Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New to the forum but need some wisdom

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Gary L, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Gary L

Gary L New Member

I live in the NY Catskill mountains where cell service is spotty at best. Zero signal here at home but up the road a mile or so I can make a call. Even my internet has to come via satellite and only the 2 providers consider this HS.

We need new cell phones but I am at a complete loss as what we should invest in. We don't text and have never been able to use our phones for anything but phone calls. They are very basic phones used in an area that has very basic service if any service at all.

My thought is that a smart phone in this area would be a complete waste but I don't honestly know if a better phone will give us any advantage. Living in an area that is more in tune with turkeys it is hard to fly like an eagle and we have been in the dark ages and still are.

We currently have a family plan for the two of us at $70/month that gives us 700 shared minutes of which we rarely use more than 20 minutes total between us. Wife calls me at our land line from work to let me know she is on the road where she will soon have zero signal.

My question is; Should I remain with the very basic phones or step up to much better smart phones. There is no hope of better service because the town rejects every attempt to erect towers. We are not travelers so I would not buy better phones for when we go to areas that have good signal. I actually wonder why we even have cell phones given the uselessness they have here. We might be better served with a pay as we go basic plan with basic phones that might work in an emergency situation or when we get in to the local towns and villages.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Call you tell us the ZIP code of your location and which wireless company you are currently using?
    That will help us figure out what options might be available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gary L

Gary L New Member

Thanks Joe, 12777, Forestburgh, NY and Verizon seems to be the best according to what others say.

4. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    If you consider cellular amplification . Keep us in mind . We have given away systems here and the winners have given detailed reviews of said systems.

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t...ntest-win-solution-your-cell-reception-2.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gary L

Gary L New Member

Thanks Max. From everything I have heard, next door neighbor bought and installed an amplifier, there needs to be some signal for it to be able to amplify. When I say zero signal at my home I mean zippo and I can't even get the time to appear. It just says "Searching for signal". My brother has the newest I Phone and is not able to text from here which he claims is ridiculous.

6. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If there is even the slightest signal we can put a package together that works . Even if your phone currently can't use that signal. In a few of our installs we have installed pre- amps before the wireless system amplifier and have created a very usable signal . Just did several customers at a RV park in Utah that had absolutely no signal and now have 4 bars in now in their 45 foot RV's. Only thing that cannot be overcome is a line of sight or terrain issue.

7. Gary L

Gary L New Member

I believe that "line of sight" is our issue here. Mountains and tall trees all around us and no cell towers in our line of sight. As I said, I can go about 1 mile down the hill and get a partial signal or I can go 3 miles up and find a good signal. We need to have a tower right by our fire company but the town leaders so far have been against one. Even with a tower at the fire company there is no guarantee it will provide signals to us.

I don't know if it relates at all but I can't get an AM or FM signal here either. We use satellite for XM radio, TV and internet.

8. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Check out Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon - CellReception.com It gives you tower locations . Perhaps another carrier has a closer tower that transmits into your immediate are.

9. Gary L

Gary L New Member

10. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    You probably are using it right.
    That site is FAR from a compete list of cell company antennas.

I'm guessing you have an internet connection. ;)

Have you looked into a femtocell or what Verizon calls a Network Extender?
    Here is the product: Verizon Network Extender

That page explains how it works pretty well....a bit expensive though.

11. Gary L

Gary L New Member

Thanks JFB but not a working solution here as this unit does not support satellite Internet connections which is all I can get here.

12. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    At my house there is considerably more cellular signal if I am on a ladder up near roof level than there is at ground level. If you can get even a faint signal at roof level, the equipment Maximum Signal sells would easily bring a usable signal into your home. If there is no signal at the roofline, it could possibly still be done but I suspect it would be costly.