Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Wireless Service-Should I Buy Direct?

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Clarky, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Clarky

Clarky New Member

When purchasing a new phone, is it imperative to deal with the wireless company directly? I am considering switching from Sprint to Verizon, and am interested in the LG VX10. Radio Shack has a trade-in deal where you can get the phone for $69.99 after mail-in rebates. It retails at Verizon for $149.99 with no rebates available. Seems like a no-brainer (same product for lower price), but I've been advised by a few people (not including the Verizon sales reps!) to only deal with the wireless company. Any opinions?

2. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Clarky,
    There is nothing wrong with dealing with a secondary store like Radio Shack. I recently bought a phone at RS that was considerably cheaper than it was at VZ. Be careful to read the contract terms to make sure they aren't more restrictive than Verizon's. OTOH, Verizon allows you 15 days to bring the phone back and cancel your service without penalty, whereas Radio Shack allows you 30 days!

One of the other drawbacks in dealing with a non-Verizon store is that if your phone isn't 'quite right', Verizon stores are more inclined, and able, to just trade you for a new phone right off their shelf, whereas RS might not have as good a stock. The flip side of that is that you can return the phone to any RS if necessary.

After a few months, you can then deal directly with the Verizon store anyway.

The RS closest to work has a pawn shop next door. I've had friends walk in to the pawn shop, buy an old analog Airtouch phone for $5, then walk next door and get the $100 trade-in for it at RS!

-Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

See my post to your question in the NE forum. I agree with Bill though, just 1 point of clarification: RS can only exchange the phone within 90 days, but for any reason (even if you just don't like the phone you can exchange it for a new one within 90). After 90 days, if the phone needs repair, it can't be just traded at RS. Either you can deal with Verizon or let RS send it to repair (7-10 day turnaround).

4. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    Not only that, but if you purchase a phone at radio shack, you are not entitled to Verizon's on the spot warranty exchange program. If your phone takes a crap on you during the warranty period and you purchased your phone at Radio Shack, then you have to go back through them to get it reapaired which usually means they have to send it out which could and alot of times does take up to 10 days, where as if you get it at a Verizon store you just take it into a service center and get the phone replaced on the spot. Also alot of times with radio shack, the activation fee is more, plus there are alot more terms associated with an account from radio shack including much higher cancellation penalties.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

The activation fee issue is entirely incorrect. The activation fee gets billed by Verizon, not bt RS, and is always the same (or else Verizon would be breaching their contract with RS). Now, considering that this guy can get the phone for $80 less at RS, he can get the $3 a month equipment replacement from Verizon. That way, Verizon can handle all the problems with it, and he's covered even if he screws up the phone. The cancellation fees are higher at RS because you get double-dipped, but that only applies if you cancel service within the first 90 days. After that, RS secures its $200 from Verizon and wouldn't charge you that fee.