Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by subcellular, Apr 21, 2006.

1. subcellular

subcellular New Member

Do I really have to sign a TWO year contract with Cingular? That's what I was told by a rep today and -- since this is MY FIRST cellphone -- I really don't want to make that much of a commitment.

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You can sign a one year committment. Your activation fee and price for the phone will be higher and the rep probably won't get as much commission(that's probably why he didn't offer you a 1 yr).

Hope this helps. Look at the cingular website, there are 1 year agreements available.

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Why not try prepaid? That way, you can test out the waters and see what you think, and if you change your mind, you are not out a large ETF to break your contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    One year agreements on the website? wow! that's a first! :eek:

I know 1-yr agreements are always available at the stores. If you get lucky, you can even get no commitment, but you have to pay full price for the phone or bring your own phone. But you have to get a REALLY nice store rep to do that for you. They are always capable of doing that, but they just don't want to because they get no commission.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. subcellular

subcellular New Member

Thanks all for the help. In the store I noticed that there were phone prices for 2-, 1-, and 0-year contracts and that's why I asked. Getting a dishonest (or ignorant) answer from the rep was not a good way to start out so maybe the website is the way to go.

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A good idea, but keep in mind that Cingular's pre-pay coverage map is not as extensive as the post pay maps. This has to do with the possible billing delay from roaming partners to Cingular...it would be difficult for Cingular to recollect that money from a pre pay customer.

Look at the on line maps, or go to your cingular store for more detail computer maps, before you decide.

viewfly