Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New tower in Scotch Plains NJ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NJ_Pubcrawler, Apr 18, 2005.

1. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Also, the construction specs are based on computer models of expected coverage.

When the new sites get turned on, there is usually some tweaking of the installations in reaction to actual coverage results.

2. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Anyone heard any updates on this tower? I drove past it the other day and there are still no panels in place yet.

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    drove past it myself the other day and i saw the same thing.....still no panels.....wtf are they awiting on ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Either they ran into problems with the site or some NIMBY people are taking the whole project to court, I haven't read anything about the 2nd possiblity though.
    I haven't been able to talk to my buddy from Fanwood to see if he can give me an update, I will try another angle this week to see if I can get some info.

5. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was by there tonight and still no panels, I went behind the building & there is still a stack of bricks & no door on the building, there are 2 possibilities here 1. they are still waiting on PSE&G to run the power to the building (They do take 3-6 months to get to a site to run power) or 2. the neighbors are fighting the tower & it's held up in the courts.

I do know Mountainside tried to pull a fast 1 last month & now is in court. The Mountainside Elks were approached by Nextel to put a tower up & they said yes, it went to the planning board & was denied, a couple of days later the town approached Nextel & said " we have 2 towers on our property & for the right fee you can put your antenna's on 1 of them"

Well the Elks got wind of it & are going after the town about it, could be interesting to see what happens.

6. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    Growing up on the northside of scotch plains, we always thought the southside was the richer, stuck up side so it wouldn't suprise me if they got together with some lawyer to file a complaint or something

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    thats funny ! ive lived both sides and agree. used to live on montague now i live off lambertsmill. talk about class change. neway i got so excited when i saw the tower going up but now....i dont know what to think. ill probably be moved by the time they get it on. im probably moving to another part of scotch plains or westfield.

8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well if you end up in Westfield I did hear Verizon had gotten approval for a tower on a building near the center of town, but the historic society took it to court & won to have it stopped, they are trying to get another location for a tower to help cover the center of town.

9. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Hopefully they can find a location everyone agrees on and get that tower in place soon. I have only been spending time in Westfield for about the last year and a half but have noticed that VZW coverage there is very poor. My girlfriend lives in the area and drops calls every time she drives through town.

10. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Anyone have any idea as to what is going on with this tower? :censored:

11. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I would love to know too - every time I drive past I have to wonder what it taking this long! The tower has been up for almost a year!

12. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Anyone hear anything new about this tower or the proposed tower in downtown Westfield? I drove past the tower at the fire station on Martine and there are still no panels up yet.

BTW, does anyone know where specifically they wanted to put the downtown Westfield tower?

13. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't heard anything yet about this. As for the tower in Westfield, I didn't get the exact name or address of the building, but it is considered an Historic building somewhere near the center or in the center of town.
    Next time I see the person who told me about it, I will try to remember & ask him which building it was.

14. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As per the 5/17/06 Scotch Plains-Fanwood Times:

"The cell tower at Fire Station Number Two in Scotch Plains looks ready to go but final commissioning is a ways off, say officials" :loony:

15. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Could this be yet another NIMBY problem? Obviously the tower was built, but could someone be protesting loudly enough to delay the installation and activation of the cell panels? :confused:

16. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Injunction might be the culprit.

If this is the case, the complainant would have to prove "actual or imminant injury occuring in fact". This would serve only to gain them standing to file for an injunction. It's a very high standard. There are logical and practical reasons for this high standard - specifically so some local crackpot or malcontent cannot abuse the court system to hold up the business of society via an injunction.

I shudder to think of what might have led to an actual injunction, but it surely wouldn't stand the light of day.

I'm hoping there is another explanation for the delay.

17. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I doubt it.
    That Newspaper would easily know this & jump on printing that sort of information / story .... I'll bet some digging will turn up the "real" reason ....

18. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is nuts, I really would like to know what the delay is. Especially after the tower has been put up & it looks like the power & lines have been brought to the building.
    Scotch Plains does have some powerful people living there & who knows if they aren't fighting the tower with an injunction & keeping it out of the paper.

19. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I just drove past the firehouse this evening (Saturday night) on the way to my girlfriend's house and did a double-take: the panels are up! It looks like they are still working on wiring everything up since there are spools of cable sitting around the base and some cables hanging from the top of the tower, but there are definitely panels in place.

Since I am not sure how to identify the carrier based upon the panels I saw, can someone who lives in the area take a pass by there and let us know?

20. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Good news!

21. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    If it's anything like up here in NNJ/NY areas -
    2 Panels per sector is either Tmbl or CING - A close look at the 2 panels will tell you if 1 is slightly larger or different, then it's CIN since 1 is 800 & 1 is1900. T mobile's will be 2 identical 1900 panels.
    1 Panel per sector is Sprint.
    4 Panels per sector is either VZW or NexTel - Usually a close look at the VZW panels will reveal 2 of them (usually the 2 inner ones), are 1900, & a little different or thinner than the other 2, Nextel are 4 Identical 800 panels.
    There are exceptions, but this holds true for the majority of newer sites installed in this market....

22. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Thanks for the info. From what I remember it was 4 panels per sector, with the two inner panels being taller and thinner. Using this breakdown that would almost certainly make it a VZW tower which is sorely needed in this area. I am going to drive past it again in a little while to confirm.

23. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    OK, I took a ride past the tower again today and confirmed that there are 4 panels per sector installed on the tower. The two inner panels are taller and thinner than the two outer ones, which leads me to believe they are for VZW service. I'm hoping they can get this thing turned on some time this week!

24. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Yes it's VZW.
    It can sometimes take up to 4 weeks from when panels are first installed on the pole, so be patient.

25. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Hmmm.... that could be a problem. I am not always a very patient person! :browani:

26. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

You already waited more than 13 months,
    what's another 4 weeks.

27. aSperanza

aSperanza Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Finally. Now maybe I'll be able to use my phone on south side of Scotch Plains when this is up and running.

28. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was told today that Sprint plans on putting Antenna's on this tower as well.

29. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I'm not surprised. I think their coverage is a bit better in that area than VZW, but not by much. I know Cingular has problems around there too - my girlfriend's sister lives in the same area and has a lot of problems with dropped calls on her Cingular phone.

30. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I guess it depends on where in that area you are with Cingular, I have been at the college inside with good coverage, I think Cingular has antenna's on the power towers by the nursing home.
    I am sure the more you go towards Rt 22 the signal may get weaker, by the nursery then better as you get closer to Rt. 27 and Rt. 22.

I am suprised they haven't put more antenna's on the power line towers that go thru that area.