Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Windsor cell tower proposed for busy area

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Sep 12, 2007.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    New Windsor cell tower proposed for busy area
    By Michael Randall
    Times Herald-Record
    September 11, 2007
    New Windsor — It's barely been proposed, but already there's a lot of buzzing about this tower.

The cellular transmission tower Nextel wants to build on Route 94 would be right on the Vails Gate firehouse property.

And right next door to a school and a church.

And in the same block as three apartment or condominium developments, one a senior housing project not even built yet.

Nextel officials are supposed to come to the Town Board's Nov. 5 work session to explain why they need the tower there and answer the town's questions.

But opponents already are massing their forces for the public hearing that could follow that November presentation.

Sam Vriesema Jr., who lives across the street from where the tower would be, has already compiled a sizeable inventory of Internet sources on the issue, including reports of cancer and other health concerns, and other cities where towers have been banned from being anywhere near a school.

And he cites another health concern that has nothing to do with disease.

"If one of these things goes over (in a storm), the antennae are going to take off, and who knows where they'll land?" he said. He's already getting petition signatures against the plan.

Eric Raphael is a Nextel customer, but he said another tower isn't needed to improve service in New Windsor.

"I have clear service," Raphael said. "I have a laptop with a Sprint/Nextel card, and I don't get locked out anywhere (in town)."

Michael Blythe, the town's lawyer, said if the proposed tower's transmission strength is within Federal Communications Commission guidelines, the town can't reject it on environmental grounds — which by extension, he said, includes health reasons.

It can be rejected for a variety of other reasons, however, including inability to meet setback requirements, for aesthetic concerns, or if it can be shown it would devalue surrounding properties.

And because it would be on municipal property, a public referendum could be held if enough people petition the town to have one.

Such a vote, however, wouldn't be an automatic guarantee the tower would be turned down.

Just last month, residents in Blooming Grove voted 654-110 in favor of a Long Island-based company building two 150-foot cell towers on town property.

APP.COM - Fair Haven council OKs $130G cell tower deal | Asbury Park Press Online

2. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Wow!

That's some advocacy "journalism" loaded with a bunch of mis-information.

The carriers get it in the neck no matter what they do in NJ. There are the paranoid suburban NIMBYs who fight at every hearing based on conspiracy theory tinfoil hat type nonsense. It's annoying, but that is not unique to NJ.

What's much worse are the gangster-inspired laws that require "municipal bids" for the right to build a tower. The local municipalities in NJ monopolize the right to be a landlord for a tower by outlawing it on private property through zoning regs. Then, to make matters worse, they require a bidding process that pits the various carriers and tower companies agaist each other to get the right to build (on municipal property only, naturally).

3. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wow, to me this is insane. I just had to post my opinion on this. This article is definitely very misinformative by far.

I mean seriously, how often do cell phone towers/antannae really collapse? Maybe more often than I am aware of?

4. Bulldogjoe

Bulldogjoe New Member

It seems to be that you are very misinformed.:confused: I have done much research on this subject. The facts state that people are becoming ill when cell towers go up. Please do not post on issues that you have little knowledge about. Maybe you should do more research and intensively study this topic. I am a resident of New Windsor and I am very much against the tower. You do not live in this area, so you really have no idea what is gonig on. The FCC guidelines are not protective of human health and have been stated so by the EPA. There are studies that show cancer clusters and health effects caused form cell towers too close to residential areas. Thank you.

5. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And where are you getting your "facts" from? The National Enquirer? I bet dollars to dough nuts that you have a cell phone though. You do realize that you are getting more "radiation " from your cell phone than you are from the tower (unless you are perched up there next to the panels with the other birds). Oh, and i do live in the area (about 1 mile as the crow flies from the proposed site). I too have done much research on this subject. Facts state that Nimbys cause heart attacks due to the added stresses of dealing with hypocrites. I for one want and need this tower, hell slap it up at my house.

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think this really depends on who you ask because whether or not someone lives in that specific area or not there are thousands of towers in these areas across the nation. I think if it was this bad there would be an epidemic as some towers have been in place many years with people around them. I would think that being on an actual phone would cause more harm than having a tower close bye.
    Bulldog has some very good points and should not be taken lightly there is probably a certain risk with this but like I said before it is very slim IMO. I think the processed food we eat is doing more harm to us than a cell phone tower ever will.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No proof exists that people have ever gotten sick from any cell tower that's ever gone up, anywhere. In fact there's 100's of times more radiation given off from the actual handset use when held to the ear than any tower exposure. Same thing with your television and microwave so why not complain about those things more?

#7 larry, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  8. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    A cell tower at 850 MHz radiates 100 watts or so. A UHF TV station broadcasts up to 5,000,000 watts at a similar frequency. People live within a short distance of these TV stations and they are not all dropping like flies.

If any cancer link is ever proven, which it is not, it would be for holding the phone to your ear, not the cells on the tower broadcasting 100 watts.

I can understand the big ugly towers being fought, but now that that excuse is gone. Towers can be quite attractive, such as the flag pole at the Legion here in town. The tower design takes into account a collapse such that it does not fall on a structure or highway (such is the case here in town).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...