Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Sprint Nextel company name to officially be announced tomorrow!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, Jun 22, 2005.

1. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    If I was Cingualr I would be SOOO pissed at the ATT people ight now. Anyhow. Cingular just needs to press on.

You know, Screw 3g. Get 2 g right forst....PLEASE!!!!!!! and that goes for EVERYBODY!!!!!

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think they should just focous on the integration 1st to hopefully smooth out some of the problems, it just seems they are going in too many different directions & that can cause more problems. Yes it would be nice to get 2G right first.
    Why do you think Cingular would be pissed at the AT&T people? because they started the 3G already?

3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Integration is part of the 2 gg process. 2g is bulletproof voice coverage in my eyes.

And if ATT had let them keep the name an extra 6-12 months the integration would probably be smoother.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Why would keeping the AT&T name make the integration smoother? It's just a brand name and only affects how marketing/sales is done. No relation to how backend equipment and billing systems integrate. As you probably know, Cingular is only integrating network equipment. Rebranding AT&T Wireless was the easiest part of this whole merger which they already got done.

What I think could make merging the two companies smoother is to be a little more flexible with former AT&T Wireless customers. For instance, let them keep their own phones if they want to and provide them with a re-programming service so that those AT&T devices become Cingular devices. In addition, they should've re-created all AWS rate plans on the orange side to allow former AWS customers keep their existing rate plan as they migrate. Just those two things would've made things a lot nicer for former AWS customers. SBC/BLS has enough money for this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I disagree with that point. As you know, TM/VoiceStream bought up a bunch of companies along the way, and they did the same thing as Cingular is doing now. It is hard enough from a CS perspective to keep track of all the old rate plans, so having people switch to a new plan is fine with me. Correct me if I am wrong, but a transtion from blue to orange is still a choice. Cingular is not forcing a change...yet. If they do force a change, that changes things.

I do think they should not be charging the $18 fee to go from blue to orange (at least I think they are doing that...)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yep, transition from blue to orange is still a choice.

About the $18 fee, although I've always been against the $18 fee, being that they charge the $18 to any orange customer anyway in order to get a new phone upgrade, charging $18 for migration with phone upgrade to blue customers is really not treating them any different than any orange customer. So that's ok. However, I will always be against Cingular treating blue customers differently than orange customers and so I agree with you they should not charge the $18 fee to blue people moving to orange as long as they are NOT buying a new phone through the upgrade program. I've heard many people get charged the $18 fee even though they bring their own orange phone for the upgrade which is plain wrong. If you don't buy a phone from Cingular, or pay 100% retail price, you should not have to pay the $18 fee for migration!

Also, probably the most atrocious thing is that a blue customer cannot get an Orange phone through the upgrade program without first migrating to a Cingular plan. Right now, blue customers are not elegible to migrate unless they have fulfilled their blue contract just like orange customers. When their contract is over, they should be elegible to get a new blue phone upgrade. But guess what? There are no blue phones anymore! Their only choice is to leave their blue plan, which probably has more minutes for the money, and get a Cingular plan and phone. Cingular should've continued offering blue-compatible phones for blue customers who are elegible for upgrade and want to upgrade their old phones. Or at least unlock orange phones so that they work with blue SIM cards!

Now for the saddest part: What happens if I am a blue customer and my phone breaks or is stolen? Cingular has no choice for me but to ask me to migrate to orange or screw myself! I recently went through this ordeal where my nephew lost his phone at the gym and I had no choice but to get him another phone FROM EBAY and a new AT&T SIM card FROM EBAY! Why can't a blue customer just buy a new phone and SIM right from the company that is providing the service?

Yes, I did explore the option of having him migrate to orange, but he is in a blue family plan and it will cost them an additional $40/month to get less minutes if they move to orange. So no thanks! they are staying blue.

Anyway, sorry to take this thread off track.

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They shouldn't charge this to anyone as you mentioned. I guess it's "OK" since they are treating them equally.

It's all about squeezing savings out of the blue customers. Cingular will certainly come out ahead (financially) as they migrate blue to orange and the bluse customers "get less" with the new Cingular.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I pretty much abhor all of Cingular's policies anymore.

*bad blue/orange integration already mentioned
    * crappy phone prices in store and some online
    * no reason to stay after a contract expires, besides high-pricing and an $18 fee (no New Every Two)

Cingular used to be about the customer back in 2002 or so. All of those consumer friendly ideals went out the window. But hey...it works for me.

Where is Cingular overloaded?

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It shouldn't surprise anybody considering that Cingular is mostly run now by former AWS execs.

10. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is a Major problem for us Blue customers, not being able to get a replacement phone if our phone is lost, broken or stolen & if you don't have insurance on it, your SOL.
    This is why I have 2 spare unlocked phones laying around, just in case something happens to 1 of them, I can't afford to move my family plan to an Orange plan either.
    I am going to get some spare SIM's to have on hand just in case of a problem as well, I have 19 Months left on my contract & don't want to give up my current plan, unless they give me a compariable plan.

11. EaglewarriorTXB

EaglewarriorTXB New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I wanted to go originally with Sprint but I started off with Alltel. Sometimes I think it was a bad move on my part.

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I found out over this weekend, that Cingular has decided to drop the $18.00 Migration fee for blue customers, I guess too many people have complained about it.

13. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    Bobolito,

I had a T60d when I first started wth Cingular in 2002. In 2003, my phone was either lost or stolen while out of the country. My contract had expired.

I did not want to give up my contract, so I agreed to buy a T62u. Initially, they wanted me to give up my 29.99 250/3500 plan in exchange for a GAIT plan. They wanted to charge me the 18 dollar fee. When I asked why they were charging an activation fee, they said that it was not an activation fee, but an "upgrade fee." I said "call it what you like, but it is an activation fee." They wanted me to pay over 100 dollars for it, but I pushed and was able to get it for about 50 dollars, after a service credit, when I asked how to cancel service. I said I would go to Verizon or Sprint, which other family members had. Since I was paying the retail price, they did not charge me the upgrade fee. Perhaps that had changed, but it is nice to see they are not charging Blue customers who want to migrate. Although, I don't ever see wanting to give up my nice Blue plan! :)

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's good news.

15. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's about time.

16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    So I wonder is Nascar going to become Sprint

17. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not for another 3 years, unless they have a clause in the 5 year contract with Nascar. If they still sell Nextel as Sprint/Nextel, then they may leave it alone or modify it, between Nextel, Alltel & Cingular I am suprised no other wireless company has joined in as a sponsor, maybe next year.