Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New tower in Scotch Plains NJ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NJ_Pubcrawler, Apr 18, 2005.

1. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    So am I. They have started doing that up and down Route 1 near where I live (New Brunswick area) and it seems like a great solution.

2. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Anyone heard anything new about this? I drove past the tower yesterday and it still does not seem to be online.

3. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    It looks like they have finally activated this tower. I drove through the area last night and was receiving full signal in the immediate area. Unfortunately, at my girlfriend's place (no more than 1/2 mile away in a straight line) the signal went down considerably to the point where I only had 1 out of 4 bars (VX8300) in front of and inside her place. Correct me if I am wrong, but in a situation like this were there is almost direct line of sight to a tower that is this close, shouldn't I receive a better signal than that? Could it be that they are running this tower at less than full power?

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It could be still in test mode or maybe the panels are faced in a different direction or tilted so that the coverage favors a road/highway rather than the residential area.

5. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I am more inclined to believe that they may still be 'tweaking' the tower before it is ready to go. I don't know if you are familiar with the tower I am referring to, but it is not located close enough to a major highway to make me think they have focused the panels in that direction. The problem area as far as coverage is concerned around here is all residential, so my hope is that once the tower is set up properly it will improve.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Does this tower have just 1 companies Antenna's on it or did all 3 put up panels?

Hopefully they are still in test mode on this tower, since coverage going down that far in only 1/2 mile isn't good unless it's 1900 Mhz only, which wouldn't make sense for Verizon to run that only vs 850 Mhz due to poor or lack of coverage in this area. Especially with the college near there.

7. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    There are 2 levels of antenna arrays on the tower that I can see. Originally when it was put up there was only one, but the second was added a few weeks ago.

I agree that the coverage dropping off so sharply at such a short distance is surprising. I figured that once the tower was up and running I would see full (or very close to full) coverage from here. I just checked the field test mode on my phone (VZW VX8300) and I am seeing a signal strength of -89 with an ec/lo reading that is flipping between approximately -11.5 to -13, occasionally jumping to -32. The high reading (-32) on the ec/lo is something new - I have done field tests from this area before and have never seen it that high.

What college are you referring to?

8. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I just tried forcing my phone in to PCS only mode, then "cell" (850mhz) mode only and did not see any change in signal strength on the field tests.

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's very interesting, as for the college Union County College & the Union County Police acadamy is right up the road from this tower on Raritan road next to the nursing home.

10. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Maybe this Tower is Not VZW.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    VZW is definitely on the tower. Prior to this weekend I received a very low signal in that area. Now, this past Saturday, I received full signal while sitting at a traffic light across the street from the fire station where the tower is located.

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    *shrug* maybe only one of the three sectors is on air??

13. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    i'm having the same problem with my tower also. The tower is not even a 1/2 mile away and inside my house I only have 2 bars I have to go upstairs and still only have 3. But this tower has been messed up ever since they added more CDMA and took down the TDMA.

14. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Anyone else noticed that this tower still does not appear to be operating at 100%? I am still seeing a significant drop in service when I travel more than 1/2 a mile or in any direction from the tower.

I did notice the other day that there is a mobile antenna array parked on the grounds of the firehouse, so perhaps they have brought this online for some reason until they complete the configuration of the main tower.

15. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If I had Verizon I would take the ride to check this out for you, Hopefully they get this up & running right soon for you & other Verizon customers in that area.

Maybe tomorrow I will check out the fire scene at US Gypsum in Clark & take a ride by to see if I can find out anything.

16. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have not noticed better coverage, but I know for sure that Verizon is up and running on the tower.

17. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    verizon is definitly on the tower there is no doubt about that. The tower isn't up and running cause the tower designers screwed up. the fire department was supposed to be at the top of the tower with their antenna but it was placed lower down the pole. The fire and EMT pagers run off that. so since they screwed up the cell tower is on hold till it gets fixed. i did see a temp tower there on a trailor possibly for testing purposes but i cant confirm that. bottom line is the towers not on yet.....you'll know when it is. part of the condition for letting the tower go there was so the fire and ems could have use of the tower for antennas so when they messed up you can imagine the drama. All this info is in the scotch plains newspaper.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    See, let the tower sit idle for months at a time & there is a screw up. Maybe they were waiting for new antenna's for the Fire/EMS radio's & that's why it has been taking so long, till these companies get paid or the town gets the signed voucher back & processed at a meeting, they don't normally ship out the equipment.

I wonder how much longer people are going to have to wait for this tower to get up & running, did they say in the paper ?

19. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    nothing that i saw in the paper and havent heard anything either.

20. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Thanks for the information. I will have to search online for the article in the Scotch Plains newspaper. This makes a lot of sense based on the slight improvement in coverage I have seen in the area.

21. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    no prob.............

22. gubak

gubak Junior Member

Very good topic

23. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :) I noticed the temporary tower and service has improved. If this is any indication the service should be great when the permanent tower is complete.

24. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Anyone have any updates on this? As Monday night the COW was still in place and service had not changed. Also, does anyone know the status of the VZW tower going up near downtown Westfield?

25. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I haven't heard of anything on the Verizon tower in Westfield, the last I heard a while ago was they were turned down on the location they wanted it.
    It's got to be hurting them not having good or any coverage in the center of Westfield.

I also haven't heard anything on the Scotch Plains tower as well. Maybe they are still waiting on the antenna's for the FD/PD?

26. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I heard something recently that VZW was supposedly going to be activating a tower just outside of downtown Westfield (at another fire station, supposedly). I know service in Westfield has not improved since I was speaking with my girlfriend yesterday as she drove through town and the call dropped twice (as it usually does).

I haven't had a chance to look at the Scotch Plains tower in daylight recently, so I am not sure what (if anything) has changed. Could it actually take this long to relocate a couple of antennas???

27. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

The 2 firehouses in Westfield are on North Ave. next to Jolly Trolly in the center of town & on Central Ave. by Sycamore Ave. so if they need the coverage in the center of town, then HQ would be the best choice for coverage there.
    If I see the Chief at a fire or our next meeting, I will ask him if he knows anything about towers being put on 1 of the firehouses. He is the one that told me about the denial for the original location for the tower.

As for Scotch Plains, unless they are upgrading their radio system, it shouldn't take that long to relocate the antenna's, something else may be holding this up as well.

28. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    A tower at the fire station next to Jolly Trolly would probably provide all the coverage they need in the downtown area. Either that or on the train station property.

29. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

I can see the Interest in this Tower for Coverage
    has been Long.
    If your Carrier Does Not Provide the Indoor
    Coverage that you Need Inside your House
    i would Look to Another Carrier that Does.

30. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, it's a better location the Station 2 on Central Ave, unless they are trying to get coverage into Clark as well, since it's about 1-2 miles from the Center of Westfield & the Clark line as well.