Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New unlocked Nokia 3585i and Verizon

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Nirvani, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Nirvani

Nirvani New Member

I got the phone here. It seems to be the only place
    anywhere you can buy one.
    http://www.westcoin.com/nokia3585i.html

I have read many of the stories here regarding a Nokia
    3585i and Verizon's network and they have been helpful,
    but not exactly what I need.

I just purchased the phone tonight, and expect it within
    the next week (shipping delays). The company I got it
    from says it is "UNLOCKED". Does this mean it will be
    a piece of cake for me to call Verizon next week and just
    tell them I have a new phone and give then the ESN?

Does anyone have any tips for me before I (hopefully)
    activate this phone?

For example: should I save the numbers Verizon gives
    me, or should I tell them that the codes do not work so
    they give me the master codes?

I am hoping someone with this exact experience can
    give me any clues ahead of time.

TIA,
    Nirvani

--
    http://www.nirvani.net

2. PjayzcivicHd84

PjayzcivicHd84 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am sorry that I cant help you with the details, but if it is unlocked, it will be a piece of cake.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gages

gages New Member

Not sure about the 3585i but I had no issue with a 3585.

*#639# enter your number (no area code) and select 22 as the nyc SID/NID.
    You can also change the alpha tag to Verizon (scroll down and just type it in)
    Call verizon and tell them you need you esn changed
    *22801 select option 1, wait for message, hang up
    *22801 select option 2, wait for message, hang up

SG

4. Nirvani

Nirvani New Member

Hi,

New update. The shop did not have the nokia 3595i at the moment.
    I ordered the nokia 6385 instead.

Would all the same apply to this phone too?

Also, regarding *#639# - what does that do? I do not live in NYC,
    but instead in San Francisco.

[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Nirvani

--

5. Nirvani

Nirvani New Member

Hi,

New update. I have canceled all my orders with http://www.westcoin.com/.
    They charged my credit card but never shipped any product. They
    _claimed_ to have had the phone, but after a week of them
    screwing around finally told me they were on back order
    and they had no idea when they would get them in. They only
    told me this information after I contacted them 3+ times.

The also _claimed_ to have credited back my credit card.
    Checking with my credit card company, they say no refund
    has been given.

The quick news is I have neither the 3585i or the 6385 like
    I wanted.

Nirvani
    --
    http://www.nirvani.net/

6. gages

gages New Member

7. Nirvani

Nirvani New Member

Even after canceling all my orders with http://www.westcoin.com/
    they did not refund my credit card. Today I was going to call them again and ask them what was up, but
    FedEx arrived at the door with a Nokia 6385. Well, all I can say was I was happy and confused at the
    same time.

The Nokia 6385 is such a wonderful phone. I am using it on Verizon's network in California (Bay Area).
    The Infra-Red is great (as you can put your own ring tones on without a cable, and create your own ring
    tones from .midi files with the Nokia software).

I am very pleased with the phone and very pleased at how easy it was to get it switched onto the Verizon network.
    I called Verizon and told them I got a new phone and wanted to switch ESNs. After giving him my new ESN of this
    new Nokia 6385, he said something like - "is this a Nokia 5185?"... I just said "yes". All the the functionality of the
    phone works. I don't subscribe to the Verizon Express Network, buf if I did, I suspect it would work just fine, even over Infra-Red
    with my laptop. The standard modem works just fine via Infra-Red to my laptop.

Super big thumbs up for Nokia finally releasing a CDMA phone that compares in functionality, size and style
    to their GSM models. I hope they release more in the future - as the Nokia 6385 is nearly identical in functionality
    to my old GSM 6210 (but that was 2 years ago). So, CDMA is trailing, but all I can say is that is a good thing compared to
    having to live with the normal crap. Nokia has really raised the bar as to what other phone manufacturers must live up to.
    With Nokia CDMA phones that nearly equal their GSM phones in functionality, it hopefully will put preasure on other CDMA manufacturers
    to not make their CDMA phones so feature-less for us Americans. If only the typical American know how great the rest of the
    world has it in regards to cell-phones. One big example in Europe, you only pay for minutes that you use calling someone. If
    you 'answer' your phone because someone called you, that is completely free just like answering your home phone (land-line).
    Doesn't that just make perfect sense?... Charge the person who is making the call. Same goes for SMSs (IE, text-messaging). The person
    sending the text-message pays for the message; the person receiving it receives it at no cost. If Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc would
    just catch on, it is so much more addicting to use text-messaging if you do not pay to recieve.

Sorry for the *rant*, but having lived in Europe for a while really spoiled me with cell-phones and coming back to the states
    really seemed like the dark ages (cell-phone and service wise). A least with a decent Nokia now, I feel much better (kind of like the pre-industrial ages).
    Now I just will cross my fingers and hope that the phone companies (Verizon/Sprint/AT&T/you-know-who-you-are) companies change some of their
    billing ideas to make things work more like the rest of the world (because the rest of the world has it better than us in regards to cell-phones and service).

I don't see the big companies changing their minds about service - but NOTE FOR SMALLER COMPANIES wanting an advantage over AT&T, Verizon and Sprint...
    research how cell-phone pricing works in Europe and offer that to customers in the United States! It is totally geared for the consumer, and the adoption rate would
    quite likely be huge!

Cheers,
    Nirvani

--