Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New tower in Scotch Plains NJ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NJ_Pubcrawler, Apr 18, 2005.

1. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I don't know that it would be necessary to have a tower on Central Ave. I notice that as I drive East along Central Ave from downtown Westfield, coverage gets better almost immediately outside of town. Once you get within a mile or so of the Parkway you are serviced by the 2 towers on the GSP (around mile marker 134, then around 138 on the Kenilworth Inn signpost).

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Plus you have numerous towers on the hotel at the Clark Circle & on the Office building by Shop Rite. So it may be they are putting it at Station 1 in Downtown Westfield.

I wonder if they may put it in the hose tower at the fire house, since these aren't usually used anymore.

3. jeffgm2000

jeffgm2000 New Member

There is as of 1/07 a Verizon cell tower in the process of installation on a office building next to the Westfield fire dept. You can see a fiberglass vhf base ant on the roof, that will be the new location. My wife works in the building, and her boss told her about the Verizon ants. on his building (he owns the building) It's the building were Motophoto is.
    Verizon advised him it should be up and running by March 2007 or sooner.
    This should take care of the crapy coverage in the town.

4. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am assuming your talking about next to their Fire HQ right? Is it on the Jolly Trolly building or another building?
    I am sure a lot of Verizon users are going to be very happy to have coverage in downtown Westfield soon.

5. jeffgm2000

jeffgm2000 New Member

The address is 241 North ave Westfield, not directly next to the fire house, but on the same side of the street. Also were the UPS store is that group of buildings. I looked the other day and don't see the panel's yet, but there working on installing the equipment first. Hope this helps.

6. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    That's great news. I'm glad to hear that VZW is finally able to address the horrible coverage in and around Westfield.

7. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just passed the tower on Martine this afternoon and finally, finally, finally it is done!!! :)

8. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Yep.. they took the COW away a few weeks ago so I assume the tower is fully online now. Unfortunately it hasn't made much difference at my girlfriend's place - not sure why since it's so close.

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's good that they have this up & running, I am suprised the coverage hasn't improved for you NJ_Pubcrawler, could it be the way the panels are setup or that this is a 1900 Mhz tower vs an 850?

It does stink when you are expecting things to get a lot better seeing something like this going up & it doesn't help once done.
    Does it look like they are putting any other carriers on this tower?

10. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Verizon Installs both bands in every cell site they install in this market, & I'm pretty sure Cing does the same .. there aren't any "1900 - only" VZW sites here as far as I am aware ... Just Sprint & TMble will be 1900 only.... (Depending on the specific site/area, 1900 may be live for VCAST/EVDO only, or both Voice calls & evdo)....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Yes, it does stink that coverage has not improved in the one area I would like it to. Oh well!

I believe they have installed panels for 3 other carriers on the tower in the past month or so. Not sure who they are since I can only test for VZW and Nextel.

12. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Yep, T-Mobile Tower.
    Looks like T-Mobile is on the Roll,
    they added 4 More in the Area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wasn't sure if they did both or would do 1 over another, I do wonder about something & maybe you know.
    In Kenilworth on the GSP, Verizon has an antenna setup on the Kenilworth Inn sign, recently Sprint put a tower up on the opposite side of the highway & about 4/10's of a mile south, behind Schering, Verizon also has panels on this tower.
    Would Verizon run both bands on both towers this close to each other?

Again Sorry to hear about the coverage not improving, I would guess the other panels would be for SprintNextel, T-Mobile & Cingular since we don't have any other carriers in this area.

It could be the Synergy site that is showing on the map for Fanwood on the SprintNextel site, which seems a little off for that.

I also can't figure out why Cingular would put one there, except to cover Clark better.

I know I will be going by there in April for a class at the police academy, so maybe by then I can check out the db for Sprint & Cingular.

14. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Yes, it would be odd if it didn't.
    in fact, the way CDMA works, every cell site by design, is SUPPOSED to have the same exact channels & bands as all it's neighbors, or soft handoff would not be possible.
    GSM/Analog/TDMA is the opposite, & neighbor sectors should Never have the same channels transmitting close to each other.

15. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the information, I am slowly getting there with how the technologies work. ;)

16. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  17. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    yea its up and running but it hasent helped much i already complained to verizon.

18. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I find this amazing that it doesn't help and wonder why your still not getting the coverage now. (not that I doubt you, just that after putting it up your still in a dead spot).
    Did they say anything when you complained or just the standard response?

19. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    oh you know what they say. " yes sir we will get a technition out to check the tower and make sure its working properly. maybe one of the panels facing your direction isnt working properly.""is there any thing else i can help you with?"

needless to say its a bit better. the spots are no longer dead but not at full bars. i get like 1 to 2 bars in the dead area now. along lambertsmill road.

20. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I am still surprised at how little service has improved around this tower once you get more than a 1/2 mile from the fire station.

I just mapped out a 0.75mi radius from the tower's location and found that the areas where I am seeing the dropoff in signal coincide with the outer edges of that radius. Specifically, Tamaques Park falls right outside the .75mi, the train tracks on Martine where I see a big dropoff are right on the .75mi boarder, etc. Could it be possible that they still have not turned this tower up to full power? I find it hard to believe a site this tall, with a clear shot for miles in each direction, would only provide solid signal within a .75 to 1 mile radius.

Am I missing something? :loony:

21. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Have you run a PN offset test in debug mode to see if you're getting different PN's at each azimuth? Sites do not always operate at full power. In fact most new sites these days are fill in sites and are purposely turned down in power for capacity reasons and/or to not interfere with other neighboring sites.

22. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's a good idea to try this. The big thing I don't understand is this tower would not be a "Fill In" site where it's located, due to the lack of coverage previously and the distance to other towers and should be a primary tower for Verizon.