a great phone.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sweetbox, EVERY company has more dead areas than Verizon.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Nextel direct connect is cool but the cell service is abysmal. Even with decent signal strength I get disconnected without warning, dropouts, garbled transmission, sudden beeeeep + "Try Again 481" messages... it's utterly frustrating and nearly useless as a cell phone.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

As a consumer trying to pick a cell phone service, Nextel is very expensive.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Mr,

"PS. If you don't like please as a courtesy to me and others like me... Switch companies. That is if you can afford to pay the $200/unit cancellation fee."

I am the guy that started this thread...... You must certainly
    work for Nextel because your spelling is as bad as their customer service. By now I am use to***** like you who don't understand the concept" Customer for life." I happily paid the rip-off 200 buck cancellation fee and have since sold my Nextel paperweight on EBAY.

I am now with a company Nextel strives to be..................................

VERIZION.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with the above post. That guy did sound like one of those crappy Nextel reps I so often spaek to on the phone. I am dumping my Nextel service because I too had a similiar experience with Nextel.

Extended waiting times to get a simple question answered.
    Spotty coverage.
    5 minute limit on Direct connect.

It's a shame the Nextel reps have to hide behind a forum such as this to vent. They would not have to go that route if they worked for a company that paid them more than 5 dollars an hour.

------
    Moderators please don't tell anyone that the above message was posted by the same anonymous who posted this one...[​IMG]

22. boo99

boo99 Member

Nextel is a total ripoff!!!!!!

I have had MANY freinds and myself get ripped off by them and they wont let YOU dispute it.....They have they final say in ALL.......They need to learn a thing about GOING THE EXTRA MILE FOR THE CUSTOMER OR get out of the biz of customer service........

They rip people off cause they started out for businesses and they DONT question a bill thats been ripped off; a non biz type DOES.........

Nextel does not empower their employess to give credit to the customer.......they have to send it to a HIGHER authority.............(BS) thats just pure bad, customer service.........
    They would be better off in the area of renting out a funeral home for a corpse........

j

23. supertle

supertle New Member

file a complaint to the FCC and in about 45 days you'll get a very friendly call from someone up the chain in command and will be gladly settle your problems. Believe me, FCC complaints are effective.

24. wxram

wxram Junior Member

If you are going to bash Nextel at least have the courtesy and join the forum under a registered name not anonymous.

25. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Just ignore then anonymous bashers

Jack

26. wxram

wxram Junior Member

We should make the Wireless forums a registered user only forum. If we ahve any comments we should not allow people to hide behind a mask.

27. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The problem is then they hide behind fake email addresses. WA has ways of handling even anonymous posters.

28. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Something needs to be done about the anon posters. They are really getting bad lately

Jack

29. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, that's enough bashing for today....