Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New tower, better coverage in Litchfield

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ace41690, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    To whom it may concern(which is probably nobody since I live in the middle of nowhere), Sprint has finally(the thing has been in the works for 4 years) activated their new tower on route 202 in Litchfield, Connecticut. The new tower provides new coverage on routes 202 and 63 and will host 3 carriers, Sprint, ATT, and Verizon. Curiously, verizon has the top spot although it is a sprint tower. To date only the sprint and Verizon panels are on the tower and activated.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Nice. I remember hearing about this one for years!

Sometimes it's not necessary for Sprint to mount their equipment at the top of the tower. I know other Sprint owned towers where Sprint placed their equipment lower on the pole. Higher is not always better and there are a lot of variables that determine the height they need.

3. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Not to mention it may be about money. Perhaps Verizon was willing to pay more for the top spot, or they put up money to make the tower taller than Sprint spec'ed it.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, most likely this was a joint project from the start and Verizon specified the height they wanted and the tower was built accordingly.

5. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It was originally just a sprint project, Verizon intervened as did att.

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I guess AT&t, Sprint, and Verizon customers are thanksful for this.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cell towers go up in area
    By: Vanessa Lynn Pinheiro
    06/13/2008

In a continuing effort to provide wireless service for local residents in Litchfield County, Verizon Wireless has activated a new cell tower on Torrington Road/Route 202 in Litchfield.

"People should have already noticed a difference in service, and we have been able to update our services throughout New England," said Marcia Simon, a spokesperson for Verizon Wireless.
    The new site increases wireless voice and data coverage and capacity along Route 202 between Torrington and downtown Litchfield, and Route 63 in Litchfield between Goshen and Bethlehem, as well as the surrounding area, which has usually been a dead zone.
    The new structure is a monopole and was constructed by Sprint. The tower is being shared by Verizon Wireless, as Ms. Simon said it's common for different carries to share a site.
    "It's more cost effective and we want to have respect for the landscape and to keep things aesthetically pleasing," said Ms. Simon. "People can deal with one monopole; they don't want to see multiple poles to achieve the same coverage that can be provided by one."
    Regionally the company has invested nearly $2.2 billion into its New England network, including over $292 million in 2007. As a result of these investments, every Verizon Wireless cell site in New England offers wireless broadband connectivity.
    BroadbandAccess offers computer users high-speed wireless mobile broadband network, operating at average upload speeds between 500 and 800 kbps, and download speeds between 600 kbps and 1.4 mbps over Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess with EV-DO Revision A network.
    The company's "nation's most reliable wireless network" reputation is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women throughout the country who inspired the "can you hear me now" national advertising campaign.
    Nationally, these test men and women drive nearly 100 specially equipped vehicles almost 1,000,000 miles annually on Interstate, U.S. and state highways as well as major roads and surface streets in high-population areas, based upon U.S. Census counts, to confirm that voice calls and data connections are successful on the first attempt and stay connected, according to a release from Verizon Wireless.
    Ms. Simon said their vehicles are equipped with $300,000 worth of computers that automatically make more than three million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers.
    "Unlike the rest of Connecticut we didn't have a license to service Litchfield County until 2004. When an FCC license became available, we turned service on in the area," said Richard Enright, director of network performance for Verizon Wireless in New England. "Prior to that, consumers in the area were roaming and were relying on other carries to provide them with them service. Now, we are currently working on plans to build more sites in the area."

©The Litchfield Enquirer 2008

8. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Lol, i saw that in the paper today. I love the way Verizon gets a lot of the credit when it was sprints idea in the first place.

9. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    One thing about towers is 99.9% of the time it has nothing to do with "whos tower it is" because towers do not belong to cellphone companies, they belong to 3rd party companys that own the towers, who usually pay another company to actually construct them.

So with that said its very easy for one company to get priority if they pay more and easy for companys to add to towers, espically since by law generally there has to be room for expansion of other companies to a tower to make competition fair.

10. liagb59

liagb59 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Katana II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Although I am reading this post real late, I for one is happy for the sprint tower now if they would bring one just a little closer to Oakville, it would be great. Service in Oakville where I live kinda sucks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...