Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Newbie with Tower question

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by palongee1, May 26, 2011.

1. palongee1

palongee1 New Member

Hey everyone! Newbie here, not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not, any thoughts comments would be appreciated. I live in a rural area, (rural urban transitional) as the county likes to call it. I have several acres that has been surrounded by city. I was approached by a contractor representing verizon that is looking into putting a tower in my area. He said there were three spots they have been considering and the other 2 arent gonna work out. Anyhow, they want 50 by 50' spot to erect a 80 monopole tower. I have the room that doesnt get used for anything else which brings me to my question. The rep said the offer would be for 600.00 a month for 25 years with a 10% increase every 5 years, not bad spare cash right :browani:...however im curous to know how much I can Actually get outta them if the deal does go forward...I have read that you should have a attorney look over the lease agreement and so on...but just talking $$$$ I have no idea how to figure out what would be a realistic amount to try to get out of them. If anyone has any experience on this please chime in, if im in the wrong place I apologize. Thanks for your time!! Mike

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. palongee1

palongee1 New Member

Thanks! Will do

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Good advice on the thread above. Don't get greedy and push for too much. If you're their 3rd choice, you're probably not the best spot for them, and probably don't need your location too desperately.

Also, make sure you have an escape clause, for example, if you sell your property then the lease is terminated and Verizon will remove the tower at their cost.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ghz

Ghz New Member

Hi,

I could possibly help a bit, but as a resident of CA, I'm not familiar with the lease rates in your particular area.

First, they are asking for a ton of land (50'x50' is excessive for a single carrier). The reason being is that they will sublease out from under you and most likely in the agreement require all sublease rights in their compound lease area (thus, any future colocator will not have to pay a dime to you). The primary way around this is to lease a bare minimum of space to them to allow just their equipment and have it explicitly state that any future tenants on the ground must lease from you (they would get a rent on their structure as well). Monopoles typically only require a 12'x20' space for standard outdoor equipment cabinets and the space for the tower. Shelters, of course, need more space. They may ask for space for temp generators or other uses that are temporary. A way around this is to lease only the equipment space, but grant an easement for the temp stuff like a generator.

$600 / mo in CA is unheard of. Most lease rates start at $800 for the middle of nowhere up to around $2k. Leases above that are common place as well but are for more restrictive areas and limited candidates.

If Verizon didn't like the other two candidates, maybe they wouldn't have an issue going up to $1,200. Remember, they're low balling you.

The 10% every 5 years is low as well. A more common increase is 3% a year. Lease rates in CA at below $2k a month and 3% a year require no special approval by the carrier, typically (i.e. VP authorization).

There are a ton of things to look out for in a lease, and I advise an attorney (and make them pay for it as well). The carrier leases are naturally one-sided and leave you with little rights as a lessor (termination, access, corrective measures, and so on).

Sure, there is a risk they might bail, but if the other two candidates were not favorable to them, you're at an advantage.

Naturally my advice is worth the cost paid ...

6. palongee1

palongee1 New Member

Ghz..Thanks for the reply! Do you work in the industry or do you lease land for a tower? Ive been reading up on everything I could find online. The odd thing is that it seemed like the initial numbers the guy gave me, the first time he came by 3-4 months ago, was 700.00 a month with a 3% increase every year??? Now its 600 and 10% every 5??? Anyhow, ive spoken with the guys from Steel In the air an they have been very helpful, depending what I find out this week I may hire them to help me through the process. I was given a copy of the proposed lease and im no lawyer so alot of the verbage in there is just gibberish to me:loony:....Thanks again for your input!...Mike