Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New study says Sprint has the fewest dropped calls

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by larry, Feb 21, 2007.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Corporate wireless management company mindWireless has stepped into the fierce debate over which carrier truly has the fewest dropped calls, offering up its own data that shows Sprint Nextel Corp.’s CDMA network usually is the most reliable.

MindWireless said it used a sample of more than 80 million calls placed and received between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2006, as the basis for its conclusions. The company defined a dropped or “duplicate” call as “a call from a cellular device to another wireless device or landline placed within two minutes of a prior call to the same destination, with no call between.” The company excluded calls to voicemail and Sprint Nextel push-to-talk calls.

“We are constantly bombarded with advertising from wireless carriers claiming to offer the fewest dropped calls, making it hard to decipher the truth,” said David Wise, managing director of mindWireless. “Because we manage over 130,000 wireless lines for our clients, with access to detailed call data, we have a very accurate view into actual calling patterns—and the results surprised us.”

The company, which called itself “an independent services provider with no carrier alliances,” found that Sprint Nextel’s CDMA network had the lowest average rate of duplicate calls, with 5.4 percent over the six-month period. Sprint Nextel was followed closely by Cingular Wireless L.L.C.’s legacy AT&T Wireless Services Inc. network, with an average duplicate call rate of 5.7 percent. Verizon Wireless, which touts its network as the most reliable in its advertising, came in third with an average duplicate call rate of 8 percent.

Cingular’s own network—the one it operated before it acquired AWS—averaged a duplicate call rate of 11.3 percent, while T-Mobile USA Inc. came in with 13.8 percent. Sprint Nextel’s iDEN network placed last with an average duplicate call rate of 14.6 percent over the first six months of 2006.

The findings are notable as Sprint Nextel routinely rates at the low end of many such network studies

http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070221/FREE/70221008/1008

#1 larry, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Re: Who really has the fewest dropped calls?

Oh c'mon Larry.... we were just letting you do the honors. ;)

I wonder what the folks at JD Power and Consumer Reports have to say about this. I bet they will never accept that Verizon and T-Mobile had more dropped calls than Sprint. :D

I don't understand those scores. Cingular has 3 different scores. AT&T legacy and Cingular legacy are the same network. How did they differentiate the two if there is no difference in the network? And what is that "VerizonCingular" entry there? Is Cingular 5.7%, 8% or 11.3%?

I have nothing against Sprint, but they're known for always dropping calls in NYC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I don't know Bobolito. NYC has just had a huge expansion and is much better now. Did you see the shot of all of the new synergy sites there?

But I agree that these studies don't really mean much. However it is nice to finally see Sprint on top for a change. :D

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I just realized that the "VerizonCingular" thing was just a mistake which you already fixed. It is just Verizon at 8%. Cingular has 2 scores (5.7% and 11.3%) which doesnt make sense to me. Maybe they mean TDMA vs. GSM?

We can thank JD Power and Consumer Reports for this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)

Having Verizon, T-Mobile, and Cingular at the present time, I find I have experienced dropped calls pretty equally between them. Yes, dropped calls are annoying, but they don't destroy me. Heck, I even have dropped calls on Vonage VoIP! Not very often, but they do happen.

When I had Nextel, it too was on par with the others, though with Direct Connect, "Network Trouble" and other issues were more frequent than I would have liked.

I've never had Sprint and don't plan on getting them, so I have no idea how they really are.

Each of the companies can tout whatever they want. As long as I have service when I need it, that's all I care about. Well, that and good customer service.

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

T-Mobile and Sprint have the largest amount of cell sites here in So. Cal by far so on paper they should be the best two for coverage here.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

T-Mobile and Sprint typically need more cell sites than Verizon or Cingular due to their exclusive use of 1900Mhz. Here in NJ T-Mobile has far more cell sites than Cingular, yet Cingular's coverage is much better.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Agreed but the range difference of a typical modern 800 Mhz site compared to a 1900 Mhz isn't as much as everyone thinks it is. The reason being is that nowdays most sites (here in LA for example) are built very low and the 800 Mhz sites almost never operate at full power anymore anyway. In order to get the full range advantage of an 800 Mhz site it was to be one of those older taller sites operating at full power (which only really happens out in rural areas these days).

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid

This is a terrible way to measure dropped calls. How many times have one of us talked to someone, then, after hanging up, remembered one more thing and called them right back? That's not a dropped call, but it appears in this instance that it would be recorded as such.

10. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Larry, I tend to think 800 still has an edge even in heavy to moderately densely populated areas such as metro Atlanta suburban areas. I think terrain and trees may play a big role in this. Most sites in the Atlanta area are failry tall (150 to 200 feet)

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Also add in any NIMBY'ers which NJ is famous for, the 850 will help carriers in these area's over 1900. Most towers being built around here are still tall towers, but there does seem to be more "lower" towers which usually are Sprint & T-Mobile.

I also wonder if by the way this study was written, where they did their testing?
    It almost with the AT&T and old Cingular network seems to be in CA or it's an older study prior to most of the network integrations for Cingular.

12. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Anymore here, the only time I drop calls is when I already know I'm on the very fringe of the coverage area.

13. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t

Yep...same here. When I talk Cingular to Cingular...I can't tell you the last time a call was dropped between us.

I just talked to my dad yesterday, he is on Nextel. I was on my headset and my phone was stationary in the house with full signal.....he was talking not moving, had full signal, and the call dropped 4 times. I then had a converstation with another Cingular person for 30 minutes and was fine. My sister and her husband have Sprint....and the same thing. I refuse to call the cell now....unless I have to. I either get them on the house line, or hopefully I can get them on the office line.

I'm not carrier bashing here....but fewest dropped calls claims are outrageous. It varies by market. Sprint is in the dirt here for dropped calls, but in SoCal.....they may be better than Cingular....or Verizon, etc. I guess I am just saying that it varies by market, how many dropped calls you get on a particular carrier. Some markets may be better for your calls than others are.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Yes it does have an edge but just not as much as everyone tends to think. Here in LA most towers are only 35 to 100 feet tall and are often not operating at full power. That's because the carriers don't want them to reach too far because of potential capacity issues. So they purposely control their output by downtilting and lowering the power. So whether or not 800 Mhz has a big advantage all depends on the area and terrain. Here in Los Angeles the difference is not all that it's hyped up to be.

15. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
  16. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: MOT-RAZRV3xx/96.71.95R BER2.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; 11063081) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Opera 8.00 [en] UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

we all know cingular wins!

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Yes we all know Cingular is the best. :rolleyes:

18. NFrabbit

NFrabbit Member

My Phone:
    motorola RAZZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Did I read the first post correctly? Is it really saying that 11.3% of all Cingular calls get dropped? And the appropriate figures for the other groups?

Even a dropped call rate of 5% seems excessive and totally unacceptable to me.

I might add that I'm on Cingular now and I can't remember when I last had a call dropped. The same was true with my previous carrier.

Or did I mis-understand the report (Hey I'm an old man and allowed to be confused every now and then.) :loony:

19. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial

Does it really make any difference whether you are talking to another cell phone? I mean network capacity or interference aside (which is what it sounds like is the trouble with your dad), it doesn't seem like it should matter what number or who it is provided to. Besides a statistical/odds increase when talking mobile to mobile I wouldn't think it would matter....

Too bad they didn't include little ole' Alltel in the study.....

20. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t

We are soooo glad that you have finally been enlightened. LOL

:browani: :browani:

21. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

If you go to this link www.cellular-news.com/story/22188.php they have a chart with each carriers percentage of dropped calls by each month

22. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

I was just going to put the actual jpeg from the mindwireless press release but it was too washed out

One thing, one can for sure that the integration for Cingular did do wonders for it. One thing since Nextel offers its call services along the no count of PTT and since it being part of the Sprint nextel, I wonder why they did not make the avg. grouping. Now I am not trying to say who is better but I am tryng to open eyes as to how each wireless company can do their spin on it. Sprtin can site teh Sprtint side only while Cingular can use the grouped avg of Sprint and Nextel.

23. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Being this study was done between Jan. 06 to June 06 I can see where some of the numbers came from, including the Nextel part, I wonder what would happen now with the Cingular integration almost done & with the Sprint/Nextel co-locating antenna's if this changes the numbers.
    I also believe there have been press release's of Verizon adding towers and am sure their numbers would improve.

24. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

I agree. I do like tghis study as it is done over a certain period of time with teh same rules applying with no certain provider paying for it (and I hope if it is a paid one then all providers jointly paid for the study). I realy would like to see the July to Dec and then Jan 07 to June 07 as tis would, as you said, show how the integration and built up is effecting the service. In the end, we will most likely see that all are close to each other and the only thing that matters is the price on the service as a base for competition.

25. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines

with maybe sprint comming in a close second,:browani:

26. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL

At what though Larry is what we want to know :D

27. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

That's true. And lets also not forget building penetration. Many times 1900Mhz carriers are forced to install additional sites to simply boost indoor coverage in places like shopping malls, whereas 850Mhz don't need to.

Even if the networks were not integrated, they cannot tell which network the subcribers had been using because as we all know, both blue and orange networks allowed roaming on each other. So a subscriber could be using one network one minute and the next he could be using another depending where they were. I think there are a lot of errors in those calculations.

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

During the 1st half of 06, the Cingular integration was almost complete. That's why I have a problem accepting their separation of the AT&T Wireless and Cingular networks as they had no way to differentiate them. By analyzing call records all you can get is information about if the customer uses an AT&T Wireless SIM card or if they used a Cingular SIM card, but it doesn't give any information about which network they were using. They were probably assuming that any user with an AT&T Wireless phone was using the AT&T Wireless network and we know that is many times incorrect.

The blue/orange integration was completed on Q3 '06 if I recall correctly.

29. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I agree they were using both networks during this testing & it would be very hard to do testing when they were sharing networks.

I wasn't sure if they finished the CA integration in 06 or it was almost done, but the rest of the country had finished being integrated, but even if they did this testing was done prior to that.

It does question some of their testing and results.

30. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

Thye could have very well known all the exact info as to where the integration was ompleted and where it was not. I think Cingular would have provided that info for the study purposes. At least if it was correct then would show how the build out realy helped the hand off from one to another (as we all know hand off was not possible prior).